Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 07:18 AM

16,285 posts, read 10,431,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Our fire protection is from a company called Rural Metro. The rate is based on square footage. I pay $315 a year. It is really a terrible arrangement because only 40 percent of people in Knox County subscribe. The non-subscribers are gambling that they will never have a fire. If they do, Rural Metro will respond and then send them a big bill, but in the meantime, they are free riding on the backs of the rest of us. This is a completely outdated system for a county as developed as Knox. Here is an article about it: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...ts/3143269002/
Well that certainly is a bizarre system. I was under the impression that most deals like this are not "voluntary subscriptions" rather than required for coverage. I actually had no problem when I read stories of fire departments not putting out the fire where residents didn't pay the mandatory fee.

Since I don't know anyone who has ever had major fire damage, and seeing as you can always pay a high price but certainly a cost that would not wipe you out, I could probably see opting out of the volunteer option.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 09-01-2019 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 09:51 AM

377 posts, read 470,795 times
Now you know someone, DaveinMtAiry. We had a house fire in 2003.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:48 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,914,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Well that certainly is a bizarre system. I was under the impression that most deals like this are not "voluntary subscriptions" rather than required for coverage. I actually had no problem when I read stories of fire departments not putting out the fire where residents didn't pay the mandatory fee.

Since I don't know anyone who has ever had major fire damage, and seeing as you can always pay a high price but certainly a cost that would not wipe you out, I could probably see opting out of the volunteer option.
When people opt out, they are counting on others to make sure a fire response is there if they need it. Can you imagine if your house was on fire with your children trapped inside? It doesn't matter that your insurance might reimburse you for the value of your property. They cannot resurrect your children. So, let's acknowledge that we all want someone to respond when we have a fire. There is a cost to have that service available. No one should be able to opt out. It is a bizarre and very unfair system, indeed.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:33 AM

16,285 posts, read 10,431,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
When people opt out, they are counting on others to make sure a fire response is there if they need it. Can you imagine if your house was on fire with your children trapped inside? It doesn't matter that your insurance might reimburse you for the value of your property. They cannot resurrect your children. So, let's acknowledge that we all want someone to respond when we have a fire. There is a cost to have that service available. No one should be able to opt out. It is a bizarre and very unfair system, indeed.
Yes as I said I think the system is wrong and as I said I was fine if it was required and people didn't pay, then they didn't get the service others have paid for. But I can't believe they will allow children to die.

But this system allows you to pay if you use the service, so you really aren't gaming the system, putting all the burden on those who do pay, or causing your house to burn down and people to die. it allows you to pay for the cost, just after the fact rather than in advance. Still I'd be much happier if it was mandatory and most all pay, but since it's not it presents a decision.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:18 AM

377 posts, read 470,795 times
I haven't known anyone who wasn't covered and had a fire, but I have b een under the impression that paying for fire protection is much like an insurance policy. If you don't sign up AND you have a fire, you receive a really big bill from the fire department. Does anyone know if I'm right about that?

Old 09-02-2019, 10:43 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,914,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiOH1 View Post
I haven't known anyone who wasn't covered and had a fire, but I have b een under the impression that paying for fire protection is much like an insurance policy. If you don't sign up AND you have a fire, you receive a really big bill from the fire department. Does anyone know if I'm right about that?
Yes, you are right. Rural Metro will still respond and put out your fire and then you get a big bill. But most people will not have a fire and will never pay anything for that fire station down the street. A very small percentage of the fire department revenue comes from fees to non-subscribers. It is a winning monetary gamble for most people, which is why they should be forced to participate through a property tax. I don't think many people would argue we shouldn't have fire trucks and firefighters serving the county and the only fair way to fund that is a tax......or make it so non-subscribers know that if they have a fire, no one is coming to put it out so they have an incentive to participate.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:26 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
Hey all - please keep in mind that this thread is about Oak Ridge property taxes. This thread is really getting way off topic.

Also, when you talk about fire protection and places like Maryville please keep in mind that there is City of Maryville that has their city coverage and county Maryville.

https://www.maryvillegov.com/fire-de...home-page.html

Now, back to the ORIGINAL topic at hand. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville