Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,614 times

Advertisements

Maryville is a suburb of Knoxville. It has a lot of conveniences so it's not like living in a remote small town. Plus, what it doesnt have you will find nearby in Knoxville. I think you'd like it without feeling like you've moved to the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 11:03 PM

437 posts, read 649,827 times
And that's kinda what I'm getting at..... Can Maryville stand on it's own, or does it need another town or city nearby, to feed it?

Grocery? Is that in Maryville, or in a neighboring town? *I've heard the Kroger is not in Maryville, but is a mile away*

Does Knoxville have a good transportation system for those who rely on that, and need to get to basics, such as a bank, a post office, grocery store, *coffee shop*<-----you decide if that's a need. lol

bullie~

Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
I think you'd like it without feeling like you've moved to the middle of nowhere.
Thank you! Did you move from a larger city to Knoxville? What about Knoxville drew you there, or keeps you there?

bullie~

Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Actually, Maryville isn't really a suburb or Knoxville. It's a large town that can stand on its own. The Kroger is in Maryville, perhaps a mile from downtown, but it is in Maryville.

The real question here is what do you need? First and foremost, will you need a job? Look in Knoxville and Maryville and that may determine where you live. People commute but it has been my experience that people that work in Knoxville and live there seem happier about that situation. Same goes for Maryville.

Also, bear in mind that Knoxville is a small city, very small by Chicago standards. That might be more to your liking.

And finally, will you have transportation? Transit around here will be nothing like Chicago, either.

You may ultimately decide to move out of the city of Chicago but into one of its suburbs.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Actually, Maryville isn't really a suburb or Knoxville. It's a large town that can stand on its own. The Kroger is in Maryville, perhaps a mile from downtown, but it is in Maryville.

The real question here is what do you need? First and foremost, will you need a job? Look in Knoxville and Maryville and that may determine where you live. People commute but it has been my experience that people that work in Knoxville and live there seem happier about that situation. Same goes for Maryville.

Also, bear in mind that Knoxville is a small city, very small by Chicago standards. That might be more to your liking.

And finally, will you have transportation? Transit around here will be nothing like Chicago, either.

You may ultimately decide to move out of the city of Chicago but into one of its suburbs.

Yeah, ummm....NO, that's not gonna happen.

And I don't need a job. And I did ask the real questions.... Does each have a bank, a grocery store, a post office, medical facility, centrally located? Are these within walking distance, or would one need a car? Some wee towns have everything up and down "Main Street". Knoxville will be different, I'm aware, as things will be more spread out. My friend, who is living in Maryville, was at the Kroger yesterday, and reiterated that it is indeed in Alcoa, not Maryville. Yes, just a mile out of town, but not in town. So that answers that about a grocery store in Maryville. Answer: No. One must have a car to get to the grocery store.

Trust me, I know Knoxville is not a big city, by my standards, and I realize that Maryville is very small, and that's not the issue. I'm asking why people love living in either Maryville or Knoxville, and if one needs a car to get the basics. *(Answer about groceries in Maryville answered.) Thanks!

bullie~

Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 AM

148 posts, read 305,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post

And I don't need a job. And I did ask the real questions.... Does each have a bank, a grocery store, a post office, medical facility, centrally located? Are these within walking distance, or would one need a car? Some wee towns have everything up and down "Main Street". Knoxville will be different, I'm aware, as things will be more spread out. My friend, who is living in Maryville, was at the Kroger yesterday, and reiterated that it is indeed in Alcoa, not Maryville. Yes, just a mile out of town, but not in town. So that answers that about a grocery store in Maryville. Answer: No. One must have a car to get to the grocery store.

Trust me, I know Knoxville is not a big city, by my standards, and I realize that Maryville is very small, and that's not the issue. I'm asking why people love living in either Maryville or Knoxville, and if one needs a car to get the basics. *(Answer about groceries in Maryville answered.) Thanks!

bullie~

grocies in Maryville? Here are some addresses

Food City

2135 E Broadway Ave, Maryville, TN 37804 » Map (865) 981-4330
0.0 stars

Food Lion Inc

1793 W Broadway Ave, Maryville, TN 37801 » Map (865) 984-3458
0.0 stars

Walmart Supercenter

2410 US Highway 411 S, Maryville, TN 37801 » Map (865) 982-3660
1.0 stars

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
You know, I'm trying to help yet I detect an attitude. Maybe not but I'll caution you that folks around here are very different than in the Midwest.

One more thing. There is a Kroger in Maryville and one in Alcoa. If you Googled you would have found that out and this give and take would have never happened.

Best of luck.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&ved=0CKABELYD

Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
And that's kinda what I'm getting at..... Can Maryville stand on it's own, or does it need another town or city nearby, to feed it?

Grocery? Is that in Maryville, or in a neighboring town? *I've heard the Kroger is not in Maryville, but is a mile away*

Does Knoxville have a good transportation system for those who rely on that, and need to get to basics, such as a bank, a post office, grocery store, *coffee shop*<-----you decide if that's a need. lol

bullie~
It could stand on it's own... I mentioned it as a suburb because Knoxville is the primary job market for the metro area (in which Maryville is included). Kroger is in Maryville, but there's also one in Alcoa. Alcoa and Maryville, while two different towns, blend together since they're literally right next to one another. Maryville has many grocery stores, but more upscale, specialty stores can be found in Knoxville. Those stores are along the lines of Trader Joes.

Knoxville has its KAT buses, which can be limited. If you live in the more dense, urban neighborhoods near downtown then you can get to all the basics by riding the KAT buses. You should check out the link below and see which neighborhoods have bus service. Again, this is in Knoxville and not in Maryville.

Welcome to KAT, Knoxville Area Transit!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM

No attitude, just being direct. I did Google, and the Kroger that came up was the one my friend told me about, in Alcoa. smh.... so you can see my confusion. He lives there in Maryville.

I understand people are different, no matter where a person moves. Even in the Midwest, one area will be very different from another. It's going to be a change of life, for sure.

My questions about things being within walking distance, in Maryville, are still hanging. I'm disabled, and so my needs are a bit different than some. It would be great to move to a small town where the essentials are all centrally located. It could be very difficult on some days, to walk too far....

I'd probably fare better in Knoxville, because I am direct, sarcastic and have been a Chicago gal for most of my life. I can't wait to get the hell outta here, lol, so it's not as though I'm lookin' for a replacement. I want to downscale, BIG time. My pal loves Maryville.... I need to find out if it's for me, with all I have to deal with, daily.

Thanks for your help.

bullie~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You know, I'm trying to help yet I detect an attitude. Maybe not but I'll caution you that folks around here are very different than in the Midwest.

One more thing. There is a Kroger in Maryville and one in Alcoa. If you Googled you would have found that out and this give and take would have never happened.

Best of luck.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&ved=0CKABELYD

Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:

bullie~
There is a Kroger in Alcoa, but there is also another in Maryville. Maryville also has other grocery stores. They can be within walking distance if you live very close to them, but honestly Maryville is better navigated via car.

I like living in Knoxville because we have big city amenities, without big city headaches. We have great stores, restaurants, a great downtown, theatre, etc. We dont have major traffic issues and the cost of living isnt through the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville