Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:02 PM

424 posts, read 1,294,477 times

Advertisements

AT&T Coverage Viewer
Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless
Unsupported Browser

I have been told Verizon is one of the best out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 PM
BRH

99 posts, read 347,627 times
For pretty much all of east Tennessee, I would recommend Verizon (or any of the CDMA carriers). The CDMA tower coverage is far better in this region than GSM coverage since the two primary frequencies in the area are both owned by CDMA networks. In other words, go with either Verizon or U.S. Cellular (since they own the primary frequency bands in this region.) The GSM carriers, (AT&T and T Mobile) have many dead areas throughout east TN. (especially in rural counties). Any will be fine in Knoxville itself, or along the interstates, but if you get off the beaten path into more remote areas, Verizon or U.S. Cellular will have far better coverage and be the best choices. (This is especially true in the area you are talking about around Loudon County. The area between Knoxville and Chattanooga has many dead spots on the GSM (AT&T and T Mobile) network and Verizon and U.S. Cellular have far better coverage).

Hope this helps.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:33 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,748 times
I agree with the above posts. I've got several friends from out of state who came to UT and switched their cell phone service to Verizon because they offer the best coverage. I'm a Verizon user myself, and I've definitely been satisfied with reception in the Knoxville area.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 AM

396 posts, read 1,311,432 times
Now that I think about it, my boss has AT&T and he gets dropped regularly when he calls in.

LCG

Old 06-06-2009, 06:41 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRH View Post
For pretty much all of east Tennessee, I would recommend Verizon (or any of the CDMA carriers). The CDMA tower coverage is far better in this region than GSM coverage since the two primary frequencies in the area are both owned by CDMA networks. In other words, go with either Verizon or U.S. Cellular (since they own the primary frequency bands in this region.) The GSM carriers, (AT&T and T Mobile) have many dead areas throughout east TN. (especially in rural counties). Any will be fine in Knoxville itself, or along the interstates, but if you get off the beaten path into more remote areas, Verizon or U.S. Cellular will have far better coverage and be the best choices. (This is especially true in the area you are talking about around Loudon County. The area between Knoxville and Chattanooga has many dead spots on the GSM (AT&T and T Mobile) network and Verizon and U.S. Cellular have far better coverage).

Hope this helps.
What about Sprint?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:08 AM

204 posts, read 580,948 times
I have had Sprint forever and have no problems with calls.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 AM

2,700 posts, read 3,683,677 times
I have Sprint and the only non-service area for me happens when climbing Clingman's Dome.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:20 AM

62 posts, read 312,254 times
Thanks - this was a big help. Sprint uses CDMA coverage also. Sprint was actually the company I thought about switching to. Verizon just nickels and dimes you to death (extra charges for text, pics, data, etc. etc.) I have too many friends that end up with $500 phone bills because their kids think they are texting and it turns out to be data or crazy stuff like that. I don't want any surprise bills and with three kids I want to make sure everything is inclusive. Thanks, I will now have to look closer at the plans that Verizon, Sprint, Nextel or US Cellular offer.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:40 PM

440 posts, read 1,093,076 times
Default cell phone reception/carrier for E. Tn.

Hello and Happy Holidays!

I am wondering what cell carriers get the best recep. in the mountains? I have Sprint. I lost reception when we did a trip out west for a whole week. Being a Realtor........... that just can't happen again. Anyways, any insight to what carrier you use or think would be best in the mountains of E. Tennessee would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Old 11-28-2009, 02:47 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,329,215 times
I have AT&T and it does pretty good, only a few small "dead spots" but that is mainly here in the Tri-Cities, but never had any issues in and around Knoxville with it, except for Gatlinburg and Sevierville in certain areas closer into the mountains I have had small issues. I know several people who have Verison and that seems to be comparable as far as coverage. When you get really into the mountains, most places anyway, it really won't matter which carrier you have, hard to signal into the mountains such as the National parks and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville