Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:34 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,296,428 times

Advertisements

OP isn't going to be happy in East TN or really anywhere in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 03:50 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,724,159 times
OP - too bad your housing budget isn't higher since the urban core of Nashville is what you are looking for.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
I think a bunch of you mis read what she was trying to say - or I did.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:57 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
It's tough to misread "religious freak gun nuts" and "rednecks". The OP is not a nice person and I wouldn't want her for a neighbor.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I think a bunch of you mis read what she was trying to say - or I did.
I don't think so. I'm thinking Berkeley, CA is more what they need, ideologically speaking.

They have a pretty rigid groupthink from a progressive's standpoint.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If your looking for warm weather and a more liberal atmosphere then maybe you should look at Florida. That state is a mixed bag politically, and no doubt you could find an area teaming with leftists. I would also think that the Northeastern coast states would fit your values better, no "rednecks" and far left values are common. Boston comes to mind, and the weather in Boston is no where near as cold as where you are at now.

Also the idea that we are racists because of our conservatism is really insulting to us. Different races get along here better than in most areas of the country and we do all that without the foolish PC and leftist rhetoric. This is not a Hollywood movie, and Mississippi burning is not a model for how modern race relations are in most of the South. Rarely do I see much racism.

Good luck to you
Florida has some very inner city areas that vote blue, like Miami, for instance, but it's mostly VERY conservative.

Rochester, MI and Boston MA are sitting on about the same latitude line. The weather isn't going to be much better. In fact, Mass. broke all snow records a couple of years ago.

I'm thinking perhaps Seattle.

But frankly, I would think that most people in Seattle - or anywhere else - would know that the South is going to be very conservative and known for being the Bible Belt and have less stringent gun laws.

Daniel is right that people in the South tend to be less prejudiced, but I think this account is having all of us on. There is no one that would be that clueless and write about it.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:33 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
Here is what I saw in her post "and not living next to anything gross like a truck stop or rednecks ... sorry if that means something different down there but up here it's racist religious freak gun nuts. ".

Maybe I'm in the wrong place too, since I really don't want to be around racist people. I'm not all that crazy about being around what I consider religious freaks either. What I consider a religious freak is someone that drives around with Bible verses painted on their car or van, or plants themselves in Market Square and starts shouting his or her religious beliefs at the top of their lungs, or accosts you in the line at Target and starts talking about how they are saved and you can be too. I'm not sure what constitutes a gun nut in her mind, but maybe its the people that drive around with a rifle in a gun rack in the back window of their pick up.

Before I get jumped on for being in the wrong place too, I will say that I attend church regularly, and I also have a carry permit and own more guns than the average guy. I just don't wear my beliefs on my sleeve, or try to convince others to live their life like me.

I thought the response saying we are friendly state with people who treat each other well, was a bit ironic.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:16 AM

19 posts, read 31,750 times
I've caught up on the posts and want to thank you for the valuable insight, in whatever spirit it was offered. I also want to thank those who have sent me private messages with more detail. I think I've responded to all of you now. For some reason I'm getting notifications for some messages and posts but not all.

I'm happy that some of you understood me. For the rest, I apologize for being clumsy in what I was trying to convey. The fact that so many did not take offense means that i was at least somewhat effective in getting my point across.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 AM

64 posts, read 104,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoolie View Post
I've caught up on the posts and want to thank you for the valuable insight, in whatever spirit it was offered. I also want to thank those who have sent me private messages with more detail. I think I've responded to all of you now. For some reason I'm getting notifications for some messages and posts but not all.

I'm happy that some of you understood me. For the rest, I apologize for being clumsy in what I was trying to convey. The fact that so many did not take offense means that i was at least somewhat effective in getting my point across.
Well said. Some of the responses were quite insightful giving you an idea of just what to expect from the very folks you’d like to avoid.

Anonymity brings out the “best” in “friendly” folks, huh?

Old 06-20-2016, 02:20 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Here is what I saw in her post "and not living next to anything gross like a truck stop or rednecks ... sorry if that means something different down there but up here it's racist religious freak gun nuts. ".

Maybe I'm in the wrong place too, since I really don't want to be around racist people. I'm not all that crazy about being around what I consider religious freaks either. What I consider a religious freak is someone that drives around with Bible verses painted on their car or van, or plants themselves in Market Square and starts shouting his or her religious beliefs at the top of their lungs, or accosts you in the line at Target and starts talking about how they are saved and you can be too. I'm not sure what constitutes a gun nut in her mind, but maybe its the people that drive around with a rifle in a gun rack in the back window of their pick up.

Before I get jumped on for being in the wrong place too, I will say that I attend church regularly, and I also have a carry permit and own more guns than the average guy. I just don't wear my beliefs on my sleeve, or try to convince others to live their life like me.

I thought the response saying we are friendly state with people who treat each other well, was a bit ironic.
But really does anyone think there are entire areas or towns where every one is a racist, religious zealot, or gun nut. Most places while they may lean conservative or liberal, etc. will still have a variety of colors. I cant point to any area and say move there or dont move there because everyone is an XYZ.
I have religious neighbors, some more so than others, an atheist, "gun nuts" from ex-police to hunter to occasional target practice, to I have a gun for protection (mostly from critters) to neighbors who are anti-gun. I have stick up the butt snobby neighbors to wooo hooo hold my beer and watch this redneck neighbors and everything in between. IMO most areas are pretty much like that unless you buy in a really upscale area or really trashy trailer park area, then its more telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville