Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:10 AM

848 posts, read 1,724,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I've worked with families in the poorest neighborhoods around here and I didn't see any yards that bad. You can add HOA's to a long list of organizations that have played off of people's fears for centuries to get you to pay them money.
My sister's next door renter neighbors are pigs. I've called the cops on them in the past. My sister and my mother are too nice. Too many people living in a small 2 bedroom house, probably illegals. One of these days, I'll be calling INS on these pigs.

I reside in a community with HOA, loving it. My community looks like a resort, well kept!!! The best part of it all my association dues is going down once again to $85.00/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I actually don't like HOA's and would never buy a home in a place that had one. I just liked making the joke. HAHA
It's hard to find a nice area in LV that doesn't have HOA. My first house in LV I bought new & it was a very nice area. I drove by there 12 years later & the neighborhood has really gone downhill with no HOA. There's good & bad about them. I would prefer not to have them also, but on the other hand don't want to live in a junky neighborhood!
My son lives in an HOA & everyone doesn't keep up their yards, but their yard looks the best & if they have 1 weed they get a letter from the HOA with a pic of 1 weed!!! Go figure!!! lol

Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanks! I'll check out the 89129 area. I'm looking for max. 1700 sq. ft.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 AM

579 posts, read 1,210,302 times
No HOA, but larger lot homes that have been maintained well......have you thought about the Lone Mountain area and looking for one that was previously a custom built? Or even driving around, say the NW and finding one of those cul-de-sacs where there are only 4 of 5 homes. They tend to be 1/2 acre lots and nicely maintained.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:49 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
I detest HOAs. About a month ago I got three violation notices at the same time from my HOA. One was because my garbage can was on the curb for about two hours longer than it should have been. The others were for a "dead shrub" (I don't have one) and because there were leaves on my landscaping rocks. Trees tend to shed leaves. I suppose they would like for me to stop a natural process, and will fine me if I don't.

I can also see the time coming when the cost of my HOA dues force me to sell my house. At some point I will be retired and on a fixed income, and I'm sure that HOA dues will continue to climb as time goes along.

Never again will I buy where there is an HOA.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I detest HOAs. About a month ago I got three violation notices at the same time from my HOA. One was because my garbage can was on the curb for about two hours longer than it should have been. The others were for a "dead shrub" (I don't have one) and because there were leaves on my landscaping rocks. Trees tend to shed leaves. I suppose they would like for me to stop a natural process, and will fine me if I don't.

I can also see the time coming when the cost of my HOA dues force me to sell my house. At some point I will be retired and on a fixed income, and I'm sure that HOA dues will continue to climb as time goes along.

Never again will I buy where there is an HOA.
That's the exact reason that I do not like them! I have never lived where there were HOA's & when I think about moving back to LV, I really would like to find a nice area that doesn't have them.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
No HOA, but larger lot homes that have been maintained well......have you thought about the Lone Mountain area and looking for one that was previously a custom built? Or even driving around, say the NW and finding one of those cul-de-sacs where there are only 4 of 5 homes. They tend to be 1/2 acre lots and nicely maintained.
That's what I'm thinking about doing, driving around NW. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
I am looking for the same thing, but I would really like it to be in the good part of Henderson.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
I am looking for the same thing, but I would really like it to be in the good part of Henderson.
You are getting into conflicting specs. The "good" parts of Henderson is going to be pretty high density and entirely HOA. You can find large lot limited HOA but not in the major development areas. Either older or outlying. Perhaps in 89002 or 89015. Not in 89012 or 89052.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
That's what I'm thinking about doing, driving around NW. Thanks.
There are 255 homes for sale in the 89129,89149 area between 1500 and 1900 SF. Eleven have no or minimal HOA and a large lot. See them all in half a day.

Mostly older...12 to 25 years. Half will be beat up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas