Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times

Advertisements

I was being sarcastic. There is a misconception about the extreme heat (100+ degrees) all summer long. LC is likely to get a few heat waves during the summer when temperatures will reach that high, but most of the time you can expect mid-90's, with significant cooling off once the sun goes down, or you find some shade. I much prefer the dry summer heat to cold winters. In fact, LC is a little too cold for me at times in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 08:54 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
The spring is really the only time of year I can't stand. The winters are very mild but it is winter. Most of the time you can get by in a light jacket though which you typically won't need after noon. The summer will have a week or two of temps over 100 in June usually. By July the monsoon starts and while it doesn't get so hot, mid 90's, it's more humid. Tame by eastern standards but my swamper doesn't work so well. Still it does cool off 30+ degrees, very quickly, every night so the day is only bad in the afternoon.

The fall is my favorite time without doubt. The smell of roasting green chile is one the best smells in the whole world. And that's what I identify with fall in Cruces. A happy thing indeed! It's also football and bird seasons, but that's not really specific to the area. They just add to my good feelings about the season.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:09 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,142 times
As others stated ...there are usually a some days every summer with high temps over 100 ...especially June/early July ...but averages are less than 100 ...keep in mind Las Crices is almost 4000' above sea level ...this means a big difference from lower elevations in AZ, southern NV and SE CA desert areas ....where high temperatures are consistantly over 100 degrees in some areas from late May to late September (Yuma/Palm Springs/Phoenix and even Las Vegas,NV area)....no place in NM averages over 100 ...some come close ...Las Cruces/Lordsburg/Jal/Sunland Park .....the hottest place is Loving (just south of Carlsbad) ..it's highs average 99 degrees in June/July ... all these places are hot in summer but 90 degrees with high humidy in the southern states (TN/GA/FL/SC/ ...ETC) ...will feel a lot worse ... dry air is usually good in terms of allergies ....however, sometimes when you move from one climate to another ...old allergies disappear and "new" allgeries sometime develope...

Old 06-03-2007, 07:13 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Yes, it depends. I was there in the first weeks of June and couldn't walk around it was go hot, but I drove there from Northern NM where the temperatures were very pleasant.

Overall, I find the area too hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Depends on what is "worst" to you. If you don't like heat -- and I mean HEAT -- then June through August is pretty bad.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
For what it's worth - We have had a couple of weeks last summer where the temps went into the high 90's to over 100 with matching humidity. Not very comfortable without AC.

Oh, I didn't mention that we are located in New Hampshire!

LC sound hot but bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces