Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 AM

37 posts, read 214,883 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys:
My husband and I could possible be moving to Knoxville for his choice of college-vet school. I have been trying to read post, craigslist anything i can to look @ what areas are best for us. We are 30, no kids, just 4 dogs and I am from Alabama/he is Cali. We have been living in Fl for the past yr and are about to go crazy. We love outdoors and hubby is a huge outdoorsman. Duck hunting, fly-fishing, anything that he can do to be outside. Is there alot of those things for him to do? Sorry, back to the areas. Our price range is 300-500k and we are wanting to live somewhere that we can @ least have 1/2. I am an Esthetician and he is a student. I appreciate all of your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 10:47 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsgirl View Post
Hi Guys:
My husband and I could possible be moving to Knoxville for his choice of college-vet school. I have been trying to read post, craigslist anything i can to look @ what areas are best for us. We are 30, no kids, just 4 dogs and I am from Alabama/he is Cali. We have been living in Fl for the past yr and are about to go crazy. We love outdoors and hubby is a huge outdoorsman. Duck hunting, fly-fishing, anything that he can do to be outside. Is there alot of those things for him to do? Sorry, back to the areas. Our price range is 300-500k and we are wanting to live somewhere that we can @ least have 1/2. I am an Esthetician and he is a student. I appreciate all of your help!!
Check out South Knoxville all the way to Seymour. You can get acreage and beautiful homes in Seymour and it's only 20-30 minutes from campus yet it's out in the country.

Also check out East Knox County (not East Knoxville), specifically the area around the Strawberry Plains exit on I-40. Beautiful rural area but an EASY 20 minutes to downtown/U.T.

I found this pic of Seymour:

Old 05-23-2009, 10:54 AM

75 posts, read 226,646 times
That budget will give you tons of choices. I think you need to come to Knoxville and go north of Knoxville towards Norris Lake, south of Knoxville towards Maryville, or west towards Lenoir City. A lot will depend on where you're working in Knoxville relative to your commute.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:57 PM

37 posts, read 214,883 times
Thanks guys..wow what a beautiful photo. Stunning. Just need a nice cup of coffee and a front porch

Old 05-23-2009, 02:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustme64 View Post
That budget will give you tons of choices. I think you need to come to Knoxville and go north of Knoxville towards Norris Lake, south of Knoxville towards Maryville, or west towards Lenoir City. A lot will depend on where you're working in Knoxville relative to your commute.
Norris Lake is pretty far to travel for UT Vet school. Lenoir City, too.

You might consider something like the Lakemoor Hills area. There's a beautiful 4,550 square foot home with two acres that very close to the school, selling for under $500,000. Gorgeous 40-year-old contemporary. (I know nothing about this house. Only looked on the MLS for you.)

But if that's not your thing there are lots of homes with different styles, ages, neighborhoods to choose from.

Seymour is good, too.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Since your concrete here is rotating around UT Vet School, I would try looking for houses around that area. The *prettiest* areas are south, down the Chapman Highway, through South Knoxville and into Seymour (and eventually on into Sevierville/Pigeon Forge but that would be too long a drive).

Almost as nice is east Knox county, out towards Strawberry Plains. North Knox, Clinton specifically is also worth investigating.

So my post basically agrees with JMT's. We're both assuming you *don't* want to be in the city. If you do, then there are some neighborhoods which could be great for you, just ask.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Since your concrete here is rotating around UT Vet School, I would try looking for houses around that area. The *prettiest* areas are south, down the Chapman Highway, through South Knoxville and into Seymour (and eventually on into Sevierville/Pigeon Forge but that would be too long a drive).

Almost as nice is east Knox county, out towards Strawberry Plains. North Knox, Clinton specifically is also worth investigating.

So my post basically agrees with JMT's. We're both assuming you *don't* want to be in the city. If you do, then there are some neighborhoods which could be great for you, just ask.
The house I described is just west of Alcoa Highway, near the Tennessee River. So it is in south Knoxville, but in a very beautiful area and about five minutes to the vet school.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
South Knoxville is a gem. You can literally be rural 5 minutes from downtown.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:08 PM

I checked the MLS again, and if you want much newer, there are several beautiful, large homes with at least that amount of acreage in West Knoxville. It depends on what you are looking for but we have lots to choose from!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,653 times
All great thoughts, and basically you need to visit, and tour and see for yourself. Seymour is beautiful and as far as your husband likes for the outdooors, we are blessed with 4 great lakes around Knox co, and several state parks. Fly-fishing is best either in the Smokies or in Tellico. THRDA, has several managed hunts, and he will have no trouble hooking up. Good luck, and wish him well with his schooling and you also, as most of your choices will probably be in on of the department stores, either in West Town, or Turkey Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville