Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:36 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,577,547 times

Advertisements

What are the areas for theeeee worst flooding in the valley?(Intersections)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 01:38 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Eastside. And anywhere there is new building construction going on.
Although today, (monday) some homes in the northwest flooded out, east side flooded, southwest flooded.
If you choose to live upslope of the flooded areas, thats a better choice. Think far west side, far north side(not northeast).
Far south side up the hill by Anthem. etc.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
What are the areas for theeeee worst flooding in the valley?(Intersections)
Depends on where it rains......

Every time seems to be differant

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,895 times
Hillbilly Heights is usually one of the hardest hit.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:13 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Hillbilly Heights is usually one of the hardest hit.
Surprising to me "Sheriff".....I live in what you lovingly call "Hillbilly Heights" and we had no flooding problem at all.....coud it be that the "Sheriff" "Shoots from the lip" ?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:33 AM

12 posts, read 34,604 times
how often does it flood there? does it happen with every rain as mentioned in a post above? is something like that "required" to be disclosed when someone is renting or going to rent?

Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Flooding is relatively rare. It generally occurs in July,August,Sept and is mostly very local. What we get is a cloud burst that overwhelms the local drainage system. Much of the valley is pretty well protected though a local hundred year storm can really hit anywhere...then all bets are off. I would note that hundred year storms appear to occur every ten years or so...go figure.

There are known flood plains which do not include Charleston Heights. There are certain areas that have flooded repeatedly. Gowan between 95 and Rancho as an example. The Hardware store at the Corner of Rancho and Gowan has been hit a couple of times.

If buying in a new area I would maintain flood insurance for a few years...it is relatively cheap and the event is a very expensive one. However after a couple of good gully washers with no problems I would give it up.

As a renter I would ignore it. These floods are very rare and over in an hour. The worst thing that happens to a renter is having to move. Only property actually on the floor on a low level would be in danger.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,985 times
I lived in Vegas 3 years and encountered two MAJOR floods. When I lived at Sahara/Maryland Pkwy it was so bad small cars were floating down Sahara with the drivers in them. I'm sure our ground floor apartments flooded, the parking lot had almost 3 feet of water. I saw the Charleston underpass by the freeway completely filled with 15 feet of water. That area was scary. I moved way up to the west side and had no problems. I lived on the Strip on Koval and there's an elaborate drainage system that keeps it dry in that spot. Bottom line, start at the freeway and strip and go east...that's where the worst flooding is. I bought a bigger, heavier vehicle after my 2nd flood. These aren't the norm but they happen and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:57 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I lived in Vegas 3 years and encountered two MAJOR floods. When I lived at Sahara/Maryland Pkwy it was so bad small cars were floating down Sahara with the drivers in them. I'm sure our ground floor apartments flooded, the parking lot had almost 3 feet of water. I saw the Charleston underpass by the freeway completely filled with 15 feet of water. That area was scary. I moved way up to the west side and had no problems. I lived on the Strip on Koval and there's an elaborate drainage system that keeps it dry in that spot. Bottom line, start at the freeway and strip and go east...that's where the worst flooding is. I bought a bigger, heavier vehicle after my 2nd flood. These aren't the norm but they happen and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
They are rare and localized. They can occur anywhere. There is a picture around of a rubber boat pushing floating cars in the parking garage at MGM.

A good part of the strip is in the main drainage path.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
They are rare and localized. They can occur anywhere. There is a picture around of a rubber boat pushing floating cars in the parking garage at MGM.

A good part of the strip is in the main drainage path.
These happen every several years...and they weren't localized per se, they had a swath from Charleston and the freeway south to Trop and way, way east. These were well documented and happened 9 and 8 years ago respectively. It's not like they happen every year or two but they happen. These are well documented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas