Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:46 PM

256 posts, read 320,954 times

Advertisements

It's always nice talking to other Texans that realize it's not perfect. I love Texas, and we might end up there one day. That doesn't mean it's perfect though. Far from it. There have been several times that I come home, and talk about my issues with the state. The majority of people respond with "Well it's good you're gone then."

I would love to find a show similar to The Daytripper in Nevada. For a while I thought it wouldn't be easy to translate since Nevada only has a few cities, but the last few episodes of the Daytripper have been set in tiny towns where it was obvious the host was having to work to fill the 26 minute show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 03:32 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
How long have you been gone from Texas?

I think for a Daytripper show for Nevada it might be better to center it around day trips from Las Vegas. Seeing as Texas is really large and you can travel the same amount of time here and reach so much more to do in this region. Maybe call it Daytrippers Las Vegas or Day Trips from Las Vegas. There's loads to do here too and that could probably be endless filler content. I'm still trying to eat my way through Las Vegas.

I finally heard back on where my Grandpa is from in Nevada. He's from Preston, NV and graduated from Lund, NV. On the map that's about three hours from here. The family says they're very small towns and maybe his hometown of Preston is a ghost town. All the rest of the family that stayed in this area is buried there in those towns with some of their children or grandchildren still living there. They said it used to be called Preston waysack because they'd literally put the mail in a waysack and drop it off on the way through town.

All this time I thought he was from more northern Nevada. I never really got to know my Mom's Dad because he died a year after I was born. I've suspected that maybe his spirit had a hand in my husband and I landing in Las Vegas, NV for his residency.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:14 PM

I moved out of Texas on August 2011. How about yourself? We actually almost moved back for my internship, but UCR was not too happy with the idea of me going back to my home state while I'm still a student. They made me sign a contract that I would stay a Californian before I was granted in state tuition.

I really like the ghost towns of Nevada/California. We went to Bodie, CA a while back, and it's really interesting to see a town that used to be a thriving gold/silver town then what it looks like now. They all have so much history. Just another thing that I am excited about when living in Nevada.

Sounds like you have an idea for a TV show ready!

One thing I can say is that, if you ask my family, there is only one spirit that directed me to Vegas, and it's not a holy spirit. I am still having to talk them into even coming out here to visit. It's cool that you can have the opportunity to go out and visit those areas where your family came from way back when.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:23 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
If there are people with Nevada pride here, I haven't met them. I also know a few Vegas natives, who more or less are neither prideful nor regretful that they grew up here. Most of the people I talk to find a sense of nostalgia about this city 20+ years ago but not now. That doesn't mean people don't enjoy themselves and could quickly name 5 things they love about the city. Again though, Vegas and to a lesser extent Reno are typically all that comes to mind when most people think of Nevada. Vegas is a city that has embraced (at least as an image) a sort of vain, morally bankrupt play land. I'd say that only a very small percentage of people actually move here without some type of unrealistic expectation.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
I moved out of Texas on August 2011. How about yourself? We actually almost moved back for my internship, but UCR was not too happy with the idea of me going back to my home state while I'm still a student. They made me sign a contract that I would stay a Californian before I was granted in state tuition.

I really like the ghost towns of Nevada/California. We went to Bodie, CA a while back, and it's really interesting to see a town that used to be a thriving gold/silver town then what it looks like now. They all have so much history. Just another thing that I am excited about when living in Nevada.

Sounds like you have an idea for a TV show ready!

One thing I can say is that, if you ask my family, there is only one spirit that directed me to Vegas, and it's not a holy spirit. I am still having to talk them into even coming out here to visit. It's cool that you can have the opportunity to go out and visit those areas where your family came from way back when.
I left Austin, TX in 1999. I went back in 2003 for six months and then one minor trip more recently in 2012 for a funeral when my 3 and half year old nephew died suddenly.

I've been kicking around what to do for a creative outlet. I have a lot of ideas and inspiration but I'm searching for my passion or purpose with the greatest impact. Right now I just want to start having fun again and living my life.

I'd have to make a budget for production on that idea for the TV show. Maybe do some crowdfunding using Kickstarter. I'd probably like to use Youtube and build a website to stream it so I'm indie. Then use Youtube and Google Analytics for measuring website hits and views so I could attract advertisers. I could write off the equipment I need and travel expenses as business expenses and start my own social media managing or hire out. I'd really need a small team for it and probably some guidance on the legal end. Looks like Chet is a Baylor law school graduate so he has that covered. There is probably some copy write on the name and theme of the creative content. It was called The Day Trip Austin prior to changing it's name to The Daytripper for a wider audience. The run time is around 25 minutes so that wouldn't be as difficult as producing 45 minutes.

Really if I did it I'd be shooting it just for fun but then it would end up becoming work having to be the one man band with the camera, writing, directing, producing, hosting, sound and editing. IMDB says his budget is $50,000. I'm wondering if that's per episode or per season. I'm guessing it's per episode since it looks like he's working with a small crew for a higher production value to air on PBS.

My family and friends all want to come out here and visit and some have, but I don't think it's me they want to see as much as it is to take advantage of knowing a local in Las Vegas. Though next time my Mom comes for a visit I think I'll ask her to take a drive with me to Preston and Lund. I keep trying to get Grandma to come down but she gets altitude sickness badly so traveling for her is more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Most of the people I talk to find a sense of nostalgia about this city 20+ years ago but not now. That doesn't mean people don't enjoy themselves and could quickly name 5 things they love about the city.
That sounds like Austin when I was growing up.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:01 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,439 times
Lot of Texans here, I'm another, although these days I'm just a partimer in both Nevada and Tx. My long term goal is to live in Nevada full-time, with occasional visits to Tx. Main thing holding me back is lack of employment opportunities in the small town I chose. In Tx I can work part-time as a self employed person and do better than I can at a full-time job in Nv. I could probably do better job wise in Vegas, but that would make moving a mute point.

I love Nevada history, and have done a fair amount of research on one particular topic and town, and I'm trying to save one of its historic buildings, but the reality is it is a money pit, and without tax incentives or grants (Nevada has neither) it is just not going to get restored.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:15 PM

The one benefit of being in education is there are tons of jobs for me in Clark County. They need so many teachers that my wife is looking to teach this year through the districts alternative route to licensure program.

I was actually just talking to my brother-in-law about how I'm hoping Nevada can be a good compromise of sorts between everything we want. Hearing that there are a bunch of Texans out there makes me wonder if there aren't a lot of us that think the same thing. Nevada can be a little haven away from the craziness that can be Texas.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:22 PM

What place in Nevada are you interested in wpme?

I certainly don't envy the crazy Texas flooding right now, but I do miss a good Texas thunderstorm. I've never seen anything else like it anywhere.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:28 PM

Yeah I feel the exact same way. I loved the thunderstorms, but I will never forget getting the phone call saying we were being evacuated. That was scary. Or the National Guard in front of our land trying to evacuate us just to see that the only thing leaving our driveway was a boat.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:19 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I was born and raised in Texas. When I left there it took me about three years to get over wanting to go back immediately and about five years to get over the Texas pride thing.

After being gone I did go back between year four and five for about six months. That's when I realized the meaning behind the saying, "Once you leave home you can never go back."

I found that everyone I knew there had stayed the same, and I had changed while I was away. I found myself questioning how I was ever friends with some of them. Some of the places remained the same like the neighborhood I grew up in. Though everyone I ever knew there once had moved out of State and it was like visiting an empty echo of my childhood. Many other places changed and became unrecognizable like my old stomping grounds with my friends. Eventually, I couldn't shake that awkward feeling so I left again and didn't consider looking back that time.

Though I remember I still felt excited seeing my native land with the trees, rivers, plants and rocks I grew up with. The land still felt like home but the people and places in it became foreign to me. Still I did note my hair and skin looking great there compared to where I've lived elsewhere, but that's probably a result my body adapting to my natural environment while growing up.
I'm pretty much the exact same way about West Virginia, except I've never gone back for more than a week or two to visit several times. My first wife did after only a few months here, and she couldn't stand it. You change more than they do for some reason. I guess you take on the habits of the place where you live now. Most of my living relatives are in and around Austin, TX, too, BTW. I lived in Laredo for almost three years and couldn't wait to get back here to Nevada, and/or out of Texas; even though they sent me to Reno instead of Las Vegas, and I was there for almost two years. But I finally made it home again to Las Vegas.

Then about ten years later I was transferred to Albuquerque for over two years. At first I thought maybe I hated it, but it didn't take long to love the place. It's one of the nicest cities in the country. In 2006 or 2007 we were getting ready to sell our house here and buy one over there, when the bottom dropped out. It's probably better that we didn't go though looking back on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas