Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
If I murder someone, should it matter if they're on their death bed or a newborn? Absolutely not. I murdered them, I should take the FULL wrap. I should not get a reduced sentence because grandpa was days from death anyway.
That makes no sense in relation to why an insurance company is not going to pay you too much for your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Well, it is not my fault THEIR CUSTOMER crashed into my car.
THEY did something wrong, I should not have to pay for it.
So sue them.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:37 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
I took from the newborn an entire life, from the old man I took a mere days. The point is, the value of the asset (life or my xterra) should not matter, the person liable should pay THE FULL consequence. In the case of the murder, a predetermined prison sentence. In the case of my xterra, the full amount owed and paid.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I took from the newborn an entire life, from the old man I took a mere days. The point is, the value of the asset (life or my xterra) should not matter, the person liable should pay THE FULL consequence. In the case of the murder, a predetermined prison sentence. In the case of my xterra, the full amount owed and paid.
Whelp, it doesn't work that way. Your recourse, if you don't get what you feel is fair from them, is to sue them and hope you get more.

I rolled a bunch of negative equity into my current loan, and bought GAP insurance. I financed something like $16K for a $12K vehicle. I would not expect anyone to pay for that difference, as I made the conscious choice to do it. You're not quite understanding that, although it is their fault they collided with you, it is not their fault that you chose to finance more than the car was worth, and chose not to insure that difference.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 PM

I believe it ought to be their responsibility as THEY have effected a change in MY situation.

My signature on my loan assumes I'd still have the vehicle, with acceptable levels of depreciation, wear, and mileage at the end of said loan. My signature would not exist on said loan had I the knowledge that some poor driver would cause a collision wherein my vehicle was destroyed.

Depreciation, interest, finance fees, wear, and mileage are acceptable terms to me. Getting totaled is NOT acceptable.
Arbitrary value in some random book, does not reflect actual worth in any reality.
If the blue book says your car is worth 10,000 would you refuse an offer of 11,000?
If the blue book says your car is worth 10,000 but no one offers you more than 9,000 is it really worth 10,000?
It's arbitrary nonsense.
I took out a loan I thought was acceptable, this other person took an action that was unacceptable and took away all value of the car. That person, and her government mandated insurance, should cover 100% of my loss. Hell, I'd be cool if they deducted 2 weeks worth of depreciation, minus the 3/4 tank of gas left in it.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I believe it ought to be their responsibility as THEY have effected a change in MY situation.

My signature on my loan assumes I'd still have the vehicle, with acceptable levels of depreciation, wear, and mileage at the end of said loan. My signature would not exist on said loan had I the knowledge that some poor driver would cause a collision wherein my vehicle was destroyed.

Depreciation, interest, finance fees, wear, and mileage are acceptable terms to me. Getting totaled is NOT acceptable.
Arbitrary value in some random book, does not reflect actual worth in any reality.
If the blue book says your car is worth 10,000 would you refuse an offer of 11,000?
If the blue book says your car is worth 10,000 but no one offers you more than 9,000 is it really worth 10,000?
It's arbitrary nonsense.
I took out a loan I thought was acceptable, this other person took an action that was unacceptable and took away all value of the car. That person, and her government mandated insurance, should cover 100% of my loss. Hell, I'd be cool if they deducted 2 weeks worth of depreciation, minus the 3/4 tank of gas left in it.
Again, that's not reality, which is why you can opt for a lawyer and pursue damages.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:21 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,003 times
Quote:
Which is complete and total BS. THEIR customer hit MY car. They should pay 100% of it. I paid 1500 dollars to drive a car for 2 weeks. I could have rented a high end sports car for that. I owe 8,000 on it. At the very least, they insurance should pay 8,000. But really, I should be getting 1500 on top of that with which to get another vehicle.
This type of f&*kery is just one of the many many reasons I hate this country, humans, and existence.
I worked my butt off to get myself set up with a decent car and a place to live, and some moron's bad driving took away my car.
Do not finance cars from now on. You should have bought a car cash for the $1,500 you put down. When I said I have done very well on car accidents, they were all cars I owned outright.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:29 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,003 times
I would like to give an example why buying a car outright is so much better. Here is a personal example. I bought a 1993 Mercury Cougar for $2,000. This was around 2002 or so. A few months later, a person rear ended me. The damage was minor, but the insurance paid $3,300 to fix the car. I kept the money and drove it as is. I later sold it for $1,800. I got $5,100 for a car that I only paid $2,000 for it.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:00 PM

Trust me, I wanted to buy a car outright. I can not tell you how many people I called about a car within my price range (I even went above my price range) only to have them not respond, not get back to me, or tell me it's already sold. I quickly ran out of cars I wanted, then cars I'd be ok with, and moved on to cars I know I'd hate. I really did not want to be making payments, but I don't have 10 grand sitting around.

However, how the hell do we allow victims to get screwed over so much in this country?
Who cares if I am paying the same finance charges and interest and depreciation every other person with a car loan is paying. There are millions of financed cars on the roads. I dare say the great majority of cars are financed. How are we allowing people we elect to represent us, mandate a service which is grossly inadequate? How is it right that someone else makes a mistake that I have to pay for?
Yeah, no one made me take out a loan that is over the cost of the vehicle, despite the fact that 99% of loans exceed the value of the vehicle, but no one made that girl decide to drive like an idiot and cause a crash.
How does my action supersede hers? She caused an accident, the state mandates she have insurance specifically for this reason, how the hell is it right that I should have to pay for anything?
It's not, but unfortunately, I live in a country filled with illogical, selfish people.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I would like to give an example why buying a car outright is so much better. Here is a personal example. I bought a 1993 Mercury Cougar for $2,000. This was around 2002 or so. A few months later, a person rear ended me. The damage was minor, but the insurance paid $3,300 to fix the car. I kept the money and drove it as is. I later sold it for $1,800. I got $5,100 for a car that I only paid $2,000 for it.
That was 2002. Finding a reliable $2k vehicle is a lot more difficult today. Cash for Clunkers got rid of a lot of decent vehicles in that price range.

I have sold three cars on craigslist this year in that range $1500-2500. They all sold pretty quick.(especially since its income tax season)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: