Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,910,331 times

Advertisements

In summer San Diego is overrun with people from LV and PHX. Was years ago, but Arizona Republic did some kind of survey and they claimed during a particular August weekend 5% of the Phoenix area summertime residents were in San Diego County. I'm sure Vegas is no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
In summer San Diego is overrun with people from LV and PHX. Was years ago, but Arizona Republic did some kind of survey and they claimed during a particular August weekend 5% of the Phoenix area summertime residents were in San Diego County. I'm sure Vegas is no different.
Correct....when I used to live in Phoenix that was my retreat. It is a little too far away from here to do, especially considering that horrible traffic on that freeway I would have to take to get there from here.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:36 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,081,381 times
Can I have your life??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
In April, DW & I flew down to Miami to spend a week visiting my family and then we boarded a cruise ship for a two-week transatlantic voyage to Malaga, Spain. After the cruise, we spent 5 days there before taking the train to Madrid for 5 days. About 20 years ago we hosted a 15-yr-old exchange student from Madrid and we've kept in touch with her over the years. She's now a grown woman with two children of her own so we visited with her and her family in Madrid.

Last October, we flew to Barcelona, spent a few days there, and then took a 14-day cruise to New Orleans. After spending a few days in N.O., we flew home for a week before getting on a plane and flying to Rome. After spending some time there, we boarded another cruise ship for a 14-day transatlantic trip to Ft. Lauderdale, with intervening port stops for Pisa/Florence; Toulon, France; Barcelona & Cartegena, Spain; and a final port stop in Punta Delgado in the Azores before sailing across the Atlantic. We then spent some time in Miami visiting my family before returning home. We actually spent a total of 75 days on cruises last year, including an eastbound transatlantic cruise in May from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome, and a 30-day cruise around South America from Los Angeles around Cape Horn to Brazil, followed by a week in Rio. On the cruise to South America, we visited Costa Rica, Peru, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile, before ending in Brazil.

In between cruises we've thoroughly enjoyed living in Las Vegas. In fact, its almost like being on a permanent vacation! The only downside so far is that now we have a long transcontinental flight to the east coast in addition to a transatlantic flight when we travel to Europe. Alternatively, it will become an advantage next year when we start traveling westbound to Asia and Australia/NZ.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:03 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,353,941 times
I have mostly taken car trips. I visit Orange County, CA, San Diego and Phoenix. I once took a drive to Yellowstone National Park (that's about 13 hours). Have also visited national parks in the area (Zion, Sequoia, Grand Canyon, Death Valley).

Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,910,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Correct....when I used to live in Phoenix that was my retreat. It is a little too far away from here to do, especially considering that horrible traffic on that freeway I would have to take to get there from here.
I dont get it, LV is an hour shorter drive than Phoenix. I never had a problem with it going Friday nights or driving back to LV on a Sunday, but sure was crappy on the other side of the road.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,576,319 times
I'd definitely recommend going to Zion as a vacation. Easily one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 PM

280 posts, read 573,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Yep you can visit Virginia City and the Ponderosa ranch from Bonanza.... Tahoe is beautiful.. But I am not a real woodsy/mountain type person.. My wife on the otehr hand loves it....
Unfortunately the Ponderosa Ranch was closed in 2004. There has been talks of trying to reopen it, but nothing finalized or planned.

I've been there a few times, they actually had a pretty decent chuck wagon BBQ lunch.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,051,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westiejeff View Post
can i have your life??
lol

Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,832,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
lol
Actually it is amazing how views of such things vary.

I will not set foot on a cruise that goes past the fourth day. I simply consider them opportunities to overeat and over drink and over vegetate. I also consider them pretty dull and generally filled with people who want to experience without risk...

Now if one wishes to sail a small boat on the same route...I am your guy. I can navigate it and fix it and live for dark seas blowing 50. Just nothing gets you closer to yourself or who you are than a big sea and a small boat and not much else around.

And when you hit an interesting place...6 hours? Screw that. Even the tiny Bahia de Tortugas can entertain one for days and it is all human stuff.

How to get 500 liters of fuel on board with no dock? How to get safe water? How to make a set of calls to the states when there are two phones...one in the pharmacy and one in the restaurant.

What do you do when the guy in the 1968 boat next doors is rapidly dying of a heart condition and you are in Bahia Magdelina? And what do you do with his boat that has 400 or 500 gallons of gasoline on the deck and poorly secured. Ohh and by the way...you sure that whale is just rubbing against you and is not pissed off?

Even my DW, who has heavy hedonist tendencies, realizes the difference. She won't crew the sail but as soon as it ends in at a reasonable dock she is there for the exploration.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 PM

23,270 posts, read 29,133,463 times
I prefer going South and way South and way-way South. I've made 12 trips to Central & South America the past 10 years, but the economy has greatly restricted my foreign travels. But once my house is paid off in August, I'm looking at a trip to a country I missed, Colombia, a week in Medellin/Cali region.

For me, no vacation is a vacation unless I exit the borders of this country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas