Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 06:11 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times

Advertisements

There are quite a few reasons we chose Las Vegas, and taxes were one of them. It wasn't so much the state income tax, but rather property taxes which are less than 1/4th of what they are in Illinois for the same value house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 06:56 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Newer cars use a lot more galvanized steel than older ones did, and don't rust nearly as quickly or as much. And if a lot of the miscellaneous rubber breaks down, it can be difficult and expensive to replace.

Really sourther Cali is the ideal environment for a car, no snow, not so hot.
Make sure you get a second opinion on that. Lexus told us my husband needs rubber something (wheel parts maybe?), took it to a trusty garage (a friend) and they looked at it and said no you don't!

Another positive here is the live and let live attitude. As long as these 'liver's' leave the rest of us alone.
That didn't happen several places I lived in the midwest. And I still see that judge mentalness from friends I left behind there.

Like that many people are here from somewhere else. Makes the place not so clicky.

And all the previous lists posted.
But I disagree on the 5 months of summer. Sometime summer starts in June, sometime it waits till July. Last September was cool. Next week its suppose to cool to the 80's, with out humidity that feel like 65 to me.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:43 PM

554 posts, read 608,795 times
I lived in Las Vegas for over 6 years, and loved it. I live in Texas now, on the outskirts of Houston. Neither Texas nor Nevada has a state income tax, and that's an enormous plus for me. However, the predominant criteria for me is weather: I will not live anywhere that gets cold/snow. The weather in Houston is hot and humid, with a few months of chilly weather (and 5 months of spectacular weather). The weather in Las Vegas is hot and dry, with more than a few months of chilly weather. Personally (and I know I'm in the minority), I prefer humid weather; dry weather makes my skin itch. I actually love the Houston humidity.

Weather aside, the lack of state taxes in both Nevada and Texas is a huge plus, and almost co-equal to weather in my living considerations. The property taxes aren't bad, either, at least where I live (in Katy). If I had to leave the Houston area, my shortlist only has Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Tampa-Orlando. Florida has no state income tax as well, cost of living is relatively low, and there is access to the beach. Phoenix ? I love Arizona, and the outdoors, and I think the city has some great things going for it. Arizona does have a relatively low state income tax, and that would only be a minor consideration for me, everything else being equal.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:45 PM

3 posts, read 9,865 times
I would like to move here too.. :P

Old 05-06-2017, 11:51 PM

554 posts, read 608,795 times
I should add: the medical-hospital services in Las Vegas are a negative, and I should know: I work in that field. If one needs advanced medical care (like a transplant), one will be heading to Los Angeles or Phoenix. Houston's can't be beat, Phoenix's are pretty darn good, and so are those in Tampa-Orlando.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:25 AM

412 posts, read 509,756 times
The only two reasons I moved here was because:

1. The dry climate
2. The income taxes

If this was purely for income taxes, I would rather live in Florida or Texas.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM

209 posts, read 263,866 times
I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think the lack of income tax really makes that much difference, and certainly shouldn't be the only reason to move to Nevada. The majority of workers in the state, meaning at least 51%, are working class and are simply making enough money to provide themselves with an honest living. Not paying income tax probably equates to a few thousand dollars more in their pocket than they would have had in another state.

On the flip side of that, it's likely that they would have been paid more money to do the same job in a state that deducts income tax. The average annual salary for my profession in California is $60k, and in Nevada it's $40k...for the same exact career. I may not be paying income tax in Nevada, but at the end of the day I'm still making less that I would in California even after paying income tax.

Further, there are many things in Nevada that actually cost more than they do elsewhere. Using my own experience, I actually have to pay more for my cable, internet, car insurance, car registration, electricity and gas bills in Nevada than I did in Southern California. When I go to the grocery store I'm not paying any less for the same items that I did in California. However, cigarettes are cheaper haha. My point is, it all generally tends to balance out. I think the "affordable" housing and low property tax were much bigger draws for me. It's much easier for me to own an home, pay off that home and retire with a relatively low property tax being paid out of my retirement fund each year than in another state. Not to mention, any inheritance that my parents give me will not be taxed, and what I leave my children will not be taxed like it might in another state. That can add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:35 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
As a Carpenter, I make 40.25 an hour here in NV.
As a Carpenter, I make 42.xx an hour in LA/San Diego/San Fransisco.

My paycheck, despite making more per hour, will be quite a bit less in Cali. All because of state tax. On top of that, I would be paying 4 times more for a comparable house and I would have no chance of actually buying there.
There's nothing over there that isn't more expensive. I would need 2 full time union jobs just to have the same quality of life as I do here.
Same goes for Seattle, Boston, and NYC. All places with similar Carpenter wages. Nowhere else would I make as much money. Not even close.
Arizona Carpenters get 18 an hour. Colorado is 17 an hour.

There is no other city you can live in as cheaply as Las Vegas and have as much opportunity to make a lot of money.

We have 6 figure bartenders, waitresses, strippers, street performers, tradesmen, and various other service positions.

You can buy a house here for 200k. LA it's 600k.
Some things are high here, like registration, but it's just as high in other places with similar wages and lifestyle.

On top of that, we have no traffic. I have never come to a complete stop on the highway. In other cities you never don't have to stop on the highway.

Vegas is about the best place you can live all things considered. Cost of living is low. High pay potential. Every band or performer you want to see comes here. We can get food from all over the world. People from all over the world live and visit here. People are pretty accepting of other people here. You don't see the racism you do elsewhere. It's here, but nowhere near what it is in other places.

You can live here and drive to the beach, stay in a hotel, every weekend and still spend less money than just living near the beach.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:47 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,346,441 times
I lived in a state where I paid $3K in state income taxes on an income that was roughly half what my first job in Las Vegas paid. The cost of living was higher here, but it certainly wasn't double what I had been paying.

Honestly, the Strip had little to do with my decision to move here. I like the entertainment, but I can gamble anytime I want to without having to pack off to the Strip. Unlike many tourists, I explored the area well beyond the Strip and found a city that I genuinely liked. You're also within a day's drive of the Pacific Ocean, many major western cities and national parks.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:00 PM

414 posts, read 359,574 times
No state income taxes was not my main motivation for moving here from NJ, but it was a nice bonus. On the flip side, the car registration taxes out here were an unpleasant surprise, so I guess they get you one way or another. It was only $60 to register a car in NJ - I still own property in NJ and should have kept my cars registered there. I still make out much better not paying the state income tax, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: