Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:11 PM

26 posts, read 129,795 times

Advertisements

For those who don't know, the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap in Tennessee is one of, if not the greatest, driving roads in the world. Containing 318 curves in an 11-mile stretch, the Tail is visited by both car enthusiasts and motor cyclists from all over the globe. While it brings a healthy amount of tourist dollars to the region, the curvy two-lane road that runs on US-129 has effectively been shut down by an overbearing Tennessee Highway Patrol.

Apparently the governor of Tennessee, Phil Bredesen, has instituted a program to reduce traffic deaths and accidents on US 129, and so the 11-mile stretch known as the Tail of the Dragon has been saturated with Tennessee Highway Patrol officers writing tickets at a hand-cramping rate. The situation has gotten so bad, US 129 is now being called Tennessee's newest toll road. The Tail of the Dragon website is keeping a running list of tickets that have been issued and why, and the reasons are rather ridiculous. Cars and motorcycles are being ticketed for literally just touching the double yellow line that indicates no passing allowed. Tickets for going 5 mph above the posted 30 mph limit are also supposedly common. And then there are reports of blatant harrassment, with THP officers caught tailgating drivers for miles and threatening arrest for minor violations.

Enthusiasts and those invested in the health of the region are trying to fight the crackdown, even keeping an ongoing photo archive of THP cruisers breaking the law themselves. Alas, authorities have not relented and will reportedly be watching the Dragon like a hawk for at least the next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Default Interesting information

C: Interesting information. Never got there yet personally, but have read the web site for more than a year. Does not sound good for the tourists, however if THREE people died one weekend on a 35mph road something strange there.
Someone mentions spending rest of summer in Virginia.! Need to also read papers as state in MAJOR issue with DUI. Even worse if you are a Va native.
Now trying to force $10,000 DUI fine. Other measures not working, so also be careful. Yes , I feel harass from Cocoa Beach ,Fla car shows when got cycle parking ticket between bldgs, where the event staff said to park and used a old broken piece of concrete as a kick-stand and received a ticket for "Parking on a Sidewalk" Well Cocoa Beach ,Fla with all your hotels never going thru your tourist county ever again.
Spend many Daytona Beach "Bike Weeks" and yes Thousands from all over country, some get roudy after midnight, and every year about 15 or so deaths, also use to be many bikes Stolen, very HEAVY police turnout and have LOWERED the theft activity. Also very strict on the women lately and $150 ticket fine for exposing a chest,(No Pro_Rate if only One Side), so all governors have challenge.
Sorry for the business people in your area, guess will be staying home.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
I read all over the Net that "US 129 at the Tail of the Dragon is America's number one motorcycle and sports car road".

No, it isn't. US 129 is a PUBLIC ROAD that is the only reasonable route between Maryville TN and Graham County NC. People routinely drive SUVs, trucks and other vehicles on this winding mountain road. I just drove it, and I quickly got tired of motorcycles tailgating me; 30 MPH is a reasonable restriction for this road when you aren't driving a motorcycle or a sports car.

Most amusing is the "tree of shame" at Deal's Gap which shows the debris from innumerable motorcycle accidents, many of which resulted in injury and death, not to mention the huge cost to the community for the EMS services, and frequent blocking of the roadway to drag out the victims.

I applaud the Tennessee Highway Patrol for cracking down on the bikers in this area. I travel this road frequently and I'm sick and tired of motorcycles riding my ass because I'm not going fast enough to suit them. Want to drive your motorcycle to the limit, and endanger yourself and others? Fantastic! Do it on private property.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I read all over the Net that "US 129 at the Tail of the Dragon is America's number one motorcycle and sports car road".

No, it isn't. US 129 is a PUBLIC ROAD that is the only reasonable route between Maryville TN and Graham County NC. People routinely drive SUVs, trucks and other vehicles on this winding mountain road. I just drove it, and I quickly got tired of motorcycles tailgating me; 30 MPH is a reasonable restriction for this road when you aren't driving a motorcycle or a sports car.

Most amusing is the "tree of shame" at Deal's Gap which shows the debris from innumerable motorcycle accidents, many of which resulted in injury and death, not to mention the huge cost to the community for the EMS services, and frequent blocking of the roadway to drag out the victims.

I applaud the Tennessee Highway Patrol for cracking down on the bikers in this area. I travel this road frequently and I'm sick and tired of motorcycles riding my ass because I'm not going fast enough to suit them. Want to drive your motorcycle to the limit, and endanger yourself and others? Fantastic! Do it on private property.
Dave, I have ridden bikes for years, and I agree with you 100%. I have never been over the dragon on anything, simply because I know what it would be like.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 AM

44 posts, read 421,037 times
Exclamation Bikes passing on all those curves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
Dave, I have ridden bikes for years, and I agree with you 100%. I have never been over the dragon on anything, simply because I know what it would be like.
I do not like the bikes riding my bumper in my Ford focus and passing me on all those curves even with the police there! I care more about them than they do!
The dragon is not as bad as I thought it was but I had been on hwy 32 before, never again!
Why will none of those photographers posts the pictures they take of my car? I smiled for all of them!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:02 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

Hear, hear!!

That is the shortest route for us to get to certain areas of NC, and it's a nightmare in the summer. Most of the people on touring bikes are courteous and safe drivers. It's the young guys on the racing bikes in the designer outfits. I applaud the crackdown. So do my neighbors who ride and have to drive over to Cherohala Skyway because they don't feel safe on the Dragon even though it's only 25 minutes from their home.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Theirs dozens of You Tube clips on this........

Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I live on a curvy scenic road myself, and I can tell you the idiots on their sport bikes drive us nuts. Our road has stretches that are safe at 35 and stretches that are safe at 50, but these dopes gun it down the road at speeds of 50 to 70 miles per hour on a rural, winding, residential (5-10 acre properties) road. They don't care about wildlife or pets that might wander into the road. They don't care about the noise they make for people who live here. It's all about them and their thrill-seeking. We frequently see them being scraped up by the EMT's. They have no one to blame but themselves if they get hurt or ticketed. I have no pity for those getting tickets. Slow down and obey the law and you'll have no problems.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 34,727 times
Wow. The beginning of this thread should be "Only for white, crabby, buick/oldsmobile drivers who want to be ridiculous and gripe about something.I'm a 35 year old doctor who recently moved from Los Angeles. I like riding my bike above the speed limit. And driving on major turnpikes and interstates is not typically fun. However, curvy roads are fun. So how about having considerations for others and not simply whining because you're 55 and having nothing better to do?

Old 05-21-2009, 04:08 PM

76 posts, read 210,907 times
Default Are you serious??

ROFL. A 35-year old DOCTOR?? And you haven't yet seen enough people scraped up off the highway to slow down?? Hilarious. And sad...and I'm FAR younger than 55, hon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet4ut View Post
Wow. The beginning of this thread should be "Only for white, crabby, buick/oldsmobile drivers who want to be ridiculous and gripe about something.I'm a 35 year old doctor who recently moved from Los Angeles. I like riding my bike above the speed limit. And driving on major turnpikes and interstates is not typically fun. However, curvy roads are fun. So how about having considerations for others and not simply whining because you're 55 and having nothing better to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville