Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM

280 posts, read 571,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I'm not talking about the entire state switching, just the Las Vegas metropolitan area. Don't you want more sun in the winter?
More sun in the winter and a lot less in the summer. But changing time zones is not going to change the amount of sunshine Las Vegas gets in a single day. Its a mental thing, either wake up earlier or later. As today for example the sun will be up for 10h 52m 56s approximately, it wouldn't matter what time zone your in, the sun will still be up 10h 52m 56s at the same latitude.

on a side note...I have heard from many people that it is confusing that they call it "Pacific" Time Zone. Some associate it JUST with the 3 western states (CA, OR, WA; even though a chunk of Eastern OR is Mountain Time). Why don't we just rename it the Western Time Zone? It would fall in line with the Eastern and Central Time Zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 06:04 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,880,321 times
As someone who moved into mountain time let me tell you its great. TV times make more sense and for sports fans there really is little downside as you get football starting at more reasonable hours and even East Coast weeknight games start at a more useful 5pm. And as for semantics, screw the rest of the state. Clark County can be its own time, there isnt exactly a lot of people outside the county to worry about. As for daylight it would definitely help having a 5pm sunset instead of 4pm in winter and I'd keep DST because the sun is up way too early in summer as it is.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I'm not talking about the entire state switching, just the Las Vegas metropolitan area. Don't you want more sun in the winter?
Not necessarily. Anyway it would be too confusing. But as a former television programming executive, I know the stations sure wouldn't give up their Prime Access time without a fight. Just think of all the TV shows that now air from 7:00 to 8:00PM that would be lost to you. Then think of the lost revenue that would mean for the local stations; and they wouldn't want to run their 11:00PM News at 10:00PM, although those numbers might go up a little along with a little off-setting revenue. But they'd lose too much. It's been discussed over and over for 50 years in TV. The networks are against it for their own O & O's, and they don't like it for the affiliates either.

I'm sure other businesses would be affected adversely too. You know farmers wouldn't be happy. They're the reason we don't have year round DST.

Anyway, neither you nor I will ever have a say in the matter will we?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,500 times
A better question is why the whole country doesn't just drop DST, adopt a 13 month/28 day calendar and go back to the gold standard....if there IS any in FK anymore.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:56 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Not necessarily. Anyway it would be too confusing. But as a former television programming executive, I know the stations sure wouldn't give up their Prime Access time without a fight. Just think of all the TV shows that now air from 7:00 to 8:00PM that would be lost to you. Then think of the lost revenue that would mean for the local stations; and they wouldn't want to run their 11:00PM News at 10:00PM, although those numbers might go up a little along with a little off-setting revenue. But they'd lose too much. It's been discussed over and over for 50 years in TV. The networks are against it for their own O & O's, and they don't like it for the affiliates either.
Well, it seems to work fine in places like Chicago and St. Louis for example. As you know, Mountain Time is to Pacific, as Central is to Eastern. Prime time starts at 7pm, local news is at 10pm, and late night starts at 10:30pm. As someone who lived in Illinois for awhile, I can say that I loved that schedule.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, it seems to work fine in places like Chicago and St. Louis for example. As you know, Mountain Time is to Pacific, as Central is to Eastern. Prime time starts at 7pm, local news is at 10pm, and late night starts at 10:30pm. As someone who lived in Illinois for awhile, I can say that I loved that schedule.
I've lived in, and programmed TV stations, in all four time zones. It is a pain in the tush in the Central and Mountain time zones. Even more so when the networks feeds came to us via land line or microwave.

In the Eastern and Pacific time zones, local network affiliates have a precious commodity called Prime Access. It is when they run their own programming between the end of the news at 6:30pm and 8:00pm Prime time. In other words they have an hour of time to sell all the commercials locally that the other two zones, which start Prime at 7:00pm, don't have. That hour is worth a fortune to local stations. Some CST and MST markets run news 5:00 to 5:30 to give themselves that extra hour, but it's a tough sell to advertisers since the earlier time isn't worth as much.

Another thing that has been talked about is now that the Central and Mountain times get their network feeds via satellite, and it can be fed at anytime they want, that those time zones could go to the 8:00pm Prime time. But there is a lot of opposition to that too, since for over 60 years those viewers have become used to the 7:00pm start with a 10:00pm news. There are a couple of minor advantages to the early Prime, but not worth it in the long run.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,679 times
In 2005, there was a bill in the Nevada Assembly that would have had the entire state opt out of daylight saving time. But it died without a vote.

Other states that have proposed in the past opting out of DST are Colorado and Florida. Indiana finally has DST across the whole state, yet some areas still debate what parts should be on Eastern Time and what should be on Central Time.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,500 times
I'm for scrapping DST AND the current Gregorian calendar in favor of the more natural lunar or Compte calendar comprising of 13 28 day moths and a "YEAR" day at the New Year.

International Fixed Calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 PM

80 posts, read 144,972 times
I prefer it getting dark at 4 pm...

Old 10-26-2012, 06:52 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
I grew up in Indiana without daylight savings time. Let me tell you, when we did switch to daylight savings time a few years ago, it was annoying! But we still get people arguing that we should be on central time, not eastern time, because the solar noon or some nonsense during the summer is at 1:30 instead of 12. Because you can really tell a difference! </sarcasm>

But being the extreme western edge of the eastern time zone, it's the exact opposite here that it is in Vegas. While winters the sun sets around 5:15, in the summer, it doesn't set until almost 9:30. Fourth of July fireworks shows don't start until about 10:15. Working until 5, I love the extra daylight, and I certainly would not like to have the sun setting at 4 like it does nearby in Chicago in the winter. But the biggest argument I hear for moving to central time is that it's dark so long in the morning when children are at the bus stop, though there is no proof that there are been more traffic accidents due to it being dark longer in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas