Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:24 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times

Advertisements

2 miles from my house, in a car I JUST got...

We're all ok, my whole family was with me, but I am so screwed now.
I had enough money put back to cushion me when work is slow (will be slow in the next 2 weeks)
I had enough to get a car my whole family could fit into. Now, I'm back to either having a decent car, or enough money to pay bills.

I was doing 5 under the speed limit, coming home down Vegas Valley. She made a left turn right in front of me. Had she now slammed the brakes, I would have missed her by an inch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 11:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,489 times
Why are you screwed? The other driver's insurance should make you whole again.

Good to hear you are okay.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:55 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
2 miles from my house, in a car I JUST got...

We're all ok, my whole family was with me, but I am so screwed now.
I had enough money put back to cushion me when work is slow (will be slow in the next 2 weeks)
I had enough to get a car my whole family could fit into. Now, I'm back to either having a decent car, or enough money to pay bills.

I was doing 5 under the speed limit, coming home down Vegas Valley. She made a left turn right in front of me. Had she now slammed the brakes, I would have missed her by an inch.
Failed to yield to oncoming traffic. Totally her fault and you should make out just fine. I do not understand why you say you are so screwed? In my experience, insurance companies have paid out MORE than my cars were worth.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:58 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times
Well, see, luck doesn't work for me the way it does for others. The last time I was hit, an illegal immigrant with no insurance ran a sign. He got deported, I got the bill, despite it being his fault.

I am assuming that her insurance will pay it off, however, I highly doubt they'll give me extra to get into a different car.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Sorry to hear that.

I have been similarly screwed by insurance companies when their client was the one totally at fault. The system is awful. If it isn't your fault, you should get at least as good a car as was taken from you because of the accident. But it doesn't work out that way. This is where "you're in good hands, like a good neighbor, 15 minutes can save you" falls apart and becomes "sucks to be you." There should be a car accident victims' bill of rights. "OK, so you just bought the car and you owe more on it than Blue Book. Well, tough excrement, because we pay Blue Book, even though our client was totally at fault and received a citation."

Yeah, I've been through that wringer a couple times.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:28 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,950,670 times
I hear people complain about Vegas drivers, but I've seen just as bad in L.A. if not worse.

Just be glad you don't live in South Carolina. This was just posted today. It's a string of events recorded by 1 guy with his dash cam over just 3 years:

This Supercut Of South Carolina's Stupidest, Angriest Drivers Is Amazing

Old 03-14-2015, 08:23 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,044,216 times
Get the police report number turned in to your insurance company (I assume NV cops give you a report number and tell you to call after a week or something similar). A good company's claims processors will track down the control number and get the details of the report without troubling you to get it. I hope you have a good company, as claim service is often an afterthought on the fly-by-night cheapies. Also, your company does not want to pay you, so they will mix it up with the at-fault driver's company to get you paid. Insurance companies are all about making someone else pay.

If anyone in your vehicle suffered any injury from impact....even complaint of soreness...get them to a doctor. Too often, people shake off a little discomfort or a slight abrasion. This is not about trying to get personal injury money, but impact injuries may not present pain or visible damage for a few days, and if untreated, the victim could develop chronic pain or debilitating loss of use or mobility. Especially dangerous to kids as they are growing 24/7.

With that said, if there are any injuries, report this information to your insurance company and consider a consultation with a personal injury lawyer. Even if you all walked away from the accident and everyone said "we are okay" you could be hurt. I do not endorse or advocate the overblown tort and personal injury business, but you need to rule out injury to you and your passengers before leaving this as a simple vehicle damage claim. Health is priceless--don't take a chance on it.

FWIW, I am not a lawyer, never filed a personal injury lawsuit, never received an injury settlement or judgment....but I have connections to folks (not one of them a lawyer) who see hundreds of cases annually and prepare expert testimony in multi-million dollar cases.

Glad you and yours are okay. This stuff is very stressful and the process can be a pain. Judge your insurance company rigorously in this process. If you do not have a dedicated claim processor, someone telling you where to take the vehicle or the steps for estimates and quickly responding to your questions, then fire them. Nothing worse than an outfit that cashes premium checks for years and puts you on hold when you need them.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:44 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,673 times
It's good to hear you and your family are O.K. That's what matters most.

Bill

Old 03-14-2015, 11:03 AM

140 posts, read 277,755 times
Glad to hear all of you are okay, EA. That looks like a terrible accident.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:13 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
That's terrible! I hope it turns out OK and you are able to get another car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: