Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,796 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind NV has no state income tax so figure out how much a week you pay for that and the tax you pay in each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,312 times
RN may pay less here but she will pay more to live in California.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
She also knows to be aware that RN salaries are nearly 1/2 what they are in CA.
My CA nurse friend makes $40 an hour with only 3 years of experience.
Try to find that in NV.
Ahh my home nurse (RN) was making $35 an hour and living in Panorama 2. Try and do the equivalent to that in LA. She was also working 70 hours a week but that was by choice and by greed.

Six foot tall and used to drive around with the boy toy in the car.

I think though he made more than she did. Still liked the ride though .

Good story I may tell one day.

There will always be a Las Vegas.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:32 PM

46 posts, read 74,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
RN may pay less here but she will pay more to live in California.
It also true that RNs here work harder here in Nevada. They take care of many patients compared to Cali where a patient care ratio exists. Inaddition, unlike Cali where there are CNAs to assist the nurse, nurses here are basically on their own in Las Vegas. I rather make more money, take care of 4 patient per nurse, and pay a little more for rent than to absorb all the drama here.

But again, people that want to move here should spend a couple weeks out here to find out what the real Las Vegas is all about.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:03 AM

18 posts, read 36,234 times
i actually don't have hospital experience as an RN. i have been working as an RN for only 2 years in hospice. in socal, it is close to impossible for new grads to find hospital jobs. i don't know what it's likein vegas. are there hospice jobs in vegas?
i am 31 yrs old and am planning to start a family. i heard vegas schools are bad but are there any good schools around?
the heat i can tolerate. i like vegas compared to socal because in socal, it gets boring.the only thing i can do is go to malls, have dinner and watch movies at night. i'm actually in vegas now for a vacation and have met a realtor who is selling me an investment house for $100k. it is a 4BR 2BA bungalow. im thinking of putting 50k downpayment and have it rented (it is actually being rentedbfor $1k now), get a 15 year loan. if either me or my husband gets a job in vegas, we can move to the house and have very small monthly payments. later on, we can get a nice house in a nicer neighborhood and still keep the bungalow.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle_81 View Post
and have met a realtor who is selling me an investment house for $100k. it is a 4BR 2BA bungalow. im thinking of putting 50k downpayment and have it rented (it is actually being rentedbfor $1k now), get a 15 year loan. if either me or my husband gets a job in vegas, we can move to the house and have very small monthly payments. later on, we can get a nice house in a nicer neighborhood and still keep the bungalow.
There is a chance you may actually get decent tenants and everything will turn out great. A very small chance.

I wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole. In fact, I would rather dig a hole in my back yard, fill it with money, and light it on fire. That would be less of a hassle than managing Las Vegas rental property remotely.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There is a chance you may actually get decent tenants and everything will turn out great. A very small chance.

I wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole. In fact, I would rather dig a hole in my back yard, fill it with money, and light it on fire. That would be less of a hassle than managing Las Vegas rental property remotely.
Not everyone has the same experience.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Not everyone has the same experience.
Most will...eventually.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Wow, I have found that insurance, both house and auto are much cheaper here than in Calif.
You're the only one.

When I moved from the southern part of Ventura County (right on the edge of L.A. co), my car insurance jumped by 30%. That's a fairly common figure, on average, when the subject comes up.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're the only one.

When I moved from the southern part of Ventura County (right on the edge of L.A. co), my car insurance jumped by 30%. That's a fairly common figure, on average, when the subject comes up.
Mollie is not the only one. Mine went down moving to Vegas from L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas