Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 AM

256 posts, read 321,084 times

Advertisements

I got into a conversation with a buddy of mine the other night about state pride, and we couldn't really identify whether Nevadans are proud to be Nevadans. It seems like there is more regional pride (e.g., LV). Being born and raised in Texas, I'm used to probably too much state pride. Then I moved to California, and I can't leave the apartment without seeing somebody wearing some type of clothing showing pride of California. I tried to do a search for stuff like that for Nevada, but had no luck. Most of the stuff I found was Las Vegas themed.

Anyways, your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 09:59 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
I think that Las Vegas has become a brand. When people think of Nevada, they don't think of Ely, Elko, Mesquite, or Reno. They think of Las Vegas.

Although a recent transplant, I, personally, have Nevada pride. I have read everything I could get my hands on regarding the history of the state as a whole, as well as the history of Las Vegas and Henderson. It is an amazing state, with great history, and I feel very lucky that I'm able to live here!

Old 05-29-2015, 10:10 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
State pride can usually be found on college campuses.

UNR undie run Nevada pride

The soccer girls are at the end of the video, start around the 6:35 time.

While you don't see much Nevada stuff because it's a college campus undie run to show their pride - most of the video is people chanting "I love Nevada or UNR" and "We don't like UNLV" stuff.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 05-29-2015 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 10:38 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
I got into a conversation with a buddy of mine the other night about state pride, and we couldn't really identify whether Nevadans are proud to be Nevadans. It seems like there is more regional pride (e.g., LV). Being born and raised in Texas, I'm used to probably too much state pride. Then I moved to California, and I can't leave the apartment without seeing somebody wearing some type of clothing showing pride of California. I tried to do a search for stuff like that for Nevada, but had no luck. Most of the stuff I found was Las Vegas themed.

Anyways, your thoughts?

Native Las Vegan and proud of it!

Sometimes {but not most of the times}, though, considering what I see nowadays and who I've met that has moved here, there are times that I'm not so sure I'm proud of it

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 05-29-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 12:05 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,265 times
I've opined here before that Las Vegans seem to be gun shy about touting their city and state.

I travel a lot. And, everywhere I go, when I complement a local on their city or state they respond with something like, "Thank you. Glad you like it." Las Vegas is the exception. When I complement a Las Vegan on their city or state it's, "Yeah, but..." and they proceed to tell me something negative. Seriously, it happens to me every time. Maybe it's just sampling error - but it's what I've experienced. I think the locals are so used to taking crap about living here that they don't wait for someone to criticize, they do it themselves as a pre-emptive strategy.

Bill

Old 05-29-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
I've opined here before that Las Vegans seem to be gun shy about touting their city and state.

I travel a lot. And, everywhere I go, when I complement a local on their city or state they respond with something like, "Thank you. Glad you like it." Las Vegas is the exception. When I complement a Las Vegan on their city or state it's, "Yeah, but..." and they proceed to tell me something negative. Seriously, it happens to me every time. Maybe it's just sampling error - but it's what I've experienced. I think the locals are so used to taking crap about living here that they don't wait for someone to criticize, they do it themselves as a pre-emptive strategy.

Bill
I have to say that I am in the exact same boat. I haven't spent much time in the rest of the state (mostly Carson City or Reno) so my opinion is pretty much based on Vegas. Most people I talk to do mention some negative that I must take into account for why the Vegas region isn't that great. Honestly, I never wanted to go to Nevada before I visited the first time. My wife has cousins that live in Henderson, and they talked me into coming to Vegas for a gun show. I was willing to go because I was going to get to leave with a shotgun. My first visit was a little over a year ago, and I've been several times since. I rarely go anywhere near the strip, and I LOVE the area. Anytime I do go near the strip I immediately think about how much I would hate to live near Vegas. M

Hmmm... Maybe I just answered my own question.. Hey, ScoopLV, how often do you go to the strip?

Old 05-29-2015, 03:13 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post

Bill
That is my experience too.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 PM

168 posts, read 212,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
Native Las Vegan and proud of it!

Sometimes {but not most of the times}, though, considering what I see nowadays and who I've met that has moved here, there are times that I'm not so sure I'm proud of it

Same. Its the transplants that ruin it really.

My neighborhood used to be really friendly 10 years ago. People slowly moved away and the California plates came in and now everyone keeps to themselves.

Majority of the natives I've met are friendly and warming.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
You won't find a lot of Nevada pride among all these non-Nevadans. A million and a half came in 20 years? They didn't go to school here, and don't know a thing about Nevada. I'm amazed at the people who seem to think that Las Vegas is the state. Get out and about around the state, and learn some history, then you might become Nevada Proud.

It took me a while to learn - it'll take them some time too. I'm from the most proud state in the country - WEST (by God) Virginia, so it took a while to get over it.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstersizin View Post
Same. Its the transplants that ruin it really.

My neighborhood used to be really friendly 10 years ago. People slowly moved away and the California plates came in and now everyone keeps to themselves.

Majority of the natives I've met are friendly and warming.
This is a concern of mine. My cousins live in Henderson, and they always tell me how they don't know any of their neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You won't find a lot of Nevada pride among all these non-Nevadans. A million and a half came in 20 years? They didn't go to school here, and don't know a thing about Nevada. I'm amazed at the people who seem to think that Las Vegas is the state. Get out and about around the state, and learn some history, then you might become Nevada Proud.

It took me a while to learn - it'll take them some time too. I'm from the most proud state in the country - WEST (by God) Virginia, so it took a while to get over it.
I'm still having trouble getting over my Texas pride. It's definitely not easy, especially living in a state I don't enjoy. I've already subscribed to Nevada Magazine, and am ready to learn as much as I can about the history. That's one of my biggest issues with California. Very rare that historical buildings are saved. The state prefers to destroy them, and build new. If I find Nevada appreciates their history then you might have trouble ever getting rid of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas