Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM

6 posts, read 12,185 times

Advertisements

My Fiance and I had been looking for houses and condos here in Las Vegas for about 6 months; we didn't find anything before our lease was up for renewal and signed on for another term. Now with a few months left we're thinking about looking again.

The pickle is ... a potential job may take us elsewhere within a year or so. Would anyone like to comment on whether it'd be advisable to buy a condo here (for a good price) even if it means moving away and renting in the next 12-15 months?

We're looking at this long-term (as a place to retire) and not necessarily thinking income-generating. As long as we could cover the mortgage I think it might be a wise investment. I know that we're not in a position to buy in the market we may be moving to. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:33 PM

131 posts, read 402,120 times
Owning has many pros. One being able to write-off all the interest in your mortgage that you pay each year. With renting your money is just gone.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 PM

399 posts, read 694,103 times
Unless your paying cash, it's pretty hard to find a mortgage on a condo right now.
The home values right now are historically low. If you were coming back to Las Vegas in a few years, I would think that you could do well by renting. I purchased a great home, in a nice area last year for $70,000 - put 20% down and my mortgage payment is $432 a month. I thought I got a great deal that will, over the long haul, increase in value. If you can find a good long term tenant, it would be worth your while to offer them a low rent in exchange for knowing your house is in good hands. Good luck and I wish you well.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 12,185 times
Yes, the cash buyers are in part why we haven't been able to find anything yet. We got pre-approved and have the 20% ... just need to find the right one. We're trying to keep it in the 70-80 range as well. Seems like a smart move in many ways; thanks for the input

Old 02-03-2012, 05:01 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times
i have been a landlord and it wasnt my idea of fun - this may not apply to you but rentors are not going to take care of your home or condo as you would - so you should prepare yourself for the worse as they move in and out - what about outdoor maintenance - if you purchase a condo you shouldnt have any worries but if you purchase a home you will - who is going to hire paintors and other contractors as needed in your absence -
if you sound as if your rather young so if your looking toward retirement which could 30 or so years away that is a very long time to be an absentee landlord - i was a landlord for 7 years and to me it was the nightmare that didnt end until it was sold and i only lived 30 minutes away -
in my humble opinion i would just rent until your move - take the money you would have used as a down payment on a condo or home and save it toward a condo or home where your moving to

Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,554 times
Prices will not be going up so what is the impetus to buy today? There are massive amounts of "shadow inventory" and of the 12 million homeowners in a negative equity position 4 million of them are either 90 days late or in some stage of foreclosure. There is a very real possibility that housing in Vegas will fall to mid 80's Reagan era prices.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
There is a very real possibility that housing in Vegas will fall to mid 80's Reagan era prices.
Some bank-owned properties may already be at that point. My folks bought a modest house in Montana for $65K in 1976. Decent $65K houses in the LV area can be had today. With hedge funds gearing up to buy in bulk, I doubt that decent houses will be had for $50K, and even if they do it's only a $15K loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas