Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 PM

232 posts, read 496,522 times

Advertisements

I believe we need prestigious schools. One for business, law, and politics and another for science, literature, and the arts. I know there are already some higher education but nothing really worth mentioning. Who agrees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
Why does an Easterner care what we have?

We have the worlds premier Hotel Restaurant Management School....thats what we do ....the rest is window dressing....we can never achieve the status of a Harvard or Yale and THEY can never acheive the status of UNLV....

Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
I believe we need prestigious schools. One for business, law, and politics and another for science, literature, and the arts. I know there are already some higher education but nothing really worth mentioning. Who agrees?
We need pretigious students first then maybe the schools will default to a prestigious level.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
We need pretigious students first then maybe the schools will default to a prestigious level.
Correct

Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 PM

270 posts, read 535,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post

Absolutely! I can't believe anyone would think otherwise. What city can hope to be successful and attractive to business without solid higher education? Thinking Vegas can survive, much less thrive, without it is being ignorant and foolish. Vegas needs more than showgirls and card sharks---unless going backwards is the plan. A city needs professionals of all sorts (sales, engineering, science and medicine, teaching, finance, etc.). It would be great to recruit great talent locally rather than be forced to bring in workers of all types and at all levels simply because the populace does not have the education to do the job. A four year degree today is what a high school diploma was twenty-five years ago.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Why does an Easterner care what we have?

We have the worlds premier Hotel Restaurant Management School....thats what we do ....the rest is window dressing....we can never achieve the status of a Harvard or Yale and THEY can never acheive the status of UNLV....

I disagree. Those who say we can never achieve what an ivy league institution has achieved are perhaps afraid to try. Why can't we?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Bizarre thinking indeed. Do "pretigious" students (prestigious maybe?) just appear?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:12 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
Bizarre thinking indeed. Do "pretigious" students (prestigious maybe?) just appear?
Yeah, thats what I meant.

What comes first? Better schools or better students?

We can have the best school in the entire country but will the students benefit from it? Will the students be able to take advantage/improve on having the best school in LV?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
Elite students come from families where the parents were high achievers, or from a culture that puts a strong emphasis on education. Neither of those exist in Las Vegas, and until they do, UNLV will always be bottom of the barrel (for everything other than the Hotel school).

Old 07-24-2011, 03:57 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,945 times
History has a lot to do with prestige. Vegas just doesn't have the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: