Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:00 AM

13 posts, read 29,767 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been posted about a thousand times.. the number of threads are overwhelming.

I got accepted into UNLV, and will be moving to Vegas at the end of the summer. I don't want to live on campus, and was curious if anyone knew where students lived off campus? Something with utilities included? How about safe areas and the the places to avoid?

I'm a young female moving here by myself from NH.. Assuming I keep my head, will I be safe in this town?

I've been reading a lot about the unemployment rate. I need a part time job to supplement my financial aid. Will finding something in food service or retail (a minimum wage job, ANY minimum wage job..) be an issue?

What about things to do...? Besides drinking/clubbing/gambling. Is it difficult to make friends here? I'm pretty shy.

Whats the environment like in Vegas? I'm from a small 'city' of about 25k. I'm expecting some culture shock.. from the weather and the people. What can I expect?

Also, is UNLV a reputable school? I'm going for English, but might change to psychology.

Thank you very much.. Any other advice is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:11 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy7115 View Post
I'm sure this has been posted about a thousand times.. the number of threads are overwhelming.

I got accepted into UNLV, and will be moving to Vegas at the end of the summer. I don't want to live on campus, and was curious if anyone knew where students lived off campus? Something with utilities included? How about safe areas and the the places to avoid?

I'm a young female moving here by myself from NH.. Assuming I keep my head, will I be safe in this town?

I've been reading a lot about the unemployment rate. I need a part time job to supplement my financial aid. Will finding something in food service or retail (a minimum wage job, ANY minimum wage job..) be an issue?

What about things to do...? Besides drinking/clubbing/gambling. Is it difficult to make friends here? I'm pretty shy.

Whats the environment like in Vegas? I'm from a small 'city' of about 25k. I'm expecting some culture shock.. from the weather and the people. What can I expect?

Also, is UNLV a reputable school? I'm going for English, but might change to psychology.

I personally think this is a bad idea on too many levels.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 AM

13 posts, read 29,767 times
Why's that?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Why's that?
I have friends here who cannot find any jobs at all and UNLV is not a good college unless you are going for hotel management.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:

I agree that it's hard to justify moving CROSS COUNTRY at a young age just to attend UNLV, which is not a great University. In addition, you're planning on studying a field (English) which is not a very attractive field when you enter the job market. Psych is a little better, but it's hard to justify such a big move,

If you're shy and aren't into the party scene, why bother with UNLV? It's going to set you back more than a state Uni and there will not be any benefit.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 PM

16 posts, read 52,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I agree that it's hard to justify moving CROSS COUNTRY at a young age just to attend UNLV, which is not a great University. In addition, you're planning on studying a field (English) which is not a very attractive field when you enter the job market. Psych is a little better, but it's hard to justify such a big move,

If you're shy and aren't into the party scene, why bother with UNLV? It's going to set you back more than a state Uni and there will not be any benefit.
She has to study what she likes not what is favorable for the job market.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:10 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:

I'm a little unclear. Is this move a done deal or are you asking advice on whether you should go through with it. As others have said you are going to be fighting the odds and putting yourself in a very stressful situation. People have overcome all sorts of obstacles and many have also failed miserably. Vegas is very different from NH and I hope you have a financial and emotional life line back east.

I do agree people should pursue what you like in college but honestly you may find yourself with no job opportunities post graduation. Psychology is another area where it will be difficult. The vast majority of positions require a masters to do just about anything.

Things to do? lots.. depending on your interests. There is vast amounts of wilderness within a days reach. It can be safe as long as you use common sense.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,413 times
Quote:
if anyone knew where students lived off campus? Something with utilities included? How about safe areas and the the places to avoid?

Assuming I keep my head, will I be safe in this town?

What can I expect?

q1-living situation - find a roommate situation in the green valley area. safety with roommates, close enough commute to the school, and fairly safe area.
q2 -take care of yourself as if you were going to Boston or NYC.
q3 -Davie, a poster on this forum, moved recently from orlando and had a job at a supermarket in a few days time. if you're determined, it can happen.
q4 -expect utter madness in an exciting sort of way. there is never a shortage of cheap or free things to do, massive variety of food choices.
when you get to school, you'll hook up with classmates to do stuff.
q5 -this is relative to how you view your future. some people believe that a particular school having a huge impact, and yet others believe that your
degree is your accomplishment, no matter where it came from...
sorry for the dangling participle, oh future english major ...
UNLV has one of the best hospitality degrees. i major that and minor psych or english.

i agree, though, you need a plan to financially survive, and a car.
life in vegas would most likely suck without one.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,409 times
My nephew is attending UNLV and works part-time simply because he wants the extra cash while attending school. There are jobs out there but you will be in competition with many others but be persistent. Housing near UNLV varies, the closest being across the street on the main entrance. Apt of different quality and homes of different quality. You may find roomates sharing a house within walking distance of UNLV. You definitely need a car to enjoy the outdoors in Las Vegas but all within a short from UNLV. There are many old money large homes near UNLV so it is not as bad as some people might think of the area.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 PM

88 posts, read 258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenaforever View Post
She has to study what she likes not what is favorable for the job market.
That's a terrible attitude. Sure, it is great to try and find something that interests you, but the potential for employment has to be an important part of the decision. We can't all just be film studies majors and sit around watching movies all day.

UNLV is known for its hospitality / hotel management program. A degree like that from UNLV can really be great if you want to get into a job in that field. UNLV is not known well known for anything else and if you try to use your English, Psych, or any other degree from UNLV to get a job you are probably going to be met with a blank stare.

If English is really what you want to study, find a good school for that. It doesn't sound like you have even made your mind up about what you want to study though. In that case the best thing to do is go somewhere local (cheap) and figure out what you want to do, then transfer. Paying out of state tuition for a UNLV degree that you might not even want or be able to use seems like a big mistake.

Edit: just saw that you have these thread posted in several places. Are you actually moving to New Orleans, Portland, Tucson, Vegas???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: