Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:09 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times

Advertisements

California is like another planet compared to east Tennessee. I have been to Ca twice in my life and both times I faced huge culture shock. The traffic, fast pace and the eccentric people that congregate there were so different than Im used too. I think anyone moving here from Ca would face the same shock. It sounds like you want the slower pace of life, so that should be something you like about it here. Tennessee is a socially/politically conservative state so you should be prepared for that as well. Traditional values are the norm here, at least much more than they are in California. Im not trying to start a political debate, but the whole red state/blue state thing is real, and you will notice the difference. Another thing about our area that will be different for you is our weather. West coast weather is much more stable, here in east TN we get a lot more of a seasonal change than you get. Its not ridiculous like it is in the upper Midwest, but we do get hot humid summers and we have a brief cool winter. Accumulating snow happens once or twice a winter, usually no more than an inch ore two. (unless you live in high elevations, then you get more). You will like the green we have here though, it will seem very lush to you. I think you should take a trip over here and see for yourself. In fact if you drive it you'll see a lot of pretty country between here and California. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 05:27 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
Wow Daniel! You got all of that from two trips??? I can see traffic being a shock, as well as maybe the number of people there. But you obviously did not spend enough time there, or even live there to find out that most of the people there are just regular folks.

What if the only experience someone had of east TN was a visit to Gatlinburg? The traffic, the weird people, the never ending tee shirt shops?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Wow Daniel! You got all of that from two trips??? I can see traffic being a shock, as well as maybe the number of people there. But you obviously did not spend enough time there, or even live there to find out that most of the people there are just regular folks.

What if the only experience someone had of east TN was a visit to Gatlinburg? The traffic, the weird people, the never ending tee shirt shops?

Yes you right Ive only been there two times but I visited the big coastal cities and that is where most people there live. I know there are parts of the state that are quieter and more laid back, but the population of that state mostly lives in the places Ive seen. (LA, SF etc.) Also the progressive values of California are well known, as is the amount of eccentric people. I know people that have left California in order to escape that kind of thing. I think its fair to say that someone moving from California is going to face a bit of culture shock. Some people will find the change to be a pleasant one, others may not.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM

Sorry Daniel, I just have to disagree. I lived in Los Angeles for over 40 years. During that time, I lived in the San Fernando Valley, in several different cities, Simi Valley in close by Ventura County, and in Long Beach very close to the Orange County border.

The "STEREOTYPES" you describe are well known, however, if you spend a little time, and get away from the tourist spots, you will find people that are quite "real". Like I said before, if the only exposure one had of Tennessee was a trip to Gatlinburg with a side trip to Scott County they would have a very skewed vision of what Tennessee is really like. Kind of like your vision of CA.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry Daniel, I just have to disagree. I lived in Los Angeles for over 40 years. During that time, I lived in the San Fernando Valley, in several different cities, Simi Valley in close by Ventura County, and in Long Beach very close to the Orange County border.

The "STEREOTYPES" you describe are well known, however, if you spend a little time, and get away from the tourist spots, you will find people that are quite "real". Like I said before, if the only exposure one had of Tennessee was a trip to Gatlinburg with a side trip to Scott County they would have a very skewed vision of what Tennessee is really like. Kind of like your vision of CA.

I did not intend to offend you with my post. I did feel overwhelmed by the place, but that is just me. Ill admit I did not spend time in the central valley of Ca, a place ive heard is nice. Ive also heard N. California is quite different. My family would like to see the west coast so Ill likely visit a third time sometime in the future.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
Quote:

Agree completely. I lived my first 34 years in Ventura County (near Simi Valley) with a couple years in Northern California. California is a HUGE state with LOTS of different landscapes and people. I never cared spending much time in Los Angeles, as it was too big, busy, and pretentious (in some parts), but the state offers so much more than the typical stereotype.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Just moved from Nor Cal to East TN and we are loving it. We love the slower pace of life, the genuine people, the lack of traffic, the beautiful, peaceful scenery. We are so pleased with the lower cost of living, utilities, gasoline, taxes, etc. It was not a culture shock for us because our part of CA was a rural area 30 minutes from a city, and that's the kind of place we moved to. We do see a big change re: red state/blue state, but we don't wear our politics on our sleeves, so it's not a problem. Knoxville proper is pretty much more tolerant and diverse than the outlying rural areas, so we behave accordingly. Come for a visit, that's the only way to see if it's to your liking.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 PM

20 posts, read 29,778 times
thanks again everyone, we will visit this fall or coming spring and see.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:01 AM

24 posts, read 21,831 times
Default Moving to Knoxville- Need advice quick

My family and I are looking to move to West Knoxville. We are from Michigan which sucks if you ask us, lol. We are planning to spend a week there the first week of August this year (2015). I don't know where to start when we get there and feel a little overwhelmed about that. We have done a TON of research for a year now on the area and have talked to people we know who have visited and all of them had nothing but good things to say. Any help out there on where to start when we get there??? We know we want to live in West Knoxville or Maryville and a great high school is a must. Beyond that I don't know where to go or what she should do once we are there scouting

Old 07-08-2015, 06:08 PM

Spend your week here driving all over the place and talking to as many people as you can. You will get a pretty good idea of what feels good to you in a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville