Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:45 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasboy View Post
This may help you determine what areas to avoid. The data from that website with the colour coded map is very old. Please use Las Vegas Metro Police website for the most current info.

According to a local realtor in LV, "there is no truly good area or bad area in the Las Vegas Valley. All areas have great neighborhoods and all areas have a bad area or crime neighborhood." Do you agree with this statement?

She goes on saying "It would be unethical for any Realtor to claim they knew the best or worst place. I recommend to use the link provided. You can put in a street address, Zip code, select on a map etc.

It will tell you all crime that has happened in that area in the last 60 days. It will be the most accurate information. It is the only information I would rely on as it actually tells you what crime happened on what day and time."

CrimeView Community Incident Map : Las Vegas Metro Police Department
It's as accurate as any other stream of data you can look at about crime. Just keep in mind that crimes reported to the police account for roughly 10% of all crimes actually committed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 12:14 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Once a month this site gets the same uneducated request for this. Get it straight, if you want to be a true real estate investor stop thinking this way. Yes crime is worse in some areas compared to others, but that is not how a good investor looks at it. If you plan to live in the unit then you probably want to know about the crime, but if you are buying it for rental you need to focus on other things such as vacancies and ROI characteristics because the price of the unit and its current listed comps and recent sold comps will already price crime and the character of the area in.

The key is not to look at where crime is now, but where it is likely to go in the future. If you get a middle of the road area today and crime blows up there then you'll have a unit you will struggle to rent or sell in 5 years. If you buy something at the bottom of the market and crime improves somewhat or it gets a bit of regeneration going you will be in the best shape of anyone. The safest areas will see fair demand, but usually have the worst cash flow and ROI. Blue collar areas with low homeownership rates and convenient access to public transportation are almost always the best investments. You'll put up with a little more headache and the units won't be much to look at, but they are little gold mines you can replicate over and over if done right. And without fail they will be in the top third of crime areas.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 AM

181 posts, read 453,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Once a month this site gets the same uneducated request for this. Get it straight, if you want to be a true real estate investor stop thinking this way.
VERY good post except for the (uneducated) first sentence. There is NEVER such a thing as an uneducated question/request. "No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions"

Most of what you say goes for my home country (South Africa) too where I have been investing in real estate for more than 15 years.

But when you start investing in uncharted territory, (I started investing in the US about two years ago) questions may sound "uneducated." Great post, Willy, I'm sure you are applying those principles too

Last edited by vegasboy; 10-26-2010 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 AM

On the "Identified Features Index" where it shows the different types of crime, murder and rape does not appear. Anyone know why that may be?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasboy View Post
On the "Identified Features Index" where it shows the different types of crime, murder and rape does not appear. Anyone know why that may be?
Homicide does. Though they are not always reported. Rape is not allowed in Clark County...

Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM

So they don't differentiate between “guilty mind" and "guilty act" homicide. I don't understand what you mean by "rape not allowed...." Are they not allowed to publish the stats for rape?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
As I told you this stuff is not remotely clean. Las Vegas actually has a relatively high rape rate but does not publish rapes in their incident list. Concerns about privacy of victims I expect. Other jurisdictions in Clark County do report rapes however.

These are preliminary so man kills man is the best you can get. And you don't get all of these. Some don't appear for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas