Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Correct: Las Vegas

Incorrect: Vegas

Las Vegans chafe about "Vegas" the way San Franciscans chafe about "Frisco."
Really? I've been here 30 years and I don't know a single person who gets annoyed at "Vegas"

"Frisco" is annoying, as is "Cali". I've never lived in that state, but it irritates me anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
50 years and VEGAS never bothered me......long as the suckers came.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
I don't care what they call it either, but when my mom lived in San Francisco that was a biggie when people called it "Frisco". I remember they called it, "the City".

Old 10-19-2012, 01:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Really? I've been here 30 years and I don't know a single person who gets annoyed at "Vegas"

"Frisco" is annoying, as is "Cali". I've never lived in that state, but it irritates me anyway.
Most of the old-timers I know dislike "Vegas."

Although, when you think about it, that brings this thread full-circle. We're now debating whether Las Vegas is properly called "Meadows" or "The Meadows."

Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,063 times
Quote:
Correct: Las Vegas

Incorrect: Vegas

Las Vegans chafe about "Vegas" the way San Franciscans chafe about "Frisco."
If this were really the case than why doesn't the ad campaign say "What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas"? Or why is the TV show called "Vegas" instead of "Las Vegas" (Meaning both the show of today as well as the 80's show of the same name?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:01 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
If this were really the case than why doesn't the ad campaign say "What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas"? Or why is the TV show called "Vegas" instead of "Las Vegas" (Meaning both the show of today as well as the 80's show of the same name?
Because the ad was written by an ad agency in New York and the shows were written in California.

I think Dynimage hit it when he said he didn't really care as long as the suckers kept coming. But I have a feeling that he (and most other long-time residents) prefer it when the suckers also get our name right. I have seen people corrected about how to say Nevada, as well.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:24 PM

131 posts, read 210,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
And so what? I'm not from California and "the 15" just sounds better to me.

Is there a correct and incorrect way to say Las Vegas?
Ditto. Born and raised in VT, we have two interstates (not freeways), I-89 & I-91. I never said "take the 89 to Montpelier" I either said "take 89" or "take the interstate". One would think that was because we only had two in the entire state and they were very distinct.

I move out here last year and all of a sudden I'm saying "take the 15" or "the 515" But I don't say take "the 95", I just say "take 95 North" It's just the way I say it and I'm not from California. I'm wicked cool from Back East I'm also saying "freeway" now...I think it always sounded to me like it was faster than the interstate

I'm sure the purists will always think there IS a correct and incorrect way to say "Las Vegas"...it IS the official name of our city. But saying "Vegas" is quicker in everyday conversation (yes, by a fraction of a second but isn't that what counts these days??) and most likely you're talking to someone who lives here so they know what you mean. Why is it "VegasTV" not "Las VegasTV"? Sometimes it just fits better. We KNOW it's LAS Vegas.

Funny, though, I caught myself correcting a Californian saying "Nevahda" last week (I was IN California and I don't know where this guy originally came from, but to me, Nevahda sounds pretentious.)

The quiz told me I was from the mid-central states...I think because I say "aboat" instead of "Abowt". I lived an hour away from Montreal and watched CTV a lot..picked up the Canadian accent and it stuck.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Because the ad was written by an ad agency in New York and the skhows were written in California.

I think Dynimage hit it when he said he didn't really care as long as the suckers kept coming. But I have a feeling that he (and most other long-time residents) prefer it when the suckers also get our name right. I have seen people corrected about how to say Nevada, as well.
NEVADA is a big deal......pronounce it right or leave

ACTUALY the AD was written by R&R Advertising [Rossi Ralenkoter] a LONG time Las Vegas Firm.

Kepp Las Vegas GREEN....bring money ......

BUT I do prefer to call it LAS VEGAS.....

Old 10-19-2012, 05:35 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
50 years and VEGAS never bothered me......long as the suckers came.
I'm going to have to call you out life in 1955, you've made it know many times it's LAS VEGAS, not VEGAS.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:44 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The 405 through the pass has virtually no alternatives.

Depends on where you're starting/going, I guess, but I routinely took Sepulveda instead of the freeway when living near Venice and working on Ventura Blvd @ Sepulveda. There's also Beverly Glen, Laurel Canyon and Coldwater Canyon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas