Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:33 AM

698 posts, read 986,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
Ok, so its not like you literally are out there with a set of instructions and a shovel!

I'm curious because I have a family friend looking to put a pool in also, and at 80 years old, he can't do any heavy lifting!

I take it then that he sources different people and they do each part, as opposed to just dealing with one pool company to get the work done? -does he manage the build as well or is that where the 'build it yourself' element comes in?

Edit: done a little research, whats Doug Day's connection with Desert springs pools?
Exactly, I worked with a designer for my plans, then a structural engineer for the engineering, then got my permit, excavated, plumbed, steel, electrical, shotcrete, tile, decking, plaster and then start-up. It was interesting, I was speaking with the owner of one of the companies who did a major phase of my build and as we were watching his crew work he told me if you have good subs a pool pretty much builds its self. While I do think it's a little more involved than that, my experience is he's right. With one exception I had very good subs. Even the subs I didn't use came highly recommended.

Subs are the same subs who are doing work for the major pool companies in town, after finishing-up my job they'd be heading to a job for a pool company.

Seems like it would be overwhelming but honestly it's not. It's not for everyone, but if you're willing to get involved in your build from a management perspective you really can save a lot of money and get an upgraded pool. Not saying I didn't have a couple of hiccups along the way because I did, but from my conversations with people who use pool companies they have hiccups as well. Overall good experience and we love the final product.

Here's a picture of what I did. When we started backyard was just dirt. For some perspective on size, the planters are 8' wide (each) and the pots are 3'. Pool is about 26,000 gallons. Took just over six weeks from ground breaking and I created at least a one to two week delay due to needing to be out of town.

Last edited by qingguy; 07-24-2015 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 12:38 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
I'm looking to replaster a pool. Can anyone pass along info for whoever did their plaster on their own pool?

Old 07-25-2015, 11:53 AM

33 posts, read 54,749 times
ok so if you do owner/builder thing and something goes wrong in the middle of that process what do you do?
You don't have company where you can complain.
You have contractors and they can say we did what you asked us.
Lets say at the end of building process you find out that guys didn't do good job with concrete and needs to be fixed.
Because of that all other work (electricians,tile,etc...) needs to be re-done to but they refuse because its not their fault.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:56 AM

33 posts, read 54,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Exactly, I worked with a designer for my plans, then a structural engineer for the engineering, then got my permit, excavated, plumbed, steel, electrical, shotcrete, tile, decking, plaster and then start-up. It was interesting, I was speaking with the owner of one of the companies who did a major phase of my build and as we were watching his crew work he told me if you have good subs a pool pretty much builds its self. While I do think it's a little more involved than that, my experience is he's right. With one exception I had very good subs. Even the subs I didn't use came highly recommended.

Subs are the same subs who are doing work for the major pool companies in town, after finishing-up my job they'd be heading to a job for a pool company.

Seems like it would be overwhelming but honestly it's not. It's not for everyone, but if you're willing to get involved in your build from a management perspective you really can save a lot of money and get an upgraded pool. Not saying I didn't have a couple of hiccups along the way because I did, but from my conversations with people who use pool companies they have hiccups as well. Overall good experience and we love the final product.

Here's a picture of what I did. When we started backyard was just dirt. For some perspective on size, the planters are 8' wide (each) and the pots are 3'. Pool is about 26,000 gallons. Took just over six weeks from ground breaking and I created at least a one to two week delay due to needing to be out of town.

What about warranty, if something goes wrong with anything?

Old 07-25-2015, 02:50 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
I'm looking to replaster a pool. Can anyone pass along info for whoever did their plaster on their own pool?
Adams redid my pool and used a quartz type finish. That was about 3-4 years ago and I've had no problems, no cracks or discoloration. I had the color changing LED lights installed at the same time and it came out very nice. Without digging out receipts, I believe it was around 4-5k.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:16 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
Adams redid my pool and used a quartz type finish. That was about 3-4 years ago and I've had no problems, no cracks or discoloration. I had the color changing LED lights installed at the same time and it came out very nice. Without digging out receipts, I believe it was around 4-5k.
4-5K including the lights?
That's the price when the economy was down 4 years ago. I believe the price has gone up dramatically since then.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
4-5K including the lights?
That's the price when the economy was down 4 years ago. I believe the price has gone up dramatically since then.
With lights that would make sense.

I don't know how much work goes into a re-plaster vs. new plaster but I paid less than that for new plaster work 5 weeks ago (plaster only, no lights etc.)

Old 07-26-2015, 03:06 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Replaster is more expensive since they have to remove the existing material.

I had my pool re-plastered with Pebble Tec by Adams 11 years ago and it was $8,000 for a 15k gallon pool. I skipped doing the tile at that time, so a few years later I had to pay to have to tile redone as they were falling off into the pool (that was $1,850). It's cheaper to do the tile at the same time as the plaster since they can demolish everything at once, I should have done them together.

The Pebble Tec has been fine, but actually just in the last month I've noticed one area is crumbling on the corner of the steps. Apparently Pebble Tec can have an issue on corners. The warranty from Adams is 10 years.

I hate having a pool.

Quote:

I don't know how much work goes into a re-plaster vs. new plaster but I paid less than that for new plaster work 5 weeks ago (plaster only, no lights etc.)

Old 07-26-2015, 03:11 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:

Replaster is ALOT more expensive..

you didn't put lighting??? The colored led is what makes the pool in my opinion

Old 07-26-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Replaster is ALOT more expensive..

you didn't put lighting??? The colored led is what makes the pool in my opinion
No I put in lighting, just not by my plaster guys. Two Pentair 5G LED lights and I agree, they really are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas