Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 15,244 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I have been a long time reader of the city data forums but never had incentive to make an account. I mostly dwelled in the New Jersey forums and hopped around other state forums from time to time. Moving out of New Jersey has always been in my mind since before I turned 18 but the powers that be have always denied me such wishes. I have reached a certain point in my life, where moving out is a viable option. I will try to give you a brief summary of my work history.

I started working a few months before my 17th Birthday.

March 2007 Thru November 2007

Worked at an Ice Cream shop. Dealt with customers all day. Took orders, had to be courteous, and brown nose so they would leave me something in the tip jar. At the end of the day I swept. I didn't get much, but I used to save the tip I got everyday and pay my cell phone bill with it. Those were my financial woes at the time, lol.

November 2007 Thru June 2008

During this period I worked in the produce section of a big supermarket in North Jersey called Corrado's. If you've ever resided in North Jersey you'll know that it gets quite busy there. Because of the voluminous amount of customers coming in, their supply of fruit was constantly being depleted. So they always had workers come to the floor and refill the fruit stands. That's what I did. It involved heavy lifting (most of the fruit came in boxes), dealing with customers and making sure they didn't pick fruit that was about to become rotten. At the end of the day I swept the floor.

June 2008 Thru August 2010

As soon as I finished High School, I took the opportunity and got my S.O.R.A license which allowed me to do security in New Jersey. I started working for a security firm in June. I was in a guard house and received the trucks that came in and out of a shipping facility. I had to write the time they came in/out, mileage, record wear and tear that the trucks received and report it to the DOT department. After about a year or so I was promoted to a lead guard position which entailed me to manage the schedules for seven security guards. If someone called out or didn't show up, I had to fill in regardless of the time. I also had to mitigate the amount of Overtime given to the guards. The less OT they got, the happier my superiors were with me. It was a great job but there was no room to move up. Oh and sometimes I had to sweep the guard shack. Notice a pattern here? lol

August 2010 - Present

I have been working at a Pharmaceutical paper printing company. They print out the tiny little pieces of paper that are folded 20 times and packed into medicines like Vicodin, Oxycontin, ect... I started as a floor person which was picking up pallets on the factory floor, cleaning, mopping, driving the Stand up Forklift to move pallets around. After about a year I started being trained to become a helper in two of the printing presses. My duties there included driving the paper roll forklift, cleaning the presses, splicing new rolls onto the press, making sure the presses had enough Ink and water and of course sweeping the floor around the presses, lol. It is a very dirty job. I also work third shift which is 11pm to 7am.

So now that you have been somewhat introduced to my work history, let me tell you a bit about myself. I will turn 22 in April. I am single, have no kids, I also have 3 credits cards . I use them to pay my bills and then pay them at the end of the month. My credit isn't great but it is not abhorrent either. I am currently living with my mother, we go halfsies on everything. Rent, food, car insurance, ect.

I've been driving since November 2007, I was 17. No speeding tickets, no points. My license is immaculate. I had a car for until 2010. I got rid of it due to it constantly giving me problems. Since then I have been under my mothers insurance. We pay $1,800 a year for liability insurance on a 2005 mini van.

Now all I ask is that you please give me an honest opinion of what my chances are surviving and/or thriving in Las Vegas. And of course it goes without saying that your thoughts will be based on conjecture and experience and I should not take them as text book advice.

What is the job market like in Vegas? From what I've gathered on this forum, there is work out there but only for people who are willing to work. If you haven't noticed it by now, I am not afraid to do heavy lifting, get dirty or cajole customers into getting a nice tip. Nor am I afraid to work odd hours.

What's car insurance like?

I will, of course going alone with about $2,000 in savings. $3,700 that I can use on my credit cards and weekly unemployment checks. I'm usually a cynic, but I think I have a shot of starting a life over there. Please correct me if I am being too optimistic. The only major albatross in my plans is that I will not have a car when I get there. With the money that I will have, it would not be wise to buy a car here in Jersey and drive over there.

My annual vacation will be in April and I'm planning to take a trip over there to see if I like it.

My apologies if I wrote too much or not enough and for spelling mistakes/typos. I wrote this in a rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Is this your resume?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 PM

10 posts, read 79,088 times
WOOSH! Four long years of saving up (soon to be five if you last out this year)! No comments, nothing to say after reading all of that. People have come with nothing to LA and made it, so you'd probably have an even better chance in Vegas. CONGRATS ON ALL THE JOBS IN SUCH A BAD ECON!!!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 PM

@von949 Pretty much.

@Esther thanks? I'd be lying if I told you that I saved up for all four of those years. I did OK considering I was just out of High School, lol.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 79,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarAllenLovecraft View Post
@von949 Pretty much.

@Esther thanks? I'd be lying if I told you that I saved up for all four of those years. I did OK considering I was just out of High School, lol.
Yes but how were you able to get those jobs? All the kids I know in California (even up in SF and SJ) were pretty much screwed if they graduated HS in or after 2005. The econ tanked after they completed their degrees. The kids that graduate from my local high schools are lucky to find employment at a McDonald's, and it's not uncommon to graduate, work on an MA, and work fast food or another low minimum wage job before actually getting the job you were prepared in school for.

A lot of them have told me they applied to even the minimum wage ones while in college or shortly after graduation. They never got a call back or anything.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther Olivia View Post
Yes but how were you able to get those jobs? All the kids I know in California (even up in SF and SJ) were pretty much screwed if they graduated HS in or after 2005. .

A lot of them have told me they applied to even the minimum wage ones while in college or shortly after graduation. They never got a call back or anything.
I can't speak for the kids in Cali but the youth in Jersey can be lazy at times and don't want it as badly. But that's just what I see. Also, the only job that I really applied for was the Ice Cream shop gig. The owner actually forgot about me. I called him a few days after I applied and asked him if he still needed help. He said I can start the next day.

The other jobs I had a friend or family member put in a good word for me. Once I was working there I made it a point NOT to make them look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: