Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,581 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I am definitely considering moving across the country next year. I currently live in illinois and want to move to the Las Vegas Area. Since I have never been there I dont know what to expect. The reason I am moving is because I am not happy with where I live now, its a small surburban town and I can't stand it! I also want to live in a warmer climate. My main goal is to start a new life, and get a fresh start.

Everybody I know has told me that it's a bad idea to move to another state alone. The only person I will know there is my cousin who will be attending college and living on campus and other than that I know no one.

I have an apartment lined up and my job will transfer me but I am not guaranteed the hours that I will need to live off of. I am currently seeking a back up job.

I was so determined to make this move before as I thought that this move will help me grow as a person and allow me to find myself. Also to see another side of life as I haven't traveled much in my 20 something years of life. I guess I just feel depressed and trapped and looking for happiness.

Please help, what should I do? Honest answers!

Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyasuka View Post
I guess I just feel depressed and trapped and looking for happiness.

Being happy is a product of the internal not the external. Meaning that you can travel to the ends of the earth and never be happy. Do what's in your heart but don't think Vegas is going to give you happiness.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:24 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,213 times
They say the grass is greener, but in vegas the grass is browner.
Have a good reason to move anywhere, before you move.
As Unforgiven stated above, "wherever you go, there you are" its not the place.

and if its of any consequence, I am doing the same thing as you.

Jonathan

Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 AM

111 posts, read 253,382 times
In all honosty, I don't think you should move somewhere if you never even went there on a holiday or something.
Especialy if you don't know anyone down there as well.
You will not solve your personal problems by moving, like posted above as well,
in fact, you might even feel more miserable after a while because you get lonely.
I'm not saying you should'nt do it, all I'm saying is do some research at first.
Go on a holiday first, and explore the city besides the ''theme park'' everybody knows.
Maybe a good tip, go there in wintertime and during the hottest period in summer, so you get a global idea what to expect.

On the flipside, you are attending college, so making new friends shoul'nt be a problem.
And the fact you already have a job oppertunity, even if it's part time or whatever.
Just don't think you are ''gonna make it big real quick''.
I think today there's a new bulk of people that came to LV with the same intention,
and I'm pretty sure tomorrow there will be a new batch again, and so on and so on.

Conclusion is: research !
I'm moving there in a few weeks too, from a different continent even.
And trust me, it's not gonna be easy at first, I'm very aware of that.
But the fact I'm moving for my relationship made it alot easier. At least I know people there, that makes a difference.

Hope my post is kinda helpfull,

Good luck to you !

Old 12-12-2010, 09:39 AM

80 posts, read 151,453 times
Default Don't move to Vegas

If I were you and currently have a job, I would stay put. If you HAVE to move, I certainly would not choose Vegas. It is so depressed economically. Someone predicted that 70,000 people would leave next year or will have left by the end of this year. There was an article in the paper that the economy is so bad that even the Mexicans are going home.
It is very expensive to live here. There are no jobs. Everything is just so depressed here. My son is considering moving back here, because this is home to him, and I just think he wants to be home. I would get out of here if I could. The good days of Vegas are gone. Someone needs to turn out the lights. I basically can't leave, because you can't give away a house here, and I don't have a lot of money in savings or I would just walk.
I guess the only positive is that you said you wanted a warmer climate. It will be really warm if you can't pay your $600 power bills during the summer months.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirlok View Post
It is very expensive to live here.
LOL.

I've never lived in a more inexpensive place in my life.

But then again, I've never lived in Oklahoma.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:29 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Being happy is a product of the internal not the external. Meaning that you can travel to the ends of the earth and never be happy. Do what's in your heart but don't think Vegas is going to give you happiness.
Beautiful post. Truer words were never spoken.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:18 PM

126 posts, read 269,411 times
I recently moved here this month (though bought my house last year), and am originally from a fairly small suburban town in central IL as well.

My reasons were fairly similar in that I wanted a place with
1) warmer climate and not winter 8 months of the year and
2) a place that has stuff to do without having to drive 3 hours to get there (where I am from is about 3 hours from Chicago or St Louis)

My options were a little bit easier than yourself, as I am 'retiring' from the military and basically had to choose a homestead, and sadly house prices where I am from did not decline much.. so a house there would have been about the same as a house here. I also do not have as much pressure on finding a 'nice'/steady job, as I could get by with some part time gig for $500/mo with the addition of my pension.

If I had to worries of needing a stable income and uncertainties of 'where i was going' in life.. not sure if I would make the decision to move across country from most of your family and friends/support group.

My son is your age and still going to school in IL and if he asked me to move out here I would probably recommend against it unless his reasons were compelling (wants to get in the 'industry' or use it as a venue to network or something like that).

It is always good to have a minimum of 2-3 options whenever you make a major life decision, so try to have backup plan(s) if you do choose to make the move like:

- Backup savings for 3-6 months of unemployment
- Backup place to stay in case you cannot find employment after your funds run out
- Backup place to go if you decide to leave
- Where would you want to go if you do not like it here
- etc etc etc

Again, I totally understand your desires to get out of the frozen tundra there (especially this time of year.. brrrrr), but try to make an informed rational decision vs. one just based on the temperature.

PS. It still gets a lil chilly here in the winter.. but 3 words I will not miss out of my vocabulary... Wind.... Chill... Factor

Old 12-12-2010, 12:37 PM

80 posts, read 151,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL.

I've never lived in a more inexpensive place in my life.

But then again, I've never lived in Oklahoma.

That's your misfortune. and I wonder just how long you have lived here.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:06 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirlok View Post
If I were you and currently have a job, I would stay put. If you HAVE to move, I certainly would not choose Vegas. It is so depressed economically. Someone predicted that 70,000 people would leave next year or will have left by the end of this year. There was an article in the paper that the economy is so bad that even the Mexicans are going home.
It is very expensive to live here. There are no jobs. Everything is just so depressed here. My son is considering moving back here, because this is home to him, and I just think he wants to be home. I would get out of here if I could. The good days of Vegas are gone. Someone needs to turn out the lights. I basically can't leave, because you can't give away a house here, and I don't have a lot of money in savings or I would just walk.
I guess the only positive is that you said you wanted a warmer climate. It will be really warm if you can't pay your $600 power bills during the summer months.

How much do you want for your house?
what area is it in?

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: