Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Californians don't say "SoCal" either - that is another out of state expression that grates on our nerves.
I lived the first 36 years of my life in/around Los Angeles and I have to disagree. I don't use it much while speaking, but it's a nice shortcut when typing. Regardless, I know plenty of Californians that use it, although it's a relatively recent thing.

Quote:
San Diego is considered it's own area - it may be in southern California - but usually someone who uses the term "southern California" is referring to the LA Basin, Orange County, Ventura County, Santa Barbara County, and the parts of Riverside and San Bernardino Counties that aren't desert.
Again, I have to disagree. I've never heard of anyone that set San Diego apart from the rest of Southern California. SoCal () itself is broken up into different geographical areas (basin, valley, inland empire, OC, San Diego, high desert, etc.), but "Southern California" is just that. The southern part of California. It's generally been split at/around the line that separates Kern County from Kings/Tulare Counties, and San Bernardino County from Inyo County.

Quote:
A local would call those places by name and most certainly would specify San Diego as such - and not lump it in with "southern California".
How much do you wanna bet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 06:56 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,726 times
It's "The 15"

Old 10-16-2012, 07:06 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,726 times
Have you noticed "The 405" aka "The San Diego Freeway" isn't in San Diego?

U.S. 395 is referred to as "The 395" or just "395".

I was born in Whittier, spent twenty years in Arcadia and nineteen in Carlsbad. San Diegans consider the entire county distinct from the rest of Southern California- but would include it as a general frame of reference if, say, traveling abroad. When outside the county, residents of the county will typically refer to their home as being in San Diego. In my experience, just about anyone else from Southern California in the same situation would name the particular city where they live. Such as Pasadena, Santa Monica, Irvine, etc.

"I-5" or "Interstate 5

"PCH" or "Coast Highway"

"The Strip". Not Las Vegas Boulevard.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I lived the first 36 years of my life in/around Los Angeles and I have to disagree. I don't use it much while speaking, but it's a nice shortcut when typing. Regardless, I know plenty of Californians that use it, although it's a relatively recent thing.

Again, I have to disagree. I've never heard of anyone that set San Diego apart from the rest of Southern California. SoCal () itself is broken up into different geographical areas (basin, valley, inland empire, OC, San Diego, high desert, etc.), but "Southern California" is just that. The southern part of California. It's generally been split at/around the line that separates Kern County from Kings/Tulare Counties, and San Bernardino County from Inyo County.

How much do you wanna bet?
Actually there is no place more SoCal than San Diego. It is the epitome of the term.

I find it amazing that anyone would think otherwise.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 AM

155 posts, read 347,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
Have you noticed "The 405" aka "The San Diego Freeway" isn't in San Diego?
When driving the Sepulveda pass, I refer to it as The San Diego Parking Lot.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 AM

390 posts, read 755,763 times
Lived in "the oc" for 36 years...now we refer to it (California in general) as "Cally". Glad to have moved out! Travel on ANY freeway...'the 15" the 405, the 91 was bad that we had to get out. One year we left HB (Huntington Beach) for Thanksgiving dinner at friends in Riverside (about 40 miles), after 3 hours in bumper to bumper, we turned around since we KNEW it would be worst on the return trip!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoliver View Post
Lived in "the oc" for 36 years...now we refer to it (California in general) as "Cally". Glad to have moved out! Travel on ANY freeway...'the 15" the 405, the 91 was bad that we had to get out. One year we left HB (Huntington Beach) for Thanksgiving dinner at friends in Riverside (about 40 miles), after 3 hours in bumper to bumper, we turned around since we KNEW it would be worst on the return trip!
I don't understand why Californians simply don't choose to take the surface roads. If it takes three hours to travel 40 miles, why not just avoid the highways?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
The one that drives me nuts is locals talking about "I-95". The highway here is US 95. Some people automatically tack an "I" onto any highway number, even though this only applies to highways on the Interstate Highway System. The real I-95 runs from Miami to the Canadian border in Maine. Also, they don't do it as much as they used to, but local traffic reporters used to talk about 95 "eastbound" and "westbound". US 95 is a north-south highway, and only runs east-west for a short stretch.

Odd numbered interstates run North & South while Even numbered ones run East & West....

Old 10-17-2012, 11:16 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I don't understand why Californians simply don't choose to take the surface roads. If it takes three hours to travel 40 miles, why not just avoid the highways?
Becasue the surface roads are just as crowded and do not always follow the same way the freeway goes..So in essence it could take you as long or even longer to get some place...

Although on the side streets you CAN always stop and shop or eat or whatever else...

Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Because the surface roads are not a nice easy grid like they are here.

The 91 is always a nightmare especially on weekends and holidays. Try getting to the beach on three day weekend when all the 909ers are heading down. The surface streets, are even slower. The only way it was tolerable during rush hour was to ride a motorcycle. With lane splitting traffic doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas