Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:24 PM

113 posts, read 333,207 times

Advertisements

I have been involved in threads talking about Knoxville, Maryville, Crossville and a few other places. Just want to say this is a fabulous way to get to know the area better or at all and especially:...Appreciate people here willing to really try answering the kinds of questions otherwise asked face to face. What is quite valuable to those from out of the areas is getting different perspectives. Moving to a whole new place can often be life changing or at minumum-fairly stressful...young or old. After the big move it takes a while to get seated in...this is like having a few friends come by to offer encouragement and valuable advice. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 07:05 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Thumbs up I totally agree, catsndogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsndogs View Post
I have been involved in threads talking about Knoxville, Maryville, Crossville and a few other places. Just want to say this is a fabulous way to get to know the area better or at all and especially:...Appreciate people here willing to really try answering the kinds of questions otherwise asked face to face. What is quite valuable to those from out of the areas is getting different perspectives. Moving to a whole new place can often be life changing or at minumum-fairly stressful...young or old. After the big move it takes a while to get seated in...this is like having a few friends come by to offer encouragement and valuable advice. Thank you.
I am so glad that you started this thread, catsndogs. I think that those on this forum do deserve so much credit for helping so many of us out. It is a huge step to take to just pick up and move yourself, body and soul, to a new area. Everyone on this forum has made the process almost painless. (We still have to have a few sleepless nights!!)

My husband and I have thought the same thing as you. If you take notice to other City Data forums, Tennessee stands with very few other states who are this helpful, welcoming and informative. It speaks very well of the natives of TN and the "new natives".

When we visit each month looking for our little spot, we feel like we have just slipped on a cozy pair of old slippers. Everyone makes us feel that we are home while we are there. We are so anxious to make it a reality!

I, too, am so grateful for all of the input for all of those ??s we come up with - some obvious and some kind of mundane probably to most. But, they all get answered. I hope that I can be as helpful some day on the Knoxville forum for a newcomer as everyone has been to me and everyone else who is looking at Tennessee to call home.

Thanks to everyone. You are treasures.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:04 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
I completely agree!

This forum, above any other resource, is the most dependable source of information for me on Tennessee.

I can't think of another avenue I could take if I had a general question or a problem I needed help solving related to TN. Seriously.

Thank you all and I look forward to joining you!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
How nice of Y'all to say, bless your hearts! Yes, there are a great group of folks on here that regularly give great info, advice and help to those looking for info about TN. I just hope those that do move here don't forget about these forums and remember to come back and help out the next family that might have the same questions they did when they were thinking of moving here.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:53 PM

Wink I'll be back again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
How nice of Y'all to say, bless your hearts! Yes, there are a great group of folks on here that regularly give great info, advice and help to those looking for info about TN. I just hope those that do move here don't forget about these forums and remember to come back and help out the next family that might have the same questions they did when they were thinking of moving here.
We have to keep coming back to the forum after the big move, mbmouse. That's what keeps all of these friendships going. Plus, that's when a whole new set of questions kick in!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
When we moved, this forum didn't exist. It was really scary!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:26 AM

69 posts, read 232,429 times
Thank you from me too!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:08 AM

113 posts, read 333,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
When we moved, this forum didn't exist. It was really scary!
Yes, scary; if the forum existed in 05 when we were researching and moving I wish I had tuned in. I am learning so much about Tennessee and after dinner my husband wants to know "what did you find out today?" ...besides informative, it can be quite entertaining ...I was just digressing reading about Scary Hillbilly stories ...geez! Anyway, E. Tenn. rocks and I have met great people in person as well.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Thumbs up Have to agree with you all on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsndogs View Post
Yes, scary; if the forum existed in 05 when we were researching and moving I wish I had tuned in. I am learning so much about Tennessee and after dinner my husband wants to know "what did you find out today?" ...besides informative, it can be quite entertaining ...I was just digressing reading about Scary Hillbilly stories ...geez! Anyway, E. Tenn. rocks and I have met great people in person as well.
That is exactly what I expect too, catsndogs. I think that the forum will be just as valuable to each of us after moving as it was before.

I have learned so much about Tennessee history and wonderful places to see that my husband and I wish we were there already! We have so many weekends to fill up with interesting day trips.

We were were at the summit of Brasstown Bald yesterday in N. GA, and although the state boundaries aren't painted in red on the trees or anything obvious like that, we were able to view Tennessee from up there. Beautiful clear day and what a site.

Can't wait to be there all of the time and let the forum be our daily planner.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I've done a bit more thinking about this.

This forum started in December of 2005 and we had been here a couple of months by then, and I didn't actually come across the forum until almost a year later. So, looking at it from that perspective, I guess the forum is helpful.

I don't know, in the long run, I wonder if I would have been more confused.

I see posts that are dead-on and some that are very untruthful on the Tennessee forum and other state forums. Some "talk up" their area for personal gain or because they really love their area.

But exaggeration backfires. People get a picture in their head, and it may not turn out to be what they thought.

One thing that was very invaluable was the internet. I researched for months before we moved, and I never relied on someone's opinion, but on cold-hard facts.

What continually amazes me is the large percentage of people that have no idea about different sections of the country regarding geography, lifestyles, politics... You would think one would have a fundamental idea about the area they are considering. But they don't, or they think they do.

The Florida forum was packed full of people dreaming of moving there, even though they really didn't know much about it. If you tried to tell what it was like to live there, warts and all, they would become enraged.

A lot of that has died out, lately, but I see more breathless posts regarding Tennessee, now. The grass is almost never greener.

So, I can give my opinions for years to come, but ultimately, people will move where they want to, and decide if it is really for them, or not.

My paradise is not necessarily yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville