Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,577 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, my husband and I will be moving to Knoxville for at least 6 months here soon (possibility that it will turn into something longer, but right now only a 6 month guarantee of work). He'll be working as a post-doc at UT, I'm currently an elementary ESL teacher but not counting on being able to get a job with the school system considering the time constraints, so I'm considering alternatives like tutoring, teaching adult learners of English or Spanish, or English-Spanish translation.

We're looking for recommendations for affordable areas to rent, ($600 or less) somewhat close to campus (20 minute drive or less). We're concerned about finding somewhere that will let us sign only a 6 month lease. I usually peruse crime maps to inform my concept of a neighborhood's safety since I find that "reputations" about safety are often based on outdated information or other prejudices. No kids so we're not concerned with the school zone. We currently enjoy living in a very multicultural area of South Nashville.

Any potential job leads or information about organizations that could use my skill set would also be appreciated.

Also any recommendations for ethnic restaurants, I am sure I will be missing the restaurants here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
What kind of ethnic food do you like?

Is $600 for a one bedroom?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM

$600 or less for a very spacious one bedroom, or 2 bedroom. Currently in a 2 bedroom but have done one before. Dishwasher is a must.

We enjoy living in one of the most diverse zip codes in the country right now with over 130 language groups represented here. We regularly enjoy Indian, Ethiopian, Kurdish/Persian/Middle Eastern, Central American, Thai/Lao, Caribbean (Puerto Rican/Cuban), and authentic Mexican food (I'm a bit -very- picky about my Mexican food), in restaurants and grocery. Okay so we eat a lot. So basically anything, our biggest holes in Nashvegas are a lack of Spanish food and Algerian or Moroccan cuisine. I get the impression the West Side of Knoxville is more diverse but it also seems a bit pricey and further from UT campus, we were looking at a lot of options south of town but are really open to suggestions since we are very unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks for all advice in advance!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
You are not going to find the diversity you are looking for. We are so much smaller than Nashville. However, we do have the flagship UT school - as you know - and we do have some diversity. For instance, we have an Ethiopian restaurant as well as several middle eastern restaurants, tons of Thai restaurants - even an eccentric Egyptian restaurant that probably isn't very authentic, although the owners are Egyptian, but its entertainment value affords it a cult following. It's called King Tut's.

Knoxville is quaint with a beautifully restored downtown and it feels like a very large town. Diversity is here but it is just not going to be on the level that you are use to. It's a lovely city if you give it a chance.

There are apartments to be had on the westside. I know of one on Northshore that will get you a large 2-bedroom for about $645. I don't think there is an additional fee for a six-month lease. The drive to UT is less than 15 minutes, easily. There are probably other well-kepts secrets throughout the city. Just don't look for a place that is in a diverse setting that you describe because there is no such neighborhood.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 AM

Gosh Ethiopian on Sutherland Ave is good. As for Indian, we have Taj, Bombay Palace, Indian Cuisine, Dawat, and Sitar. There's also a really great Indian market off of Downtown West Blvd. If you like any of this let me know and I'll give the links to them.

As Hik said, there's lots of Thai food. There's a Middle Eastern place next to Gosh that's called Holy Land.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Also, check out Knoxville Apartment Guide - Find Apartments in Knoxville, TN

It's pretty extensive and the site allows you to narrow it down by area and price. You could check out North Knoxville and UT/Downtown as well.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the advice, we understand Knoxville won't be the same as where we are, and we are ready for a change.

As far as neighborhood recommendations I am hearing North, West, and Downtown. How do these rank in affordability? Access to basic shopping? (Grocery, Walmart, Etc.) Traffic? I will use the Knoxville Apartment Guide, thanks. We have been looking on Craigslist and it seems the most affordable area is south of town, does that sound accurate? Thanks for all replies.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM

I think South Knoxville is cheap and close to downtown and the UT campus. It lacks in shopping though. West Knoxville has the most shopping and is the most congested. It's also the most expensive, but there are cheaper apartments there as you'll see in the Apartment Guide. You can find cheap apartments in all sections of the city except downtown.

All areas will be near basic shopping with Wal-Marts and grocery stores, even South Knoxville.

I think you may like West and North Knoxville the best. They have better shopping and restaurant options that does South Knoxville. I am at the Cedar Bluff exit in West Knoxville and it's 15 mins to downtown and the UT campus.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Cheapest is East Knoxville but for the most part, it is the hood. There are better spots but not much, really. South Knoxville is kind of gritty and as the Accounting Dude () says, no shopping, really. Fourth and Gill is interesting. It's a gentrified area to the immediate north of the downtown area. It may be too expensive but you never know. You might be able to find an apartment from a private party. Just north of that is Old North Knoxville and beyond is Lincoln Park, Oakwood, Emoriland and Fairmont. Those may interest you. Just to the west is Bearden (I live here!). It can have some diversity and interesting restaurants like Gosh - the Ethiopian Restaurant. There is the very old money in Sequoyah and then Bearden. Apartment deals can be had if you look hard enough.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
There are some cheap areas off Sutherland but some are a bit gritty. There used to be UT housing on Sutherland which supported a wide variety of ethnic groceries. The groceries are still there but the housing is gone.

Bearden (west) has the widest variety of shopping. South Knoxville has the most trees and nature. North knoxville has the most hipsters. There are also hipsters in Parkridge (east). You may wind up living where you can get a 6 mo lease. We may be able to give you an opinion of a particular street/apartment complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: