Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:25 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtam View Post
Maybe you should ask ZOLTAR
He watches this forum

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenx View Post
I do not need a larger house that badly. I want to buy a larger house solely to take advantage of rates and prices, which seems to have gone out of bound sharply.

I also see that local economy has not improved that much for the re market to pick up this much steam in short time. Plus thousands of homes are still up in foreclosure and banks are hiding them from the market. It looks phony to me!

On top of all this what I hate in today's market is
1. Sellers attitude- rejecting my offers and asking me to waive appraisals on a 325k house all together.
2. Sellers asking me to cover their closing when I already cover mine.
3. The attitude of sellers who ask for 10k more than their asking even when they have only my offer and no one else.. In the 325k price range
4. Sellers asking for $130/sqft in mountains edge or $145/sqft at south summerlin which is ridiculous!
5.sellers not even showing homes, but offering to show oly if our offer is accepted!
6. Flippers having an attitude and being so adamant...though their home is sitting for 60+days..

This looks like a phony price increase... Do others also think that way or its only me?
I think you are just angry, and understandably so with what you are experiencing. It is maddening when the pendulum swings too far to one side or the other. It was maddening for sellers three years ago, and now the pendulum has swung back to the other side. What gives everyone less grey hairs (including the realtors) is when things are just stable and it isn't a buyers market or a sellers market. IT IS JUST RIGHT. Just like in the Goldie Locks story.

You are forgetting one thing however. You have a house to sell, and you will undoubtedly seek to get more for it than it will appraise for if it is in a decent enough area. Most likely you will get more for your house than it is worth (according to appraisers) and then you will need to pay more on the house you want to swap for. Your problem, to me, is more a cash problem then a value problem. You didn't say, but I assume you were selling your current house, but maybe that is not the case.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
If houses are being priced above what the appraised value is, shouln't that tell you something about buying in this market?

Buy fear and sell greed- Warren Buffet

Old 07-25-2013, 09:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
For the houses we put offers on, appraised value is still less than replacement cost. The market is almost back to "normal" -- whatever the hell THAT means. When houses start appraising for significantly more than replacement cost (plus land), then I'll start worrying about a "bubble."

Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
For [censor]ed's sake, give it a rest, Trader Vic.
Is this our guy? Kinda looks like it.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
I was at a bar, and the woman next to me was a realtor. She said "now is a great time to buy."

Old 07-26-2013, 02:55 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I was at a bar, and the woman next to me was a realtor. She said "now is a great time to buy."
World War III could happen...
We could suffer a nuclear winter...
The greenhouse effect could go parabolic causing 90% of the world's population to die of famine...

..and there will STILL be a realtor somewhere advising that it is still a good time to buy.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" -Upton Sinclair

Old 07-26-2013, 03:06 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,867 times
Everyone keeps saying "home replacement value" is the benchmark for overpriced housing, what is the current home "replacement value" in Las Vegas?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
Everyone keeps saying "home replacement value" is the benchmark for overpriced housing, what is the current home "replacement value" in Las Vegas?
You could get a pretty good estimate here.

Building-Cost.net -- free residential building cost calculator

Is the Home Replacement Cost and what the insurance companies quote to replace a house(hurricane, fire) the same?

edit...

I just found this link. It answered my questions.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,867 times
Thanks for the link Von! Now I understand why my home insurance is so highly insured. According to the calculator, my home has a replacement value of $238,000 excluding the contractor markup. My insurance replacement value thru Travelers Insurance is $242,000 which is very accurate. I am surprised! To get replacement cost in my community, prices would have to appreciate to 2006 levels at $260,000+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas