Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 PM

229 posts, read 814,752 times

Advertisements

Olecapt, your right, I don't have stats to define Las Vegas as transient, but in my common sense tells me that if thousands are moving each month and thousands are moving out, then I would define that as transient.

I don't need a stat to tell me whether or not crime in my area is a problem. I have been dealing with it in my current neighborhood for almost six years, and my whole life in this wonderful town. By the way, I'm sorry for pickng on you, but I find it funny at times because I think I know what your response is. Regardless, it makes this forum interesting, even if I don't always agree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 06:53 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackackack View Post
Olecapt, your right, I don't have stats to define Las Vegas as transient, but in my common sense tells me that if thousands are moving each month and thousands are moving out, then I would define that as transient.

I don't need a stat to tell me whether or not crime in my area is a problem. I have been dealing with it in my current neighborhood for almost six years, and my whole life in this wonderful town. By the way, I'm sorry for pickng on you, but I find it funny at times because I think I know what your response is. Regardless, it makes this forum interesting, even if I don't always agree with it.

Thousands in and out is true of all cities. That makes the term "transient" meaninglless. I would have thought the assertion was that more people move in and out of Las Vegas than most cities thereby effecting its social structure. But that does not appear to be true.

You can of course have whatever perception of crime in your neighborhood you like. But that is really not relevant to a newcomer as it has no frame of reference. Youi are in the "I know what I know, don't try to confuse me with facts" mode.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:38 PM

If thousands are moving in and out of every city, making them no different than Las Vegas, then how are we growing faster than any of them? In any case, I can't believe I'm about to enter into a debate with you about the definition of the word "transient." Are you sure you don't sell cars or were an attorney? I immediately thought of the classic quote, "that depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is."

Once again I don't need the FBI or local crime stats to tell me that there is no problem when I know there is because I've been experiencing it first hand. I guess that is a form of denial.

When you decide to run for mayor, let us know, you will definitely get my vote. I'll even campaign for you (i'm sure you'd love that). I think Oscar would have met his match against you when it came to selling this place.

To show you I'm serious about helping you, I came up with a campaign slogan for you: "show me a stat" Olecat for mayor! (for it to work we have to drop the 'p' in your name so that it will roll of everyone's tongue, and make a great bumper sticker).

Old 08-10-2007, 04:56 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackackack View Post
... but in my common sense tells me that if thousands are moving each month and thousands are moving out, then I would define that as transient.

Your common sense has failed you this time. Vegas is a city of "transients" because those folks tend not to put down roots and remain living in the city for more than some limited length of time (a couple of years at most?). This is a function of the high number of low-paying jobs offered by the Vegas economy and perhaps also an inability to adjust to our desert climate. Obviously many folks have decided in the last couple of decades to remain residents of Vegas, else the population would not have reached 1 million and higher. The thousands arriving and leaving each month still result in a net gain of residents each year in Vegas.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
ackackack, I take it that your alias comes from a recurrent piece of dialogue in the movie "Mars Attacks," a fun "aliens invasion" parody that also parodies Vegas and which I recommend that everyone on this board view for themselves.

Mars Attacks!
The Tim Burton Collective - Mars Attacks!
COMIC BOOK COVERS

Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 PM

ParkTwain, I wish it were that clever. I never thought about that until your message. Actually it's just the title of an old punk song that the Minutemen used to play a lot. It's actually an anti-war song (can't tell because the words can't be made out and it's really short). Before computers, my stupid self thought it was what someone might hear when the person they are talking to is droning on and the listener begins to tune it out, and I thought that's what they were singing about. In any case, I like my definition.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 8,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
We're talking about burglaries here. You're not going to be at home to fire at anyone. And the burglar might steal your gun. How's about that?
That'swhy you carry the gun with you. It would have prevented my burglary in feb. 2006, I'll never live in vegas again without a big gun, and I will use it if necessary. quit being so naive and stupid and wake up.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,047 times
Yes, it is crazy. You would not believe how many burglaries are not reported. In the last month so far, in my area...89119 zip code....there has been about 90 burglaries reported.

I sell alarm systems, so it is a part of my job to research every morning.

When I go talk to people in the area about the crime, I become shocked on how often burglaries take place here. I thought it was bad in California, but geezzzz!

If anyone need a copy of reports for their area, let me know. I have lots of resources. I think everyone should consider getting systems in their home to protect their valuables.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:27 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
I don't understand...why don't they get reported? Don't police need to make out a report? If people are going to submit it to their insurance company...won't it need a police report in order to recoup?

Old 08-24-2007, 03:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
89119 if the fourth worse zip in Las Vegas for property crimes. Number 2 for violent crimes. A great place to run an alarm business.

89134 which is northern Summerlin had around 20 burglaries. 89138 where the Vistas are located had 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas