Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering move: customer service, southern slang, property prices, country bliss

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:02 PM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,433,446 times

Advertisements

Well, my friends, I just came back from yet another trip from Knoxville, visiting my friends.
I have been there now so many, many times, but it never dawned on me to actually consider moving there...until last month.
So, I looked at the area in a new perspective, and with a lot of interest.
The only places I can compare TN to are PA, FL (lived in both) and NC (researching for relocating).
I noticed, that a lot of people are STILL very nice and friendly. However, I also noticed, that the customer service in the stores and supermarket does not classify the customer as the "king" and number one priority (unlike here in PA and FL honers their customers the most!) Just a little observation I have made, since I am a previous employee of supermarkets/ meat dept all my life.
I am used to the "drawl" in TN, due to being there so many times, and talking to my friends and their family there so much. My husband on the other hand, was at a complete loss, since his ears are not familiar at all with the southern slang. So, at times that was funny, and we got some good laughs out of it (thank's to all of us having incredible sense of humor...lol)
We went to the smokey mountains....all the way to the top, and we wisehd we could have taken the motorcycle up there instead
We also made our way down to Chattanooga, and spend an entire day there. The city is nice, smaller then Knoxville, and well, entirely different then Knoxville. It seems, however, to be more "modern" and "artsy" then Knoxville....
We just didn't "feel" it for the city, as well as the surrounding towns.
It is also the fact, that housing prices/ property prices went up in and around Knoxville area. We checked into Maryville, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge...and more. Those named, however, where the MOST BEAUTIFUL towns, you could imagine. All within reach of the big city, but pure country bliss..........*sigh*...horses, cows, lambs...and alpacas...you name it, we've seen it....lol
Went shopping.....A LOT.....(shhhh, don't tell hubby...lol), but for my grocery bill I was charged 8.25% food tax, and a 9.25% non food tax, which I had forgotten about...until I checked my receipt....lol.
Well, the only other thing, not a pleasure at all, is the fact that we have had numerous encounters with TICKS!!!!!
I guess, that previous winter was very, very mild, and therefor contributed for those ticks to be so alive and thirsty....yuck....lol
(Well, we are back in PA, and getting sucked on by mosquitos......LOL...don't know which is worse. Joked to my hubby to go to Antarctica, to get away from the bugs....with his luck a polar bear would nip on him....LOL)
Anyway, back to the subject.....
I had problems being on I-40, and got stuck in traffic due to rush hour and the cunstructions gallore.
It was just such a royal mess....and was in the wrong lane three times. Funny observation...the TN people waved me right into their lanes, the one wich didn't, had NY plates....... (Take that for what it is worth, because I am not getting into THAT subject again! )
I just had the feeling, that there is so much more traffic now....and, I've NEVER EVER seen that many out of state plates before either, and I've been there just about every year since 1991.
I also noticed some bad areas downtown, and it seems like they have somewhat "spread" out a bit.
So, all in all we had a blast, as always when I'm there, but, guess my husband is a bit more set on the NC relocation thing.....
I will keep you guys posted.....
~SMILE~ y'all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 06:17 PM

197 posts, read 1,065,423 times
Thanks for the detailed description of the Knoxville trip....I like to hear comments regarding Knoxville due to a possible relocation....It's also good to hear that finally someone prefers Knoxville over Chattanooga....:-)

Old 05-30-2007, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 10,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
Thanks for the detailed description of the Knoxville trip....I like to hear comments regarding Knoxville due to a possible relocation....It's also good to hear that finally someone prefers Knoxville over Chattanooga....:-)
I agree with hoosier. I've lived in Knoxville for 7 years and wouldn't think of moving anywhere else at this point in my life (that is subject to change of course). Thanks for sharing. Great to hear.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Hey! I thought you wanted to move near me? What's up with that?

Old 06-01-2007, 06:54 AM

109 posts, read 359,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Well, my friends, I just came back from yet another trip from Knoxville, visiting my friends.
I have been there now so many, many times, but it never dawned on me to actually consider moving there...until last month.
So, I looked at the area in a new perspective, and with a lot of interest.
The only places I can compare TN to are PA, FL (lived in both) and NC (researching for relocating).
I noticed, that a lot of people are STILL very nice and friendly. However, I also noticed, that the customer service in the stores and supermarket does not classify the customer as the "king" and number one priority (unlike here in PA and FL honers their customers the most!) Just a little observation I have made, since I am a previous employee of supermarkets/ meat dept all my life.
I am used to the "drawl" in TN, due to being there so many times, and talking to my friends and their family there so much. My husband on the other hand, was at a complete loss, since his ears are not familiar at all with the southern slang. So, at times that was funny, and we got some good laughs out of it (thank's to all of us having incredible sense of humor...lol)
We went to the smokey mountains....all the way to the top, and we wisehd we could have taken the motorcycle up there instead
We also made our way down to Chattanooga, and spend an entire day there. The city is nice, smaller then Knoxville, and well, entirely different then Knoxville. It seems, however, to be more "modern" and "artsy" then Knoxville....
We just didn't "feel" it for the city, as well as the surrounding towns.
It is also the fact, that housing prices/ property prices went up in and around Knoxville area. We checked into Maryville, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge...and more. Those named, however, where the MOST BEAUTIFUL towns, you could imagine. All within reach of the big city, but pure country bliss..........*sigh*...horses, cows, lambs...and alpacas...you name it, we've seen it....lol
Went shopping.....A LOT.....(shhhh, don't tell hubby...lol), but for my grocery bill I was charged 8.25% food tax, and a 9.25% non food tax, which I had forgotten about...until I checked my receipt....lol.
Well, the only other thing, not a pleasure at all, is the fact that we have had numerous encounters with TICKS!!!!!
I guess, that previous winter was very, very mild, and therefor contributed for those ticks to be so alive and thirsty....yuck....lol
(Well, we are back in PA, and getting sucked on by mosquitos......LOL...don't know which is worse. Joked to my hubby to go to Antarctica, to get away from the bugs....with his luck a polar bear would nip on him....LOL)
Anyway, back to the subject.....
I had problems being on I-40, and got stuck in traffic due to rush hour and the cunstructions gallore.
It was just such a royal mess....and was in the wrong lane three times. Funny observation...the TN people waved me right into their lanes, the one wich didn't, had NY plates....... (Take that for what it is worth, because I am not getting into THAT subject again! )
I just had the feeling, that there is so much more traffic now....and, I've NEVER EVER seen that many out of state plates before either, and I've been there just about every year since 1991.
I also noticed some bad areas downtown, and it seems like they have somewhat "spread" out a bit.
So, all in all we had a blast, as always when I'm there, but, guess my husband is a bit more set on the NC relocation thing.....
I will keep you guys posted.....
~SMILE~ y'all

I noticed that the taxes were pretty high in TN, but I guess that is how they compensate the low cost of living and other lower taxes in the area...I can deal with that....Here in Florida sales tax is 7% and there is no tax for food, but property taxes, and everything else has just gotten ridiculous!!1I also prefer Knoxville to live for starters, but to raise my future family, I prefer Maryville to live.......I also went through traffic up there, and there, it is tolerable comparing to Miami...people respect the law, don't cut you off, pass with red lights, etc.....I saw that the majority drive like civilized people, so I can tolerate that type of traffic,..but YES, there is a lot of traffic because of all the construction....it is nice to see that Knoxville is growing and eventually will offer better opportunities for jobs, etc......It is not that I do not like big cities, I like them, but when you live in places like NY, Miami, California, where the population is filling up with uneducated, disrespectful immigrants, that is what ruins the beauties of a nice big city...you know? If they were filled with people like cities such as Knoxville..it would be the perfect place to live...this is why I packing my stuff, and getting out!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 PM

213 posts, read 551,019 times
The reason for the higher sales tax is because Tennessee dosen't have a state income tax. This way EVERYBODY pays to keep the state going not just WORKING Tennesseans.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Hey! I thought you wanted to move near me? What's up with that?
Hiks, my "dahling"....lol
Ask my husband about that.....lol.
But, seriously, he think's that there are better job opportunities down in Charlotte/ NC. And, from what I have seen there, I have to agree with him.
I love TN and Knoxville, but, no matter where we move to have to consider the job opportunities, in his service field. (*sigh*)
So, I guess moving to NC, vacationing in TN, to have the best of both worlds....lol.
Guess, the only thing left is you and your hubby moving to NC ?????

Old 06-02-2007, 07:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Oh no, no, no. As bad as Knoxville is with transplants, NC is worse.

You might want to consider that. Higher cost of living and transplants. NC is on the fast track to becoming the next Florida.

Beware!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh no, no, no. As bad as Knoxville is with transplants, NC is worse.

You might want to consider that. Higher cost of living and transplants. NC is on the fast track to becoming the next Florida.

Beware!
Hopefully with nicer people perhaps???? LOL
We are currently looking into country living (like union county etc), but close access to Charlotte. The thing what kills me is the fact, that I hate to live in or near a city, but, the hussle and buzzle is good for the job industry my husband is in.
So, I guess we have to compromise......huh.....lol.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:17 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Hopefully with nicer people perhaps???? LOL
We are currently looking into country living (like union county etc), but close access to Charlotte. The thing what kills me is the fact, that I hate to live in or near a city, but, the hussle and buzzle is good for the job industry my husband is in.
So, I guess we have to compromise......huh.....lol.
Moving, I had looked at NC first too, when we were considering moving south, mainly because I've travelled there, love the beauty of the mountains, and Charlotte is a really nice city.

2 problems, tho: Higher state taxes, and higher property prices. Yes, more job ops for my hubby and myself, there, but, those trade-offs weren't worth it to us. Even in Union County, which is where I looked, and all the surrounding counties outside of Charlotte, in a manageable commute area.

Then, by going to a website that lists taxes by state, I found out that besides the other states that I already knew had no state income tax, Tennessee was included. I hadn't even considered TN until then! Even knowing how beautiful a state it is, and travelling thru there many many moons ago - it was tucked away there, hiding on the map, right in front of my eyes, just like a hidden jewel!

I started looking at TN a few months ago, we won't be able to go down until end of November, so this gives me the leisurely time I need to do my research on the state, and what areas to center on when we do go down. My focus has changed from area to area, but right now, I'm concentrating on the upper middle TN, from Sumner County, all the way over to the Tri-Cities. I'll have to narrow that down considerably, of course, but right now, it looks like Sumner County and neighboring counties on either side.

Sumner County is just above Nashville, where there are very good job ops for both my hubby and myself, and in a very good commute range, along with Bowling Green KY right above that, still in range. And by that, you get the great tax situation in TN, with the very good job ops in either Nashville or Bowling Green. I do love the Cookeville / Crossville / Jamestown area, but am doubtful of good work there for my hubby with the 'good ol' boy' network going. He ran into that while working in Ohio, just across the line from us. So, we want to lessen that as much as possible, and I think that the upper Nashville area maybe for us. Bonus for me: all of the health insurance companies located there, as that's my field of work!

What field does your hubby work in?

I hope he changes his mind!

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville