Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 08:29 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
Do the newspaper reports not just knoxville but several others seem well kinda like a fifth grader wrote them or is it just me that seems it's that way, you see the story headline, read it thinking hmm this might be interesting and it basically says absolutely nothing, ya just wanna scream at times.
Joee, no offense, but have you been drinking eggnog?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:50 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,130 times
ya tryin to say it's just me are ya

Old 12-20-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
ya tryin to say it's just me are ya
Just razzin' ya on your post as you diss the newspaper.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:55 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,329 times
Quote:
Do the newspaper reports not just knoxville but several others seem well kinda like a fifth grader wrote them or is it just me that seems it's that way, you see the story headline, read it thinking hmm this might be interesting and it basically says absolutely nothing, ya just wanna scream at times.
Newspaper headlines are what they are supposed to be....just headlines, not comprehensive outlines of a story. There are space and word limitations and the idea is to grab reader attention within those space restrictions. As an example, one of the overused words that British media uses is "row." Not much usage of dispute, disagreement, altercation, etc. in headlines or content. I was told by an Irish media editor that "row" (almost never used in this country) is used there to save space. As for content, newspaper stories generally are written for someone with a lesser amount of education (relatively speaking), and not Phi Beta Kappas. There are some publications/markets that are an exception to that.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Newspaper headlines are what they are supposed to be....just headlines, not comprehensive outlines of a story. There are space and word limitations and the idea is to grab reader attention within those space restrictions. As an example, one of the overused words that British media uses is "row." Not much usage of dispute, disagreement, altercation, etc. in headlines or content. I was told by an Irish media editor that "row" (almost never used in this country) is used there to save space. As for content, newspaper stories generally are written for someone with a lesser amount of education (relatively speaking), and not Phi Beta Kappas. There are some publications/markets that are an exception to that.
Weisgarber - you sound as if you work for the newspaper?

On the subject: The biggest eye opener for me personally regarding the media was when I was a juror on a sensational murder trial here. I had someone keep the local papers for me to read after the trial was over. I also had the local news stations TIVO'd. I was amazed by two things: 1. What was kept from jurors (following the letter of the law) and 2. How what really happened had a "twist" on it by the reporters.

I understand that many, many journalists are ethical and try their very best to report the facts. The fact remains that there are editors and publishers and overall, media is in sales. They need to sell their products (newspapers, ads to companies based on # of viewers) and catchy headlines (and lead in stories) sell newspapers.

I think once the public take off their rose colored glasses, while trying not to become a cynic, then the headlines will make much more sense.

Last edited by Beretta; 12-21-2008 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: edited just for weisgarber :D

Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,432 times
Checking in on everyone this windy, chilly Sunday! No excitement here either, just same old -
s t u f f ! I believe I could wish long and hard for a white Christmas but my chances of a Hurricane are much better. My dd will be leaving on the 26th to spend 10 days in your wonderful state, and she can not wait to get there. Lots of friends there. Then the ds and dil will be following her up on the 27th, dont understand why they can't go together and share the expense but....kids you know? I on the other hand am still stranded in this GOD forsaken state.
Okay don't have anything else to say for now anyway...trying to help keep this thread alive.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM

204 posts, read 580,692 times
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I almost longed for Florida while standing in the wind trying to put groceries in the car today. WINDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and a cold wind. But only for a moment then remembered humidity.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:57 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,432 times
Tn405 - I so want to be moved b4 the humidity gets back here in afew short months! Nothing compares to steppin out of the air conditioner into a sauna! I worked out in it for the past 8 summers and I flat out REFUSE to do it again. It was choking the life out of me! Much rather layer the clothes than to try to go around half naked and have everyone laughing at me, lol.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I was a newspaper reporter, and no, I was not in sales. I could have cared less about advertisers or sales for that matter. What mattered was getting the story to the reader.

Even when I worked at the small local paper, on occasion a salesperson would wander into the editorial area and drop hints on how we should write something. Sometimes they were very blunt. Apparently, an advertiser knew we were going to write something that would put them in a bad light, or whatever. Or they would want us to highlight a business.

The editor would throw them out of the room.

Yes, you don't use million dollar words. You are suppose to write as simply as possible so people understand what's going on. However, you can still do that with style.

The Knoxville Sentinel is not the New York Times, but it use to be worse when I first moved here. They have improved.

Also, I use to cover the local courthouse for ten years, much to my chagrin. I started there at the weekly and got stuck with the job when I moved to the daily. I never put a spin on anything. I felt that truth really is stranger than fiction.

That is not to dispute your experience, SMG. Not all reporters, or employees, for that matter, are created equal.

I haven't written an article since 1995. The business was in transition then and has changed quite a bit since. It's now fashionable to take potshots at reporters or worse, including conspiracy theories. My observation is that many reporters have grown lazy; willing to take a press release and stick their byline on it.

Unfortunately, their audience has changed, too. There are less readers and now that advertising has taken a nose dive due to the economy they may be taking their last gasp.

Sad because without the press all of our lives would be markedly different, but I suppose the internet will take up the slack. Maybe that's a good thing. I won't have to hear the phrase, "That's how they sell newspapers," but I'm sure they'll come up with something else.

-30-

Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 PM

780 posts, read 1,765,904 times
Default Suzanne

I just talked to Suzanne and her and her DH made it here about 5:00 yesterday evening, they got a tree today and decorated it so now they are all settled in for their two week stay. We will be meeting them Tuesday for lunch.

Well, stay warm tonite everyone, get out the Down blankets, turn up the heat and cozy up to a nice warm fire(if you have one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville