Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:03 AM

391 posts, read 906,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco809 View Post
I have been to Las Cruces once and I think people need not to depend on the city to do anything, we see how they drag their butts on anything.Have small block parties to help raise money to plant trees around the downtown area,fix up the building so it will be attractive for people to move in and open a business or apartments that look over business. I was thinking about moving their and open a small southern resturant or store. It takes us as people to make our communities better not the politician.they just sit on their butts and do nothing unless it benefits them.
Methinks we had a leetle too much TEA on our one visit to Las Cruces.

A lot of people around here work for the betterment of the community, and some of them (sit down, please) even work for the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
I don't think a Southern restaurant is gonna work in an area that's mostly people of Mexican ancestry and Yankee retirees.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:59 PM

34 posts, read 62,055 times
Doesn't sound much worse than living in L.A. Well actually it sounds a lot safer than L.A.

Las Cruces is close to the border right? Any problems with that?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckNFlorida View Post
Las Cruces is close to the border right? Any problems with that?
Las Cruces is about 50 miles to the El Paso, TX border. But that is really not an issue. El Paso Texas is one of the safest cities in North America and is just a few feet from one of the unsafe cities, Juarez, Mexico...

Rich

Old 01-25-2012, 01:01 PM

105 posts, read 111,777 times
Default Is there racism against whites there?

I'm white and my family is white and I'm wondering if there is obvious racism against white people there?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 PM

I've worked in Las Cruces the entire summer and compared to the heat in Houston it wasn't anything that bothered me at all.

At least at night it cools down there. In Houston it is Hot even at night.

Phoenix and Las Vegas are comparable to Houston heat. They don't have the humidity like Houston, but the extra 10 to 20 degrees in the summer make up for the lack of humidity.

New Mexico has one of the better climates in around. If you can take a little heat in the summer and a little cold in the winter.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
I can't remember but I think there is a study that showed near 80plus% never move from their hometown. I wouldn't call that a nation of movers.
Interesting issue. My wife and I have moved several times since growing up in the same hometown, but we also have many friends from high school who are still there. I did a little googling and found a 2008 study - Who Moves? Who Stays Put? Where’s Home? | Pew Social & Demographic Trends - that indicates 37% of the surveyed sample are living in their original hometown. The sample is 2,260 adults, with results weighted to represent the US continental population as a whole. So not a huge number but if they did a good job selecting folks it should be relatively valid for the entire US population. Except maybe for me and my wife, since we grew up in Alaska.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 AM

102 posts, read 235,031 times
When I lived there in the 1990s: no.

How people think of race and ethnicity in Cruces is much different than in the Rust Belt or Northeast. There's basically two groups: Hispanic and Anglo. There's only a very small Native American population.

Hispanic can include everybody from recent Mexican immigrants to those from long-established families with roots in the area dating back to New Spain, many of whom may not even know how to speak Spanish.

Anglos comprise everybody else. In a way, Asians and blacks are also considered "Anglo". Hyphen-American designations aren't relevant.

Las Crucens are a bit more open when it comes to gentle joking about ethnicity. A Hispanic friend or coworker might call you a "pinche guero" opr "gabacho", but a but it's not meant with malice. Actually, it's a good indicator of how comfortable someone feels around you.

You'll often hear that Las Cruces has "a gentle blending of cultures." It's distinctly New Mexican, and quite different than the dominant Mexican-American flavor of El Paso. IMHO, LC is far more Anglo-friendly than EP.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
No way. Perhaps I am naive, but as an anglo living in the city for 6 years, not a single time did I experience anything approaching racism.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I like the weather in southern NM. I can handle the heat, since I have experienced much worse. I can handle the sometimes chilly weather, because I've lived through real winter weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces