Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:36 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm, well, I moved on purpose to Maryville so that my kids could attend the Maryville City Schools so I am biased. There are college scouts at virtually every single game and/or they ask for tapes of the games. I can't recall a year that at least two or three players didn't get football scholarships. Lots of other athletic and academic scholarships awarded each year as well. As a parent, I am sure you are much more concerned with academics and Maryville shines there as well. Sorry, Seymour and Maryville are NOT the same academically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 06:44 PM

22 posts, read 27,479 times
Wow, sounds like I have been looking in the wrong area. We haven't been successful in finding a home in Sevier County but Maryville has come up several times. Actually, today I spoke with a woman here in Florida that owns a rental home in Gaitlanburg and she question our move to Seymour. She said that if she had to choose a place it was Maryville as well. After all of your help with the link to the schools! We are now seriously checking into Maryville. We are a big football family but you are correct that academics comes first. I never even checked out the schools there because I didn't know that Maryville even existed. I probably would have become a transplanted Floridian moving again in a year!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:54 PM

Sounds like you and I have a lot in common in regards to football. Can you answer some questions about the high school football program?
Do they have try-outs? When do they start? etc.
I am new to this city-data site. I have never used it before. I can't thank you enough for all of your help. It is nice to actally talk to mom's that know what you are thinking and what is and is not important.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I lived in Orlando from '96 to '98. It was okay, but I thought the crime was pretty bad. I heard that it got much worse. Anyway, I lived in Fort Myers, FL after that. That was a nightmare.

We've lived in Knoxville for going on four years. It is a heck of a lot better than Florida, especially regarding raising children. We have a nine-year-old girl.

I like Maryville and we really considered moving there but it was a bit more expensive than Knoxville. I was also concerned that it would become another Fort Myers with lots of people moving in so we skipped it.

However, I do like the appearance of the town and hear great things about the schools. It also has a nice proximity to the mountains.

Seymour is not really a "town" but it also has a nice proximity to the mountains and because it is in Sevier County you get a lot of deals and freebies. There is a woman on here that can tell you more about that.

I checked both schools on greatschools.com and Maryville High School is head-and-shoulders above Seymour.

I bet this is the NFL player from Seymour!

Scott Galyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-07-2009, 06:04 AM

Yes, Scott Gaylon is the name I came up with as well. However, as I mentioned football isn't our only concern.

I did some research last night and found something that is unfamiliar to me. What is this talk about "Tuition" in regards to Maryville schools? From what I could tell, it is almost like money can buy your way into a public school to stack a sports team? While I was impressed with Maryville school football stats, this concerned me. If you get the best of the best, who do you play against? Are you really playing against tough competition?

My son has played Pop Warner (that is all we have here until the kids get into high school) for 7 years. We have played teams that are a lot better then us. (stacked) Well, when these teams make it to the Super Bowl and have to play teams from across the U.S. they don't do well at all. They have had it too easy during the regular season. Florida has always noted this as a problem. They find that the better athletes are the ones that have to fight for every first down or touchdown. They become better athletes in terms of attitude and skill. Just something to think about in terms of football.

I am not sure what we are going to do at this point. I have a few realtors working on finding us a house. I guess it will all come down to where we find a house. (For the first year anyway)

I know I want to get out of Florida. Not only is the crime rate picking up, but the state has never done anything for us. We have lived here 17 years, own a construction company, and we are pretty much still where we started out 17 years ago.

We didn't want Knoxville because it is "The Large City" around there and didn't want "PF or Gat" because of the tourism. Currently, we live in a small city. We are 25 minutes from Daytona Beach and 35 minutes from Orlando. We like the advantages of living near a city but enjoy the closeness of a smaller city. That is why we chose the outskirts of Knoxville.

I just want a safe place to finishing raising my children. They are going to be 21, 18 and 15. The oldest one will transfer colleges, the middle one will be a senior and my youngest will be a freshman. We are also looking for a nice place to semi-retire for my disabled husband and aging mother. For me, well I am a stay at home mom and just want what is best for my family.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I lived in a town up north of about 14,000 for 34 years. I consider myself to be a country girl. Lived an hour away from a very large city. So I didn't envision myself living in a city. I think they are awfully nice to visit but not to live in.

So, we rented for three years in Knox County, small community of about 5,000. I wouldn't do it again. Big mistake.

Here's the lowdown. Cities in Tennessee seem more like very large towns. Towns can seem very rural and rural can be something very different than many people are use to. Hard to explain but it has a lot to do with the people.

So we moved to Knoxville. I actually live in the city boundaries but the area I live in looks like a town. I have a large yard, houses are spaced out and my kid goes to a school that looks like it belongs in "Leave it to Beaver." In fact, they call it "The Leave it to Beaver School."

I only mention this because you are referring to Knoxville as "The Large City" and, indeed, it is one but it doesn't look and act like one.

I also bring this up because you are considering Maryville and Seymour. They have populations of about 23,000 and 8,000, respectively. The former will feel like a very small town and the latter may seem like another planet, depending on your neighbors. There are a lot of transplants there, now, so it might be okay.

Just wanted to give you and anyone else that is interested a little perspective on the area.

Also, I am fairly confused. You are looking for a high school with a fantastic football program then seem a bit miffed when it looks like they are beating the snot out of everyone around them. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I am just not sure what you mean.

But the larger concern is your mentioning a construction company. Although Knoxville is economically way ahead most of Florida at this juncture I would caution you on starting that business here, right now. Local companies are not busy, like most of the country. A new construction business would probably have little to no chance.

As far as tuition, I am sure that SMG will be along to clear that up.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM

Actually, the city I live in now has about 15,000. Hard to explain our area as well. When we visited up there a few years ago, I would say we are more like Sevierville here. I don't live in a regular subdivision and all the homes around me are on 1 acre tracks. However, I have the advantage of the city near me. lol

I heard there are a lot of people moving to both areas. Guess people are looking to just escape.

Ad for our construction company: Well, if he decided to stay in it he could because it is strictly commercial and all of our work is out of state. lol We actually do commercial work. Most of our work is for Wal Mart, Sam's and JC Penny. We are the guys that remodel their bathrooms etc. In reality, we are not moving their for jobs. My hubby is a disabled veteran so we are looking more for retirement in few years when my youngest is off to college. (4 years and counting!-Just kidding)

I am sorry if I gave the impression that we were looking for a school with a fantastic football program. I am not sure if I can explain this better but I will try.

We wanted to reloate to Tn. When we decided to move up there we had to find what area we wanted to be in. My son, who is 14, went to what he knew. The Sevier County area. That is the only place we have ever been up there. He started looking around at the schools there. That is how we landed on Seymour High School. It is in Sevier County. I contacted a football coach in that school to see how their program works. Meaning, here they start conditioning practice April 13th. They play their first scrimmage game on May 30th as 8th graders. Then over the summer they are mandated to enter to weight room and attend all practices. So, I wanted to know if Sevier County was the same way. I didn't want teams set so that moving in from out of state my son wouldn't even have a chance to make the team as so many find they cannot do here in Florida.

I was able to find out that Tn has a mandated two week closing period where no teams can practice. Something Florida would never consider. I also found that with this particular program that the incoming Freshman (which our schools no longer have Freshman Sports) they don't actually start practice until the later part of July. This would allow my son a try-out period so to speak.

All we really wanted was for him to be able to try-out for a football team. The rest is really up to him. If a child is good it won't matter what she he plays for, as long as he has a chance.

What I meant by stacked teams was: If a team really doesn't have stiff competition because they are able to pick the best of the best or bring in the best of the best, then who is to say that they really are that strong? Does that make sense?

I would like to see my son have an opportunity to continue to play football. I would like to see him have good coaching and be on a competitive team not necessarily the "Best" team. I feel that the best team is a team where you are part of a team, a family, in a weird kind of way.

I hope this is coming off right. I am not the wordy person, math was always my strongest point. lol

Anyway, it was from there we looked at homes and there seem to be nice affordable homes there.

Just hoping to make a great move for my family, find great schools and live! lol

Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Sounds like you two have been on here for awhile and are friends. lol I am glad that I happened upon this site because you all have become great sources of information! I can't thank you enough and hope that you keep replying and perhaps help me make this adjustment.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,653 times
Hey Mrt9988, for football, the Maryville team has won the state, some 4 out of the last 5 years. The only player I can think of, from Seymour, was a linebacker, who stared at ut, and then played for the Giants in New York. GP, would put you in the tourist trap, and as moderator said, choose Blount co, and yes, Seymour is in Sevier county.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
You might also want to check out Hardin Valley Academy. That's a new high school that opened last year in far west Knox County.
Hardin Valley Academy - Hardin Valley Academy Home
It's a very suburban area and there may be more sports options for your son since all the students are relatively new. It combined several districts.
Hardin Valley :: Knoxville, TN :: Neighborhoods :: Knoxville, TN Homes :: Real Estate, Rentals, MLS??
Another option would be West Hills with Bearden for a high school. They're already practicing football, though. I see them when I drive by. West Hills has lots of sprawling ranch houses on big lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville