Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:38 AM

151 posts, read 227,453 times

Advertisements

Why do landscapers butcher the palm trees in Las Vegas? The "hurricaine cut" is not necessary in the desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 06:45 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
They say it's for better hygiene, but most women like it better than the anteater look!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
They do it anywhere where there is palms.Here in SD and up in LA they do it alot.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:58 PM

40 posts, read 281,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
Why do landscapers butcher the palm trees in Las Vegas? The "hurricaine cut" is not necessary in the desert.
Because most of them have no clue what they are doing. Everyone else sees this and they ask for their trees to be butchered.

Someone in my neighborhood has a Canare palm that is about 12' tall (trunk). Some idiot cut the top so that the remaining frawns just point up (leaving much less support on the bottom of the remaining frawns). The wind kicked up this year and took all of the remaining frawns off. They now have a $10,000 stump.

I have some large queen palms (about 20+ feet) and they were almost dead when I bought my house. The local "experts" told me to water more and add Dr. Q's plant food. I researched it online and found Lutz Fertilizer spikes. I had a potassium and managanse deficiency. I added the right fertilizer along with maintenance spikes and they are as healthy as can be. Beautiful green tops and plenty of new frawns. They even made it through the frost.

I now have almost 70 palms. I planted them using concrete washed sand with drip irrigation and vent tubes and add managneze and maintenance spikes to all but the meds and californias. They are all doing very well. I just noticed this weekend that one of my canare's is looking light green in the frawns and spotting. I added potassium and magnesium and they should look great in a few months (fingers crossed).

If you want to have nice palms here do your research and don't listen to the local "experts." I cut my frawns several times a year so that the top is not weakened. The trees also use the old frawns for nutrients. The old frawns should be brown before cutting them off. The only time that I cut frawns that are green is if a tree is extremely healthy and can spare the extra frawns. With the frost last winter I had to cut my frawns about every three weeks or month in the spring. I let the trees use up all the nutrients and then keep the dead frawns for a while for top support in case the wind kicked up.

I hope this helps anyone that has palms. Try googling "Lutz Fertilizer." Great product and you only put it in once a year.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 PM

109 posts, read 532,171 times
If your looking for some expert info on palms try this link, I'm a member there register for free tons of info and great friendly advice.
PALMTALK (broken link)

About the Queen Palm (Syagrus romanzoffiana), I havent seen a good decent palm here, they are not cold tolerant or extreme heat low humidity from vegas weather. It would be nice to see a healty Canary date palm just like this one:
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-18-2007, 02:11 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Yes it would be nice to see those here. You may have to print this out and give it to the morons that trim the trees, and say, "make it look like this, don't butcher it."

Last edited by PinkString; 09-18-2007 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: another stupid typo because its late and im really tired :P

Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 AM

72 posts, read 278,974 times
I so agree! I had tree cutter in my neighborhood all last week, and I couldn't understand why or what they were doing. Tree's looked fine before, but now they look artificial.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 PM

104 posts, read 254,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada1 View Post
Some idiot cut the top so that the remaining frawns just point up (leaving much less support on the bottom of the remaining frawns).
Friend, and this is not spelling police, but since you have 70 palms, just to let you know it's "fronds", not "frawns". I think you're mixing the word up with prawns. Which don't live in palms. At least not that I know of.

And THANK YOU for the recommendation about Lutz . . .

https://www.lutzcorp.com/index.cfm (broken link)

Ordered mine today and thanks for the heads-up!

SOH

Old 09-18-2007, 09:49 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
LOL..now why didn't i catch the frawns..lol. I know, i was half asleep when i logged in here last night.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:15 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Lots of them have just been transplanted. There's tons of new landscaping in Vegas. Others just have idiots circumsizing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: