Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:32 PM

9 posts, read 91,112 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live on the east coast. We grew up here and wish to move west with our family. We are deciding between the Scottsdale/Chandler area of Arizona or the Henderson area in NV. Can anyone help with as much info as possible as to which would be the better place to raise a family? My grandmother lives in Henderson and I have visited twice, once 5 years ago and once about 10 years before that. I loved it but she also lived in a 55+ community.

I also understand that there is crime and such in Las Vegas and Phoenix, however I have lived my whole life close to Philly, Camden NJ and Wilmington DE, so I am realistic.

Any intelligent info you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 03:50 PM

113 posts, read 306,129 times
I would say Scottsdale is a much better bet if you can afford it,I have spent a great deal of time there in the past 5 years,it is a nice place to live.It is about 5 degrees warmer in the summer and slightly more humid,but close to the Vegas temps most days.If you have ever visited Old Towne Scottsdale you will be hooked,you should plan a trip before you decide.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
In general Las Vegas pays better and has a lower cost of living than the Phoenix area.

The climate strongly favors Las Vegas. Five degrees at 110 does make a difference particularly when combined with a higher relative humidity in Phoenix.

If you are a techie go to Phoenix. Las Vegas is techie waste land.

Note that I don't do Scottsdale versus Henderson. One is snobby Phoenix the other snobby Las Vegas. In either case you will do better by looking at the whole area rather than the individual cities. You then pick the tracts that fit your economic status and desires. You might end up in Scottsdale or Henderson...but you most likely won't.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,121 times
Isn't Phoenix pretty much Vegas, but with a slightly worse climate, and without the fun, beautiful scenery, or international draw?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Isn't Phoenix pretty much Vegas, but with a slightly worse climate, and without the fun, beautiful scenery, or international draw?
Exactly (except Phoenix does have some beautiful scenery), I grew up there and could not wait to leave.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmgirl View Post
My husband and I live on the east coast. We grew up here and wish to move west with our family. We are deciding between the Scottsdale/Chandler area of Arizona or the Henderson area in NV. Can anyone help with as much info as possible as to which would be the better place to raise a family? My grandmother lives in Henderson and I have visited twice, once 5 years ago and once about 10 years before that. I loved it but she also lived in a 55+ community.

I also understand that there is crime and such in Las Vegas and Phoenix, however I have lived my whole life close to Philly, Camden NJ and Wilmington DE, so I am realistic.

Any intelligent info you can offer is greatly appreciated.
I would say Henderson hands down for people with no kids. However, I do think the Phoenix/Scottsdale is a better place to raise a family.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Or you could say Vegas is Phoenix without four professional sports teams, a far inferior arts scene, and a significantly less diversified economy. As for the climate, the winters in Scottsdale are better for those same few additional degrees if avoiding a chill is high on the agenda.

One thing though is when you say "Scottsdale/Chandler", you are referring to a rather large area. If you drove from the northern end of Scottsdale to the southeastern end of Chandler you would pretty much be covering the length of the entire Las Vegas Valley, far exceeding the relatively small area covered by Henderson. The scale of Phoenix is just much much bigger overall and as a result it feels somewhat more like a big city. Las Vegas for the most part feels like a collection of suburbs with a tourist playground in the middle of it.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Or you could say Vegas is Phoenix without four professional sports teams, a far inferior arts scene, and a significantly less diversified economy.
If an arts scene, sports, and a diversified economy are of high-value to you, I'm not sure how Pheonix is the optimal choice, assuming you have the freedom to choose to reside in any US city.

I guess I'm saying that I can definitely see how Vegas is a good choice for people. I can't see how Pheonix is anyone's optimal choice. But whatever, a lot of people live there.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 PM

I can tell this one is going to get ugly on the people from the Phoenix forum see this thread. They just love to bash Vegas.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 AM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
If an arts scene, sports, and a diversified economy are of high-value to you, I'm not sure how Pheonix is the optimal choice, assuming you have the freedom to choose to reside in any US city.

I guess I'm saying that I can definitely see how Vegas is a good choice for people. I can't see how Pheonix is anyone's optimal choice. But whatever, a lot of people live there.
I've never lived in Phoenix, but visit there often. Most people move there for the lack of winter, the low cost of living, and the very diverse job market. The other amenities have sprouted up over time as more people and money showed up. Vegas could have many of the same things going for it, but the city and many of its citizens seem uninterested. If they are interested, they are willing to exert next to zero effort to get them. They'd love to see a more diversified economy, but don't ask them to support the schools or other infrastructure needed for it. They wouldn't mind an NBA franchise, but only if there isn't a dime of taxpayer money spent on even paving the sidewalk around a new arena and the events cause no traffic impact at all. Then if the ticket prices are similar to the minor leagues then they'll be happy to have it and might attend once or twice a year, of course when their favorite team visits.

On optical level sure Vegas has something of an appeal, but I don't see it being better than Phoenix when further research is done. The only reason you'd really find Vegas an "optimal choice" is either you are in love with the idea of no state income tax or you are only capable of doing labor or customer service jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas