Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 51,911 times

Advertisements

I am fairly new to Tennessee and Knoxville. The air is charged in E. Tennessee with football season and the elections right around the corner. The reason I'm writing is to ask for Native Tennesseeans advice.

My political views are fairly moderate and for the longest time I registered as an Independent. One election I registered as a Democrat. But in my social circles I am octracized because I am a "Democrat" and put down because of my political views. I try to never talk politics unless I am asked because I know people will gang up on me and call me names for my political views. It seems very backwards like we're in 1908 instead of 2008. I am wondering if this is normal action against Democrats in Knoxville or East Tennessee? I am seeing a new side from the normally peaceful and friendly Knoxvillian which I do not like much. One of bigotry, hate and non-tolerance. No one told me about this before I moved here. Is this E. Tennessee's soft underbelly? Does anyone have any advice to quell this type of behavior? I just want to live my live in peace, do my job and go to church.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
H10

89 posts, read 308,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberger96 View Post
I am fairly new to Tennessee and Knoxville. The air is charged in E. Tennessee with football season and the elections right around the corner. The reason I'm writing is to ask for Native Tennesseeans advice.

My political views are fairly moderate and for the longest time I registered as an Independent. One election I registered as a Democrat. But in my social circles I am octracized because I am a "Democrat" and put down because of my political views. I try to never talk politics unless I am asked because I know people will gang up on me and call me names for my political views. It seems very backwards like we're in 1908 instead of 2008. I am wondering if this is normal action against Democrats in Knoxville or East Tennessee? I am seeing a new side from the normally peaceful and friendly Knoxvillian which I do not like much. One of bigotry, hate and non-tolerance. No one told me about this before I moved here. Is this E. Tennessee's soft underbelly? Does anyone have any advice to quell this type of behavior? I just want to live my live in peace, do my job and go to church.

Thanks in Advance.
Seriously? Where are you coming from? I'm a Yankee, and everywhere I've lived people are passionate about their political views. Yes, Knoxville is the most Republican major city that I know of; and I know for a fact that it is the most republican metro in TN.

If you would have asked me I would've told you that immediately. I'm an Evangelical Christian Republican who has served in church leadership, but I'm still called Liberal by most native TN Republicans.

Yes Knoxville is ultra-Republican at 63%+, and this is the only place I've heard highly educated people say that they wish we could have 4 more years of Bush.

Personally, I love discussing politics with well informed individuals of different opinions, but maybe that's just me. I'm coming from a family where I'm 1 of 2 Republicans out of maybe 50 people all together. The other Republican is my father who is far more conservative than I am.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:

Thanks in Advance.
And if you expressed conservative Republican views in NYC what do you think would happen?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
I have to agree with your other answers here, and you said it in your first sentence. The air is charged with politics right now. Anywhere, everywhere. Yes, some states are primarily red and some primarily blue. I would assume if you go to blue California and someone said they like McCain, they would get called all kinds of names. CA is known for being a very liberal state. In Tennessee it is primarily red, it is known for being very conservative.
I too am registered Independent so I can have an option, but I have a hard lean to the right. Oh, and I am a "half backer" Originally from CT, then FL, now here.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:

Thanks in Advance.
Ok, you asked for a Native Tennesseans advice so I will give it to you but first you have to answer a question. Are the "circles" that you speak of filled with native Tennesseans (you being the only non native) or are they a melting pot of us and transplants like yourself?

Old 09-18-2008, 04:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I don't get it. I'm a liberal from Mass., registered member of the Obama campaign. (Not that this means anything, I haven't had the time to do anything meaningful for the campaign.)

I haven't had a discussion with anyone except other Democrats.

I am friends with staunch Republicans but I certainly haven't debated with them. I have customers from both sides of the aisle and respect all of their opinions.

Who in the heck are you hanging out with?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:16 PM

780 posts, read 1,766,062 times
I am a Republican but a lot of my friends here are Democrats. We have wonderful discussions about the contest and we get a little lively sometimes but we are all good friends so we dont take any of it personal. Had lunch today with 3 friends, 3 of us were for McCain and 2 were for Obama, didnt have any problems, had nice conversation.

This is just a very touchy year I think for everyone, people have never in all my 65 yrs been as excited and opinionated over a Presidential Race before(except Kennedy who inspired all of us)We are making history this year no matter who wins and believe it or not our nation will survive no matter who wins, so all I have to say is "VOTE" and may the best man win!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
I am a Republican but a lot of my friends here are Democrats. We have wonderful discussions about the contest and we get a little lively sometimes but we are all good friends so we dont take any of it personal. Had lunch today with 3 friends, 3 of us were for McCain and 2 were for Obama, didnt have any problems, had nice conversation.

This is just a very touchy year I think for everyone, people have never in all my 65 yrs been as excited and opinionated over a Presidential Race before(except Kennedy who inspired all of us)We are making history this year no matter who wins and believe it or not our nation will survive no matter who wins, so all I have to say is "VOTE" and may the best man win!!!
This is such a beautiful post.

Thank you, Gailli, my friend.

This embodies the spirit of what we are about, here.

It is touchy, isn't it?

We are in new territory with these horrible circumstances. The only way we can get out of this is to band together.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post

Or woman

Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 PM

152 posts, read 333,022 times
You think you have problems! I'm a democrat and married to a staunch Republican. I don't know what I'm going to do with him.LOL I was one of the 2 dems at the above lunch, pity you were not there you could have made up the numbers.

May the best person win !

Jen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville