Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Most of these replies seem to be from non-dog lovers/owners. Where dogs are concerned I'll defend the dog before the owner, but I don't have much respect for anyone who doesn't like dogs. My wife and I like dogs better than people because dogs are better company and are always loyal.
i agree 110% .. and if you just bought the home, you should have researched the development. in my development almost 80% have dogs and a couple cats..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
+1 for buzz, dyn, and the dogs

Old 10-19-2011, 03:13 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
This I totally agree with and was going to say also. As much as it bothers me, I wondered the same thing. To me constant barking is like a Chinese water torture. I don't want to slam the dogs, I want to slam the owners. It is so irresponsible. I could NOT stand when my dog barked. I had a Lhasa and at first he was great, didn't bark at all and then he found his voice. Ugh. Drove me nuts. I would call him in at the first couple barks and he didn't want to come in, he wanted to bark. He never barked inside the house, even when someone came to the door. I guess he was just enjoyed conversing with blowing leaves and squirrels!

I'm in! And I am not an animal hater. Just bad owner hater. If you can't give them attention, you shouldn't have them. When my husband moved here, my dog didn't get the attention he needed and should have back in MI. I didn't send him here because we never knew when my husband would be working out of town. So, I did the responsible thing and found a wonderful man (he loved men!) who worked out of his home and treated his dogs like royalty! I do miss having a dog, but I know that we just don't have the lifestyle right now to give one the attention it needs and deserves. I am grateful for those who do.
Your Lhasa Apso must have had Shih Tzo in the woodpile.

The Lhasa Apso was bred to guard the bed chambers of royalty, and they were only supposed to bark if an enemy approached. My Lhasas believe the big brown monster or big white monster, that drives by, and anyone who knocks on any wood, or rings any doorbell, even on TV, is the enemy coming to kill me. But they keep my feet warm, and I know that nobody is ever going to break in while I'm asleep. I'd live in a cardboard box under a bridge before I ever gave them away.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM

412 posts, read 915,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i agree 110% .. and if you just bought the home, you should have researched the development. in my development almost 80% have dogs and a couple cats..
Yes, if there are neighbors' dogs barking when you are viewing the house for sale or for rent, then it is a red flag to move on to the next neighborhood if you don't like it.
Sometimes the dog barking problem doesn't start until after you move in or a new neighbor moves in with a barking dog.

There is a difference between just having a dog or cat and having a dog you let outside to bark and cats you let out to use other people's yards as its litter box.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:04 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Your Lhasa Apso must have had Shih Tzo in the woodpile.

The Lhasa Apso was bred to guard the bed chambers of royalty, and they were only supposed to bark if an enemy approached. My Lhasas believe the big brown monster or big white monster, that drives by, and anyone who knocks on any wood, or rings any doorbell, even on TV, is the enemy coming to kill me. But they keep my feet warm, and I know that nobody is ever going to break in while I'm asleep. I'd live in a cardboard box under a bridge before I ever gave them away.
Quite possible about the Shih Tzo part. We got him from a breeder that my sister had used and we loved her dog. She also bought another and one of my other sisters bought one too. The three from the same litter were all a mess as they grew. Two died, mine was the only one living. Years later, the whack job we bought them from was arrested for animal cruelty. Many of her "purebreds" were found to be mixed. One of her horses had gotten out and was running down a main street. I could go on...I would not ever buy from a breeder again. Only rescues. Live and learn. At least we saved some of them.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM

194 posts, read 398,204 times
Anyone buying a home, def. sit in the neighborhood early morning, nights to guage noise levels. I'm never buying a home remotely again.

Personally, I love dogs and watch Ceasar Milan all the time... he's syndicated in Asia, it's great.

What irked me was the idea that I need to sugar coat the issue with my neighbor upon return. Neighborly is a 2 way street and starts with common sense. If that's not there...

I'm going to ask nicely he bring them inside when he leaves, that's when they bark the most. And hope the pit never goes after my 3 year old daughter when loose. I appreciate the replies.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Quite possible about the Shih Tzo part. We got him from a breeder that my sister had used and we loved her dog. She also bought another and one of my other sisters bought one too. The three from the same litter were all a mess as they grew. Two died, mine was the only one living. Years later, the whack job we bought them from was arrested for animal cruelty. Many of her "purebreds" were found to be mixed. One of her horses had gotten out and was running down a main street. I could go on...I would not ever buy from a breeder again. Only rescues. Live and learn. At least we saved some of them.
We bailed our Herman out of the slammer, and you couldn't ask for a better dog. He's not 100% Lhasa and, according to him, his biological parents never told him what he is. The prissy one, Dusty, is a registered full blooded from a pet store. We said we'd never buy from a pet store, but we were looking for another Lhasa to replace the babies we lost very close together, and there he was. He stole our hearts.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:02 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
The dogs are merely trying to communicate that their owner is a douche and would like a new family. Dogs are fantastic animals and I never allow my dogs to incessantly bark. An unfortunate part of living in a materialistic society gone mad is that people buy dogs like they're just another fashion accessory and only pay attention to them when it serves the owner.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 PM

542 posts, read 986,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
The dogs are merely trying to communicate that their owner is a douche and would like a new family. Dogs are fantastic animals and I never allow my dogs to incessantly bark. An unfortunate part of living in a materialistic society gone mad is that people buy dogs like they're just another fashion accessory and only pay attention to them when it serves the owner.
This^

However, this isn't a "dog" issue. Its a neighbor issue (duh---don't jump down my throat just yet).

There is fault on both sides. Should the douche have his dog barking 24/7? Of course not. But, is there a chance that he doesn't know it bugs the hell out of the neighbors? Sure.

I just don't understand why some of you guy's first line of defense is "call the cops". Makes no sense to me. Are you completely scared of any kind of confrontation?

Perhaps you do something really freaking annoying, but your neighbor just ignores it, because he understand that everyone is different and everyone doesn't live the same way you live....?

Step 1 should be just to go ask him to put the dog inside. There should be a level of compromise here. Dogs need to go outside (Being attended in a fenced yard is ridiculous. Its a dog, not an infant). Perhaps set certain hours, or time limits you both can agree on?

If he agrees, then case closed. If he gives you the finger and slams the door in your face, THEN call the cops.

We all have to live together here!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:30 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
We treat our "pound dog" like one of the family - not like an animal who only needs food and water once in a while. The more love and affection you show towards your dog, the more love and affection it will show towards you. We allow our dog one or two "woofs" before we make him come inside. He's happy, we're happy, and our neighbors are happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas