Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 AM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 482,746 times

Advertisements

What I fear is that voters will institute a state corporate income tax which would have a huge negative impact on both small and large companies staying or relocating here. I hope voters realize that a corporate income tax will have just as much, if not more, of a negative impact on economic growth than a personal income tax. We already have a very high payroll tax. I hope voters and the legislature realize this.

We are a state that has endured and thrived thanks to our low/non-existent tax system. We will never be a New York, Connecticut, or Vermont. Let's keep taxes low, repeal laws and taxes, and continue to be the wild west. We don't need good public social services, let's keep taxes low so we have churches and non-profits provide help to the needy. Let's keep property taxes low so people can choose to send their children to charter or private schools, utilizing the money saved in property taxes not paid to the government to pay for a school of their choosing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
What part of the payroll tax is so high? Majority of payroll taxes are federal and are fixed.

I hate to break it to you, but I feel the general attitude of population is moving away from the "wild west" no tax attitude. Speaking to my friends, colleagues, etc. they want more services, better schools, etc. and are willing to pay for it. I can't say I agree or disagree, but that's what I've noticed from my peer group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaned View Post
We already have a very high payroll tax. I hope voters and the legislature realize this.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Then they should move (back) to Cali. They shouldn't be trying to turn NV into Cali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
What part of the payroll tax is so high? Majority of payroll taxes are federal and are fixed.

I hate to break it to you, but I feel the general attitude of population is moving away from the "wild west" no tax attitude. Speaking to my friends, colleagues, etc. they want more services, better schools, etc. and are willing to pay for it. I can't say I agree or disagree, but that's what I've noticed from my peer group.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Then they should move (back) to Cali. They shouldn't be trying to turn NV into Cali.
You ain't moved here yet from NYC and you are already a hard core Nevada libertarian? Naw...does not compute.

We have been sitting on this superb business environment for 50 years now. What has it gotten us? We still make our nut from the Strip. If we ever want a shot at growing strongly we need schools and a University.

Nevada, at least Clark County, is considered heavy union territory. It is never going to attract businesses wanting to exploit labor. They all go to AZ or Utah or even New Mexico.

So I would think that increasing taxes a bit could very well attract the Tony Hsiehs et al. We don't need to go to California's level...just something a little more rational.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,385 times
I work PT in a clothing store...its mind boggling just how many Canadians live here. They come in and spend hundreds on a couple items of clothing and don't bat an eye at the prices. So they are a huge addition to the "net gain" I have also met LOTS of young people who don't know the difference between the economy in Nevada and the economy in Minnesota. They want to come to Vegas and do little research before hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas