Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
A weak argument made by weak people. I have every right to travel freely.

I never said I don't move out of the way if safety is an issue. I made it clear that I never hit them. My issue is with this law. Perhaps if they stopped using traffic law and our roads as fundraisers, less cops would be in danger.
[off topic]
You have every right to travel freely - just not in an automobile. Possessing a license is contingent on obeying the rules and regulation associated with driving an automobile.

You really believe that a drivers license is a right and not a privilege?

So, you should be able to speed through school zones as well right? It's not as if you're going to hit any children?
[orphaned]

I have no doubt you do use caution and don't hit them. With millions of people operating vehicles you can't assume all are as cautious or as competent as we are.

Last edited by observer53; 02-15-2014 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I don't understand what the big deal is about moving over. Really it comes down to common courtesy. They shouldn't have to enforce this law and attach a big fine to get people to drive with courtesy and common sense. If this law is making money, its only due to inconsiderate drivers. I don't have a problem with this law as long as they realize that sometimes in heavy traffic one can not immediately move over.

In all states much of a troopers job is writing tickets. I agree its more about revenue than safety. When a trooper chases someone going 10 over and has to go 25 over to catch up to the guy and without emergency equipment on, he is more the safety issue than the 10 over speeder. I do have a problem with that.
Most --and I will definitely not say ALL-- troopers are dedicated to traffic safety and keeping everybody safe. They don't directly get a commission off of every ticket they write so it's not as much a money issue with them personally as it is just doing their job ...which most will agree is about keeping the motoring public safe.

This whole thing about "how dare they tell me that I have to move over one lane or slow down when something is happening on the shoulder" is empty logic. I can tell you first hand that it is downright scary standing on the shoulder of a freeway watching traffic streak by at 70 MPH just feet away. We've all watched those videos where troopers are hit or their cars struck while on the shoulder. How else are they really going to get the public to give them a little breathing room than to deliberately set up such a sting? --if you want to call it that. They have to get it into the public's head that they NEED that extra space while working on the shoulder of a freeway.

Not all drivers have the same competence and there are always those who are distracted (texting, changing radio stations, talking to passengers in the car, etc., etc.) or could be under the influence of something. Not that moving over one lane will prevent these drivers from still hitting something on the shoulder but to get everybody aware that this is a real issue for LEOs who fear for their lives and the safety for not only themselves but the people they have pulled over, is worth doing what it takes to really hammer into the public that this is in fact a real issue to the troopers individually. I doubt that the higher ups are developing this strategy just to make more revenue as there are other ways to bring in money or write citations than what this is all about.

A couple of months ago, I was on 95 up near Fallon on a two-lane road and a trooper had somebody pulled over on the shoulder. The guy in front of me hardly slowed down and stayed right in the lane. I could see the trooper look quickly over his shoulder at the guy go by. As I approached, I slowed way down, put on my 4-ways, and almost got entirely over in the oncoming lane of traffic. The trooper looked up and gave me a wave. I felt good that I was doing my part in making him feel safer.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
You have every right to travel freely - just not in an automobile. Possessing a license is contingent on obeying the rules and regulation associated with driving an automobile.

You really believe that a drivers license is a right and not a privilege?

So, you should be able to speed through school zones as well right? It's not as if you're going to hit any children?

[orphaned]

I have no doubt you do use caution and don't hit them. With millions of people operating vehicles you can't assume all are as cautious or as competent as we are.
SO what you're saying is that not everyone is cautious or careful, which I agree with! These people shouldn't have licenses. Since I do have one, and I am careful, I have a right to travel freely. No, you shouldn't speed through a school zone, as it is unsafe, but you shouldn't have to drive 15 mph when no children are in sight.

There is a line between safety and arbitrary law (or fundraising laws), and legislators cross that line constantly. That's the point I wanted to make.
[off topic, orphaned]

Last edited by observer53; 02-15-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,496 times
I understand why this law was enacted & fully support the safety of officers & stranded motorists. But PLEASE, let people know!!!! I watched the news most nights & never heard about this law except from a friend that was pulled over today. Most people don't follow the things passed into law & rely on hearing it from the media, websites, friends, etc. The government spends money on ads about DUI, seat belt law, cell phone law; no ads about new DMV fines & this move over law.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
This is a much needed law, which should be enforced, as many drivers refuse to yield to common sense and courtesy while driving on the public roads.

In California, motorists have been notified/warned of this law for quite sometime. Yet, I seldom see drivers practice either slowing down or making a lane chage, as they approach construction crews, LE vehicles, service vehicles, etc.

Liken to many laws, some people consider themselves exempt for whatever reason(s). Unfortunately, their actions have a potential for severe consequences for the rest of us.

I am still quite surprised by the number of drivers whom I see toying with their cell phones while driving.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:48 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
I've noticed it most in younger drivers, the very ones who should be more cautious, since their level of skill in driving is not the same as someone who has been driving for 20 or 30 years!

But, then again, this generation feels entitled and impervious to consequence.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:10 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
We have the same law in AZ, there's been a lot of publicity about it, on the roads and in the media. We've had MANY DPS officers killed while on the roadside over the years. This is a much needed safety law everywhere.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:03 PM

15 posts, read 27,457 times
The same law exists in the KC area as well (I believe on both sides of the state line). Last year a young tow truck driver was killed on the MO side while trying to help a motorist. I guess I just view it as common courtesy, no matter who is on the side of the road - average joe with car trouble, cop, highway worker...

Old 02-15-2014, 09:12 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times
[orphaned]. My point stands. Exercise caution, but why can't I use a lane if it isn't being obstructed?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
[orphaned]. My point stands. Exercise caution, but why can't I use a lane if it isn't being obstructed?

For the safety of those stopped in the adjoining shoulder/lane. Get off the "I have a right" to do "X" in this discussion, as that's actually not true in the context of driving, as others have stated. Like others, I don't see what all the fuss is about requiring people to move over. It's not that different from other road safety laws that have been on the books for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: