Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:17 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend are in our early 30s. I'm a 34 year old white male.

We are both from the Los Angeles, CA area. My girlfriend has some great friends of hers who live near Green Valley Ranch in Henderson.

I currently live with my parents and my girlfriend also lives with her parents as well. Both of us want to move in together but in California we can't afford the high apartment rental prices. In the San Fernando Valley one bedroom apartments are renting out for $2200 a month for a safe area.

My girlfriend and I are considering moving to Henderson Green Valley Ranch or Sumerlin.

Personally Id rather me and my girlfriend move to Seattle or Portland over Las Vegas.

Las Vegas seems like a suburban city that is spread out with shopping malls and supermarket strip centers. It seems the the Strip is mainly for tourists and locals don't go there.

Whats attracting me and my girlfriend to las vegas is affordable apartment rental prices.

What is the Las Vegas job market like?

Currently I'm going to trade school at night for computer tech. Back in 2004 I got a BA in radio-tv-film. My girlfriend works with adults with disabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 07:21 PM

My concern is that Las Vegas doesn't have any museaums or culture or history like San Francisco or Seattle does.

I'm not into gambling or drinking or night clubs or bars. My girlfriend doesn't like gambling,bars, drinking or nightculbs either.

It seems that all there is to do in las vegas is go out to eat,shop, go to the movies and stay home and watch tv.

My girlfriends good friends are encouraging us to move to las vegas.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:35 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
You live in L.A. I lived there for over 20 years.

Honestly, how often do you go to museums there? I thought so.
Have season tickets to the L.A. Opera? Nope.
Box seats for the L.A. Symphony? Thought not.

This whole "culture" thing is always something people say they want because it makes them feel sophisticated, but they really never participate in it if they're honest with themselves.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
You live in L.A. I lived there for over 20 years.

Honestly, how often do you go to museums there? I thought so.
Have season tickets to the L.A. Opera? Nope.
Box seats for the L.A. Symphony? Thought not.

This whole "culture" thing is always something people say they want because it makes them feel sophisticated, but they really never participate in it if they're honest with themselves.

I do go to the Ghetty museaum a lot.

And no I don't have tickets for the LA symphony or LA opera.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:39 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
As your single then do it. If you don't like it move again. If marriage and kids are in the picture
being in the 30's are a consideration.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:43 PM

Me and my girlfriend can't afford the apartment rental prices in California.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:14 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I do go to the Ghetty museaum a lot.

And no I don't have tickets for the LA symphony or LA opera.
LOL... I literally WORKED at the Getty Museum for 2 years and rarely went to the exhibits. If you've been once, you've seen it all pretty much. The point is, think about what you do like to do every day and find a place that allows you to do that. Las Vegas is a perfect transition from L.A. if you think in those terms.... actually better. Cheaper, less parking/traffic hassles, cleaner, etc.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
Shoot, there's free museums here.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Shoot, there's free museums here.
What museaums are free in las Vegas

Old 05-13-2015, 08:50 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
Las Vegas is definitely short on museums. The Smith's center offers up a pretty decent set of traveling shows. Of course any musician/comedian/etc will likely stop in Vegas. Tons of food offerings, pretty much any level of any type of food you want.

Where Vegas really excels is outdoor offerings. There is tons of hiking, boating, kayaking, etc. You're close to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, etc.

There is a world class airport with a flight schedule that rivals almost any city if you want to travel.

There is more going on in Seattle for sure, Portland possibly, but cost of living is quite a bit higher in both locales compared to Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas