Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 8,217 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband was offered a job in Knoxville (verbal), and we are expecting the final paper offer to come through soon. We are looking to move around the end of September/beginning of October, but are wondering what areas are the best for a young married couple with no kids?

We will be renting an apartment to start. We are looking for a large 2br which seems affordable based on a brief search. We currently pay $1150 so really anything below that is fine. He's going to be working north of I-40 at 162 so he'd like to have a decent commute (under 30 minutes). Should we focus on living in West Knoxville?? What is that area like?

I won't have a job, and not sure what area of the city that I would find one, so we would just prioritize location based on his commute for now. We don't want to be near college students, and want to have a quiet area, but we are also only 27 so we want to make sure that we have things to do when we want to. We are from Dallas so we'd like to be near good shopping, restaurants and close to nightlife but not necessarily living right above the bars. A pet-friendly area is also a must because we have a dog. If anyone has specific apartment complex recommendations that would be great, or just general areas of the city to look in. I think we may try to visit next weekend if the offer comes through quick enough and just want to be able to narrow things down.

Also, please tell me there is GOOD Tex Mex.... please please please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,203,009 times
Greystone Summit Apartments - Knoxville, TN:* Location

Check these guys out. It's a pet-friendly, gated apartment community just off 162. The commute will be 10 minutes or less to work and 15 minutes to all the West Knoxville restaurants and shopping. Good Tex-Mex may be hard to find, compared to Dallas. There is a Mexican restaurant with patio dining just down the hill from the apartment complex. Start there first and work your way out to other options.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 AM

394 posts, read 794,683 times
I would definitely stick to West Knox. The Cedar Bluff area would place you half way between work and downtown night life.

Here is an apartment complex I drive by regularly that looks pretty good and are pet friendly (offers free pet sitting!):
Welcome Home to Copper Pointe Apartment Homes in Knoxville TN near UT

Knoxville is much smaller than Dallas but the west side offers most,if not all, the amenities of large metro areas. I came from the DC metro area.

Deinitely come and visit before the move if at all possible. Drive around to various areas and see what floats your boat. You might want to tie up with a real estate agent to show you around. A good agent will be happy to cultivate a client even if you're only renting for the short term.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:41 AM

44 posts, read 74,062 times
My wife and I are in the same position, except we do have a daughter. We ate liking in west Knoxville area, and will be down this weekend to look around some more. I will post back and let you know if we see anything interesting.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 AM

357 posts, read 800,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet12 View Post
Also, please tell me there is GOOD Tex Mex.... please please please?

Good Tex Mex can be found at Chuy's which just opened about a month ago.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,653 times
Welcome Redvelvet12, you will love Knoxville and yes the new Chuys, is great and several Mexican places to chosee from. Knoxville is so spread out, with little towns everywhere, and many good choices, with young neighborhoods, full of folks your ages. Working North, you may need to visit the Powell area, off of Emory Rd. Welcome and good luck, and be sure and buy some big orange Colors, not the orange your used to, for the real UT.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,614 times
I'd forget Powell. It's too out of the way for what you guys are looking for in a new home. I'd stick with west Knoxville.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:52 PM

5 posts, read 8,217 times
Thanks to everyone who answered. I can't wait to visit. We just want to make sure he has the offer in writing before we do. Sounds like the west side of knoxville will be perfect. Anything else I should check out while I'm visiting? I'll probably make it a Friday-Sunday trip.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:31 PM

394 posts, read 794,683 times
Definitely visit downtown, it's totally walkable. Also check here: Metro Pulse: Local Knoxville, Tennessee things to do, movies, music, dining, nightlife, entertainment and tourist activities. for local goings on, eateries, night life etc. A visit to the Turkey Creek shopping area will convince you that K'ville has just about everything any major metro area has (it paralells I 40 between Lovell and Campbell Stations roads).

A day trip into the mountains will show you how easy it is to go from urban hustle and bustle to beautiful country in the K'ville area.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:05 AM

42 posts, read 59,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
Good Tex Mex can be found at Chuy's which just opened about a month ago.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville