Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Hmmm. I disagree. It's much easier for me to DVR what I want to watch or watch in real time than try to hunt it down on the internet.
The beauty of technology today is that you don't have to do all that much hunting. You spend $50 on a Roku box and it is all right there. Subscribe to your favorite shows on Hulu+ for $8/mo, turn on your Roku and open your Hulu+ channel and viola! there are your shows.

It really is so easy that a caveman could do it.

True, you probably wont get all the shows you love today but you should get most. And for $8 - $22/mo it might be worth it for you vs your likely $100+/mo cable or satellite bill. That's an average $1000/yr savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
The beauty of technology today is that you don't have to do all that much hunting. You spend $50 on a Roku box and it is all right there. Subscribe to your favorite shows on Hulu+ for $8/mo, turn on your Roku and open your Hulu+ channel and viola! there are your shows.

It really is so easy that a caveman could do it.

True, you probably wont get all the shows you love today but you should get most. And for $8 - $22/mo it might be worth it for you vs your likely $100+/mo cable or satellite bill. That's an average $1000/yr savings.

Maybe once I move I'll consider it . Right now I have a roommate to pay half of the $70 a month Directv bill.

I do see that I can get Hulu Plus thru my Wii, though. But what if I want to watch one of my other TVs?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Maybe once I move I'll consider it . Right now I have a roommate to pay half of the $70 a month Directv bill.

I do see that I can get Hulu Plus thru my Wii, though. But what if I want to watch one of my other TVs?
I don't know how much of a pain it is to move the wii around, I don't have one. But if you have a Roku, it fits in the palm of your hand is very easy to move from room to room. Just 1 wire for power and 1 HDMI cable for A/V.

Or you can have multiple Roku boxes all tied to the same account which is like whole house DVR where you can watch a show in 1 room, pause and turn on the Roku in another room and pick up right where you left off.

I have 3 Roku's in my Calif. home and always bring one with us when we visit our Henderson home. There is no reconfiguration needed or anything. Just plug it in and there is my netflix, hulu+, amazon prime etc. all in the palm of my hand. Oh, plus Angry Birds on my TV is great!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I don't know how much of a pain it is to move the wii around, I don't have one. But if you have a Roku, it fits in the palm of your hand is very easy to move from room to room. Just 1 wire for power and 1 HDMI cable for A/V.

Or you can have multiple Roku boxes all tied to the same account which is like whole house DVR where you can watch a show in 1 room, pause and turn on the Roku in another room and pick up right where you left off.

I have 3 Roku's in my Calif. home and always bring one with us when we visit our Henderson home. There is no reconfiguration needed or anything. Just plug it in and there is my netflix, hulu+, amazon prime etc. all in the palm of my hand. Oh, plus Angry Birds on my TV is great!
The Wii isn't too complicated. Plug it into the wall, then into the aux jacks on the TV. To do that every night when I want to go to bed and keep watching TV would be a hassel, though. Wonder if I can have the Wii and a Roku linked to the same account? It would be silly to buy a Roku for the TV the Wii is generally attached to.

Hmm. You have given me something to think about. Thankfully I am long past any contract agreement with Directv so I can dump them anytime.

The only thing is I like to switch channels and see what's on rather than search for specific shows. It's the same in the car. I like listening to the radio rather than a CD or whatever because it's more random than me looking for something specific.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:22 PM

654 posts, read 1,323,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
My 'bundle package' {TV $30/internet $30/phone $30} ended and my bill went up almost 80 dollars.
I WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED THE INCREASE if I had a DVR capable of more than 20 hours of HD recordings.
That's all that DVR could hold.
20 crappy hours.
That's why I use my own - 3 DVRs, each of which hold 300 hours of HD & close to 3000 (yes, thousand) hours of standard definition TV. Rarely do I watch anything live anymore - the occasionall sporting event is about it. We still have about 100 HD movies strewn across the DVRs that we haven't watched.

Cox keeps trying to sell me on their DVR & how great it is - nope, ain't gonna happen. The odd time I've had to have a tech out they're asking me about my setup, once they see it they understand why I'm not using Cox's hardware.

If it weren't for Comedy Central (Daily Show/Colbert/etc) for my fiancee & ESPN/MLB/sports channels (baseball) for me, we'd ditch cable & go OTA supplemented with streaming video. When I explain this to Cox, I get the equivalent of a blank stare along with "We're raising your rates ... again." They don't understand their business model is decaying & they're trying to squeeze all they can out of their monopoly.

Scoop, I saw you mention Windows Media Center - how does it handle encryption so that it can do its own tuning? That's what kept me from using it in the past, there was no elegant way to interface a cablecard (or similar) for encryption/decryption. I sure as heck don't wanna use someone else's proprietary box.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Scoop, I saw you mention Windows Media Center - how does it handle encryption so that it can do its own tuning? That's what kept me from using it in the past, there was no elegant way to interface a cablecard (or similar) for encryption/decryption. I sure as heck don't wanna use someone else's proprietary box.
It doesn't. It uses your current box, and shoots remote control signals at it with an IR blaster. It's never misfired and botched a show. But this means a computer needs to be somewhat close to your box.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
Cable user here for quite a few years .... Just moved and got Direct TV.. NOW if these few months are any indication of Direct TV, I will NEVER go back to cable for watching TV..... Now my Bundle with cable was $213 a month.. Cable, Phone, Internet... and only 3 cable boxes...And only 1 of them HD
Now I had to keep Phone and Internet (although I have been seeing commercials for Direct TV doing phone and internet) and that costs me $55 a month.. And Direct TV is $63 a month for 4 HD boxes with DVR... So it is costing me less for more with having Direct TV.....

I have the NFL Channel, NASCAR Hot Pass NBA Channel and other Sports channels...Not really a Sports fan but we have them......And the Premium channels as well....

So like I said so far I am pleased and am not paying as much either.....

Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 AM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,804 times
Is there anyway to get the internet just by itself at a reasonable price?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:21 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
yes, I would like to know that too. Anyone know cost and approx. speed for just internet?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM

930 posts, read 1,818,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Is there anyway to get the internet just by itself at a reasonable price?
here is page for internet service from cox. I dont think there is a premium for just ordering internet and no tv from them. there used to be a $10 discount on internet if you did subscribe to tv but they quit that a couple of years ago:

Internet Pricing & Plans serving Las Vegas | Cox Communications
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas