Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,686 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband just got a job in Vegas and we'll be moving there with my middle-schooler over the summer. We're from FL and are accustomed to poor education systems (at least compared to the rest of the country), but we have found that the magnet schools here actually offer a better education than private schools for the gifted kids. He's a little brainiac and is currently in a math/science/technology magnet program where he's getting a great education. Is that the case in Vegas too or is still better to put him in a private school? I've looked at the Clark County Schools website and there's one middle school that sounds somewhat promising - Academy of Science and Math at Hyde Park - but I know websites can be misleading. We're willing to pay for private school, but just want to make sure he gets the best education possible. The Meadows School looks good, but their website references a waiting list so I'm a bit worried about that too. Also, here in FL, if your child is accepted to a magnet program they are provided free school bus service, even if the magnet school is out of your zone. Is that also the case in Vegas? If not, do you find it difficult to get into the magnet school if you don't live in the zone?

Thanks so much for any and all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,955 times
It can be difficult to get into Hyde Park, and other magnet programs. They get many more applications than available slots. Hype Park's program is top notch, if you can get a slot save your money. Can ride the bus if accepted no matter were you live in Clark County. Almost every middle school does offer advanced classes as well.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,686 times
Thanks Kalbo. You were right - I just got off the phone with Hyde Park and they have 600 kids on their waiting list! I guess we're looking at private schools. Is it difficult to get accepted into them? He's a very bright kid, but I'm wondering how much politics, who you know, etc come into play.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soq918 View Post
Thanks Kalbo. You were right - I just got off the phone with Hyde Park and they have 600 kids on their waiting list! I guess we're looking at private schools. Is it difficult to get accepted into them? He's a very bright kid, but I'm wondering how much politics, who you know, etc come into play.
Not quite sure which problem you are trying to solve. There are a dozen or so Public middle schools competitive with Hyde Park....Miller, Rogich, Webb,Greenspun, Leavitt, Becker, Lyon and Cadwaller to start. You might simply live in district to one of those. You can do the same at Hyde Park though note the area is marginal.

The private schools are relatively easy to get into for a bright student. Just a question of money.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,613 times
Well, I hope it was not a long job transition for your husband; the economy has been tough on lots of people. It sounds like you'll recognize the public education system! As my son was out of school when I moved here 12 years ago, I am unable to justify any comment on the private and/or magnet schools. However, I have several associates and friends with children in non-public schools and would happy to ask about their experiences and evaluations.

Additionally, I would be happy to offer you my expertise and experience in the mortgage industry when you are ready for the obligatory pre-qualification process...if you haven't already do it. Realtor typically require a letter of pre-approval prior to showing properties. If any of this registers on your richter scale, you can email me directly at jons@awmlv.com or call me at 702.287.0129.

Jon S.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyMax1 View Post
Well, I hope it was not a long job transition for your husband; the economy has been tough on lots of people. It sounds like you'll recognize the public education system! As my son was out of school when I moved here 12 years ago, I am unable to justify any comment on the private and/or magnet schools. However, I have several associates and friends with children in non-public schools and would happy to ask about their experiences and evaluations.

Additionally, I would be happy to offer you my expertise and experience in the mortgage industry when you are ready for the obligatory pre-qualification process...if you haven't already do it. Realtor typically require a letter of pre-approval prior to showing properties. If any of this registers on your richter scale, you can email me directly at jons@awmlv.com or call me at 702.287.0129.

Jon S.
Why would anyone on these forums want to use you and your services, you obviously didn't understand the Terms of Service when you signed on to City Data. And how many more threads are you going to advertise yourself in?

How can you offer something as delicate and intricate as mortgage services to folks when you blatently broke the rules of a mere chat forum? Business that bad or you just don't care?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html

"Real Estate Agents and other businesses will not advertise their services nor solicit business in their posts. Create a free business profile by going to http://www.city-data.com/profiles/add and fill out your forum profile instead. Do not include links to your websites, MLS listings, etc. in your posts. Do not try to push the envelope by attempting to hide your intentions. Do not solicit business by DMs. Show your knowledge about the area and help people and you will get leads naturally. Real estate agents should join the usergroup for them here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...editusergroups. It will set your user title and add an icon next to your name, so you will get free advertising with your posts."

Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
Nobody tells 'em off (including me) better than MomMom! She just does it with style!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: