Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM

207 posts, read 509,497 times
Also being from the Northeast we have found the same phenomenon.

My wife is quite fair skinned, and could not be out in the sun without covering up or risking a sunburn. Here in LV she can spend more time outside and we find she actually tans a bit instead of burning. I have no idea why this would be as the sun seems more intense here, but it is clear she would burn much easier back in the Northeast than here.

We discovered this a while back while here on a business trip. We spent a couple of hours out at one of the hotel pools. Having lost track of time we both thought, oh great we are really going to regret this tomorrow and we will be fried. For some reason it didn't happen, we were both fine and she tanned a little bit. Go figure. Interesting map from unforgiven - thanks for the link.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,858 times
Being one who has had 2nd degree sunburn twice in their life because I am very fair Irish skinned.. I have found this out about sunburns...

You will burn more under cloudy or partly cloudy conditions than you will in direct sunlight.... The reason for this is because the clouds diffuse the uv rays that come thru and let more fo the "bad" ones thru than the others..... So since you think it is not sunny you might tend to stay out more than in direct sunlight...

Kind of like when you have a campfire.. You put your hand directly over the fire and it gets hot quick and you move your hand away... BUT hold it off to the side of the fire near it and you don't fell the intense heat so you keep it there and pretty soon you notice your hand hurts and is rough and blistery like....

I have also found that the spray sunscreen that is clear seems to work better than the others no matter what SPF it is..... In other words a lower SPF in the clear spray seems to work better than a higher SPF in a cream or "white" spray....

Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
I have also been of the opinion that people in cooler climes tend to put more stock into having a tan then people in warmer climes. It could be that they are spending more time in the sun than we are and they lose track of how much time.

I was under the impression that SPF is more of how long a sunscreen will last before you need to reapply than how well it works.

SoCalCpl2 do you often burn your hands like that?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

SoCalCpl2 do you often burn your hands like that?
Yeah, he puts forks in toasters, and eats those packets that come in a new pair of shoes, too. (Just kidding )

I have to be careful with sunscreens. If I go much over an SPF 15 on my face, I tend to break out and I am getting way too old for zits.

I don't recall ever getting a sunburn here, but I do have some UV damage on my face because of a misspent youth trying to obtain a tan in tanning beds.

They say the incidental damage is what harms your skin the most. Driving in the car, walking around the golf course, etc. You don't get a sunburn from those activities generally, but the exposure adds up.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Just don't sunbathe at the Vdara pool and you should be ok.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Just don't sunbathe at the Vdara pool and you should be ok.
Ha Ha! Remember the big dustup about that illustration when Righthaven sued over it?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yeah, he puts forks in toasters, and eats those packets that come in a new pair of shoes, too. (Just kidding )

I have to be careful with sunscreens. If I go much over an SPF 15 on my face, I tend to break out and I am getting way too old for zits.

I don't recall ever getting a sunburn here, but I do have some UV damage on my face because of a misspent youth trying to obtain a tan in tanning beds.

They say the incidental damage is what harms your skin the most. Driving in the car, walking around the golf course, etc. You don't get a sunburn from those activities generally, but the exposure adds up.
Hey those packets in the new shoes are VERY nutritous..Not to mention good roughage...LOL

And you are correct about incidental damage..Which goes back to the campfire thing.. Direct heat you shy away from..But fall asleep or even get cozy near a fire and stay a while and then you move or wake up and can feel the heat and then next day the damage to the skin or hair....

And Buzz here is what the experts say about SPF factors -

The sun protection factor of a sunscreen is a laboratory measure of the effectiveness of sunscreen — the higher the SPF, the more protection a sunscreen offers against UV-B (the ultraviolet radiation that causes sunburn).
The SPF is the amount of UV radiation required to cause sunburn on skin with the sunscreen on, as a multiple of the amount required without the sunscreen. There is a popular oversimplification of how SPF determines how long one can stay in the sun. For example, many users believe that, if they normally get sunburn in one hour, then an SPF 15 sunscreen allows them to stay in the sun fifteen hours (i.e. fifteen times longer) without getting sunburn. This would be true if the intensity of UV radiation were the same for the whole fifteen hours as in the one hour, but this is not normally the case. Intensity of solar radiation varies considerably with time of day. During early morning and late afternoon, the sun's radiation intensity is highly diminished since it must pass through more of the Earth's atmosphere while it is near the horizon.
In practice, the protection from a particular sunscreen depends, besides on SPF, on factors such as:
  • The skin type of the user.
  • The amount applied and frequency of re-application.
  • Activities in which one engages (for example, swimming leads to a loss of sunscreen from the skin).
  • Amount of sunscreen the skin has absorbed.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:51 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
If I stay in the sun too long, no matter where I've lived, I burn. I am very fair skinned. If you are going to use sunscreen, wait to apply it after you have been in the sun for 15 minutes. That way you get the natural Vitamin D from the sun that is beneficial to you before you slather on a bunch of chemicals that are not good for you. A better bet would be SPF clothing and sunglasses. If you have to use sunscreen, buy a natural one like from Origins or another natural type company.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Being one who has had 2nd degree sunburn twice in their life because I am very fair Irish skinned.. I have found this out about sunburns...

You will burn more under cloudy or partly cloudy conditions than you will in direct sunlight.... The reason for this is because the clouds diffuse the uv rays that come thru and let more fo the "bad" ones thru than the others..... So since you think it is not sunny you might tend to stay out more than in direct sunlight...

Kind of like when you have a campfire.. You put your hand directly over the fire and it gets hot quick and you move your hand away... BUT hold it off to the side of the fire near it and you don't fell the intense heat so you keep it there and pretty soon you notice your hand hurts and is rough and blistery like....

I have also found that the spray sunscreen that is clear seems to work better than the others no matter what SPF it is..... In other words a lower SPF in the clear spray seems to work better than a higher SPF in a cream or "white" spray....
Spray sunscreen is one of the best things ever invented! It's so fast and easy to apply and applies much more evenly than a lotion type. I go through at least a few cans of that in the summer, easy.

And, yes, you can burn more easily when there are any clouds. Maybe that is mart of the non-burning thing? In LV there are much fewer clouds due to lack of humidity than there are in a place like I live.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM

156 posts, read 403,652 times
Speaking as a redhead who grew up in in Vegas ..............Get a couple of good sun hats and always wear sunscreen. Vegas is at a relatively high elevation with no cloud cover..... if you are fair skinned you will burn quickly.

Also, find a good moisturizer, and apply liberally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas