Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:32 PM

811 posts, read 2,010,450 times

Advertisements

TOMORROW is the big day--we're loading up all day and by Thursday evening, we'll be UNloading in Knoxville!!

I know it's going to be a lot of work, but I am SOOO giddy with excitement!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Oh, wow!

It seems like it takes forever, and then boom,
it seems like it went by so fast!

If y'all need any help, let us know!

SAFE driving and welcome to Knoxville!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 AM

603 posts, read 2,340,107 times
Congratutulations! You're just a few days ahead of us--we're unloading in Knoxville on Sunday. The work we've got to do in the next few days makes me sick thinking about it, but I'm trying to stay positive.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:03 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charz View Post
Congratutulations! You're just a few days ahead of us--we're unloading in Knoxville on Sunday. The work we've got to do in the next few days makes me sick thinking about it, but I'm trying to stay positive.
You'll be okay. I'm neurotic, resistant to change, have to follow a routine, etc., and I survived, even with the day laborer squatters.

You can do it! Once you get here, you will feel better.

Ask SMG. My house is not in too much disarray.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:26 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,704 times
Don't worry, mysticfire. Greentree is not the ghetto and is, in fact, in a very nice area. It will have quite a few students and hippie types, but is very feasible for the short-term. It is pet friendly (college kids + dogs=explanation for poop not disposed of). You could have done much worse for a temporary base. Warning: You may fall in love with some of the older homes in Forest Heights.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 PM

396 posts, read 1,311,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
TOMORROW is the big day--we're loading up all day and by Thursday evening, we'll be UNloading in Knoxville!!

I know it's going to be a lot of work, but I am SOOO giddy with excitement!!

Best of luck on your move!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 PM

29 posts, read 76,764 times
We were in your boat as well... my husband left a company he loved and had been at for 7 yrs to move closer to the mtns. Does that make any sense or what??? I don't want to retire to my dream home/area... I want to live it while I am still young and retire in it!! He moved here first to work and find a house and ended up in a hotel for 3 months while I was back home with a newborn needless to say...I was stressed. We both were. Things didn't quite work out the way we wanted it to... our house back home was on the market and ended up renting it out to ride out this real estate market wave... and we just found a home close to his new job given the gas prices. BUT.... WE are here and can make our final move in 1-2 years. My sister moved to N. Idaho... again because of the mtns. and they had a rough start but made it...it took a couple years. People live differently out there though... and I mean very differently...!! And welcome to E. TN !! I had a good friend that kept telling me... don't do it... its not a good time, yada yada... when is it ever a good time to move to another state?? I have friends that have 2nd homes hoping to retire in them and in the meantime rent then out and spent 1-2 wks there. I don't want to be old when I finally get to the area/home I dream of. Darn all... I want to live while I'm young. Do you think at 65-70 I can go tubing or hiking?? Make small hikes... you did the right thing. You don't know until you try!!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:21 PM

811 posts, read 2,010,450 times
Thanks for the insight, Eliza--and I agree! DH has actually been on quite a few interviews this week and I think he is going to take one he went on an interview for today!! It's not a "dream job" per se, but it is going to work out well right now, I think! He is also in for another position but they said it takles about a month to get through all the processes with them and they still havent put a $$ figure on the position yet-so we'll see where that goes.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:50 AM

396 posts, read 1,311,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
Thanks for the insight, Eliza--and I agree! DH has actually been on quite a few interviews this week and I think he is going to take one he went on an interview for today!! It's not a "dream job" per se, but it is going to work out well right now, I think! He is also in for another position but they said it takles about a month to get through all the processes with them and they still havent put a $$ figure on the position yet-so we'll see where that goes.
Well that sounds very encouraging Mystic! I don't have my dream job either but we all have to start somewhere. In these times, I feel lucky to have a job but that will change. Hopefully once our economy starts to get back on track, there will be more opportunities for us all and things will really start to take off for you. In the meantime, you have a lot of things to learn about the area and to get used to so that'll keep you both busy. How do you like Bearden so far?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:25 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Sorry to go off topic but in what way do people live differently in Idaho?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville