Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
But do you go shopping? Doctor visits? Visit friends in other parts of town? Job searching? Need to go to a government office for anything? Pick up someone at the airport, or take your aging MIL to get glasses? As a visitor you probably don't live like we do. For everyday life in Las Vegas, a car is the most important thing to have. You could live without one, but ask anyone who has to get along without a car everyday of the year if they like it.
First off - I'm not a visitor. I have a house in another state and a condo in Las Vegas on The Strip. I live in both. And, yes - I've done all those things you bring up in Las Vegas without a car.

Look, I understand the practicality of cars. I use a car quite a bit in Utah because I live on the edge of a metropolis and don't have good access to public transportation. But, where I'm located in Las Vegas I'm right on the main public transportation routes and can easily go in any direction I please. And, that's no accident as access to public transportation was a prime consideration when I bought my condo.

My take on all this is, if you ask people whether or not there's good public transportation in Las Vegas (or any other city), the answer will depend heavily on what part of the city they live in.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 AM

291 posts, read 452,340 times
Default Great Stuff!

Many interesting viewpoints and specific locale information. Think I'll slip into Google streetview and do some virtual cruising to see for myself what y'all are talking about.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
Having young active kids without a car is almost impossible. My oldest daughter has Girl scout meetings, soccer practice, after school programs and tumbling class all through out the week. I'm not saying that its impossible but taking the buss/taxi to all of these appointments would be very time consuming.

Yes, Vegas does have a great public transportation depending on your lifestyle, job, family status and daily activities.

We had a guy in my squadron that took the bus to work for about a week because his car was in the shop. He told me he was waking up 2-3 hours before work even started to get there on time. I think he literally kissed his car when it came out of the shop.

I would not mind not needing a car in the FAR distant future. But that time wont come till I'm retired, kids are grown and I have half the responsibilities I have now.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:57 AM

Default He Who Travels Fastest Goes Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Yes, Vegas does have a great public transportation depending on your lifestyle, job, family status and daily activities.
Fortunately I am single, retired, impervious to discomfort, easily amused and have all the time in the world (just not alot of money). I think it'll work out.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:18 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I would not mind not needing a car in the FAR distant future. But that time wont come till I'm retired, kids are grown and I have half the responsibilities I have now.
It's no coincidence you've described my status.

Bill

Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times
I kiss my car all the time von, I rode the bus pretty much my whole life, until I bought my car 3 years ago

I practically jumped on my car when I got it out of the body shop from being t-boned ironically by a 2004 nissan altima. My insurance gave me a crummy Chevy Cobalt to drive while my Altima got fixed. I hated that Cobalt, the ac didn't work right, it was VERY SLOW, and stunk on gas

Old 12-17-2011, 10:23 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I kiss my car all the time von, I rode the bus pretty much my whole life, until I bought my car 3 years ago

I practically jumped on my car when I got it out of the body shop from being t-boned ironically by a 2004 nissan altima. My insurance gave me a crummy Chevy Cobalt to drive while my Altima got fixed. I hated that Cobalt, the ac didn't work right, it was VERY SLOW, and stunk on gas
I'm with you on that. I was always riding the bus with my mom as a young kid. Started riding the city bus by myself around age 12. At age 15 I decided to start saving a car since I was working. Took me a little over a year to save up $1,200 for my first car.

I did my time on the city bus.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:06 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,740 times
If you value your time. Then the bus is a no go. Sure you can get all around the valley. Just be prepared to take all day to get there.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:40 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times
If I were to walk right out of my apt complex and catch the bus into downtown LV, id set aside at LEAST one hour to get there.

In my car, I just hop on 95.& am there in 12-15 minutes

Old 12-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
If you value your time. Then the bus is a no go. Sure you can get all around the valley. Just be prepared to take all day to get there.
I value my time but I also value reading. I never take the bus without having a book to read. I actually get more reading done on the bus since at home there's the temptation of the TV, DVD movies and - like right now - the computer. When I ride the bus I'm forced to read and usually am very glad I was. At the end of the day I can say that even though I wasted the evening in front of the tube at least I got through a couple of chapters of something edifying on the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas