Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I'm going to have to call you out life in 1955, you've made it know many times it's LAS VEGAS, not VEGAS.
LAS VEGAS is my preferance......if yer losin $$$ you can call it anything you want.....In CD....no ones gamblin .....so its LAS VEGAS....

Money talks BS walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 06:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Is there a correct and incorrect way to say Las Vegas?
Yes - it is incorrect to say "Vegas".

On the other hand, there is Vegas Drive - but that just means Meadows Drive - without the definite article.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
LAS VEGAS is my preferance......if yer losin $$$ you can call it anything you want.....In CD....no ones gamblin .....so its LAS VEGAS....

Money talks BS walks.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Here in Miami we have names for our expressways as well, but we don't use "the" when referring to them by their number designation.

We would say take the Palmetto to the Dolphin or take 836 to 826. We would never say take "the" 826 to "the" 836.

Similarly, for tourists arriving at the airport who want to go to the Fountainbleu on Miami Beach for example, we would tell them to take the Airport Expressway across the Julia Tuttle Causeway and then turn left on Collins Avenue. We might even say take 112 to 195 and then north on A1A. But again, no one would ever say take "the" 112 to "the" 195 and then turn on "the" A1A.
Hmmm - I have a map of the Miami metro area (though I have never been east of Salt Lake City) and I do want to visit your area soon. I have seen those monikers for the freeways - but usually internalize the numbers when reading the map - even though the "descriptive" names are also printed.

Los Angeles had those "wordy" names several years a go - but I think they quit being used about the time that I was born - 1976. I grew up learning to say "the 5" or the 710". But when i lived in Seattle for a while - I grew used to saying "I-5" or "SR-520".

Don't worry Las Vegans - if I do move to your fine metro area - I will adapt to the local custom and not mark myself as being from your "distant suburb".

And MadMano - I look forward to visting Miami soon - I really am intrigued by your city and metro area.

Thank you.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Not true at all. NorCal has been used in this thread by someone from Northern California.
I never mentioned someone from Northern California - and even though I want to buy property up there (or more likely southern Oregon or some rural parts of western Washington, and areas in the Las Vegas Valley) and even near Carson City(that is an awesome town). I was discussing the use of "SoCal" and "Cali" - and to my knowledge - no Californian - whether north or south likes those terms.

Maybe Northern Californians like "Norcal" and they promote that phrase because it us true that both northern California and southern California have a rivalry. I was under the impression that northern and southern Nevada also had a strong rivalry - and even in the Las Vegas Valley - I detected a divide between members of the same organization who had affiliates in downtown Las Vegas and Spring Valley.

For the record - I was more impressed by the Spring Valley affiliate - but I could have eaily said the same of the DTLV affiliate - had they been open.

But "SoCal" is almost universally despised among southern Californians.

We are Southern California. - spell it out.

Last edited by Harrier; 10-19-2012 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 08:59 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I used to live at MM88, Gulfside. That's how it works until you get to Key West. And there nobody cares about direction. The sunset is thataway...
I love Islamorada and always made it a point to stop by Green Parrot or Ziggie's Conch whenever I was in the area. (Although I'm sure you'll just tell me that they are/were overpriced tourist traps that you'd never set foot in.) I haven't been to the reincarnated Ziggie and Mad Dog's though, although I need to, if only to raise a glass in toast to #88. RIP.

BTW, what were you doing so far away from Key West. I thought you posted that you'd never even live as far away from Key West as Summerland?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
The Green Parrot is on Whitehead Street in Key West. I think you mean "The Green Turtle Inn." Remember... "The turtle rests on Monday."

As for what I was doing there, I was transferred there. I spent a few years up the Keys, didn't like it, and had myself transferred back. When you get down to it, activities are limited up the Keys. Drinking, fishing, diving and that's about it. Key West has the symphony orchestra and playhouses, and a much better live music scene. (Plus all the drinking, fishing and diving.)

Old 10-24-2012, 12:06 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,613,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I never mentioned someone from Northern California...

You said.."Californians generally can't stand ridiculous shortening of names". And generally speaking, I'd say that's not true.

People from Northern California are Californians, and they obviously have no problem with the shortening of names.

I have friends and family born and raised from San Diego up to Chico and after reading another thread about this subject a while back, I asked them if 'Cali' bothers them and they all said the same thing.."Why would that bother me, who cares?". Most of them use the word Cali.

And what's up with people who get their panties bunched up over the word Cali never saying a word when people shorten Los Angeles to L.A.?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
Locals will have to get used to the Las Vegas name change evolution. I have recently heard people refer LV(another nick name) as "Hangover City".

Other names I have used or heard are...

Sin City(old)
V(just the letter, I know, it's pure laziness)
The Valley
Vegas Valley
Vegas
Lost Wages
Entertainment Capital of the World
Marriage Capital
Second chance city

And like above...

LV
Hangover City

Sent from cell...

Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
And what's up with people who get their panties bunched up over the word Cali never saying a word when people shorten Los Angeles to L.A.?
Because it takes considerably less effort than saying "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncul?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas