Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:07 PM

455 posts, read 652,288 times

Advertisements

We bought our house a year ago and specifically looked for one with a pool, because I didn't want to build from scratch. The honeymoon hasn't worn off yet, we'll see how I feel in a few years, but for now having it greatly increases our time spent outdoors during "living on the face of the sun" season. Our kids are grown and gone, but we're both still working full time at pretty intense jobs, so I have a pool guy, which reduces the amount of weekly maintenance chores for me. Notice I said reduces and not eliminates. There is a certain time commitment involved, even if you have a maintenance company. If I was retired, I would probably handle all of the maintenance myself. Similar to a boat or RV, there is also an ongoing cost involved - things break and need to be fixed. This year, my pool has reached that juncture when the kool-decking starts to crack and spall. This fall will probably bring a project to have it chipped up and redone which will be a few thousand dollars+. All of this is the cost of doing business with a pool. If you use it frequently, enjoy swimming, want to spend time time cooling off outdoors in the summer, and can handle the ongoing repair and maintenance costs, then owning a pool may be for you. I know several people who have decided otherwise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 04:09 PM

347 posts, read 512,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
If you have problems with scaling, that's a pretty good indicator your Calcium Saturation Index is too high. There are a few factor, but the most significant are the pH level and your calcium level. Our water is pretty hard, so you really have to keep an eye on your pH. On the other hand, if you keep your pH a little on the low side, eventually those deposits will dissolve into the water again.
The PH is going to be what it wants to be. I am not going to be a slave to pool chemicals. 1 gal Sodium Hypochlorite / Shock every 2 days is all I am prepared to do.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,590,597 times
Just an opinion but if you do decide to do a pool get a gas heater 400Kbtu. Granted, it will cost some to heat.

You can heat the spa or pool and do it fairly quickly.

Also be sure to get an auto fill on the pool otherwise you will be out there all the time adding water in the summer. I have pebble tec and a blue quartz plaster. I like the color of the quartz plaster better.
Just my opinion.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM

15,864 posts, read 14,491,391 times
Yes, this keeps you on budget, but it also misses the point. Building a pool is a loser when it comes to property value added. You're always going to get less added value at the sale of the house than the money you had to spend to build the pool. And with a cheaper house, but with the same amount spent on a pool, the percentage lost in the overall sale is higher.

I can very much understand wanting a pool in Vegas. Just figure that out BEFORE you buy the house, and buy one that already has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

<snip>

find a house on a pool sized lot that is $50,000 under what you planned on spending and then build the pool.

<snip>

Old 08-18-2015, 04:19 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,075,236 times
Pouring in a gallon on bleach every 2 days is a lot of work! I used to do that.

Now I have the salt chlorinator. I clean the cell (which involves mixing up acid and water and soaking the cell in it) about once per month in the summer, once every 3 months off season.

I skim the pool and empty the filter baskets every week or two. I'd have to more often if I was using it.

If I am staying on top of acid, that requires me adding approx one gallon of pool store strength acid per week in the summer.

I clean the filters once per year.

It's really not that much maintenance, but the costs do add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
The PH is going to be what it wants to be. I am not going to be a slave to pool chemicals. 1 gal Sodium Hypochlorite / Shock every 2 days is all I am prepared to do.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:22 PM

638 posts, read 594,687 times
Very good post by zumaboy.

I'm about 18 months into home ownership, and the pool was built many years ago.

If I total up everything I've spent on the pool since I've had it, it includes weekly maintenance, draining, bead blasting, putting in a larger filter, and adding pool automation, I'm probably in for about $8/9k already (admittedly half was optional) I have a couple of minor repairs due, and am seriously considering changing the pump for a more energy efficient one for $1k. When I bought the house the heater wasn't working so I had them change it, I believe it cost the warranty company $2k.

I've ignored the high electric bills (I figure my pump costs $100-$150 a month to run).

Not really sure what my point is other then giving some long term costs, but if anything it's that even buying a place with a pool can give you expenses due to its age, whereas building new and you'd at least be covered for a lot of these things for a while.

Funnily enough the amount of time I spend there it probably set me back about $400 a swim, but while you're relaxing in the pool, floating with a cocktail, it's priceless....

Old 08-18-2015, 04:25 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Yes, this keeps you on budget, but it also misses the point. Building a pool is a loser when it comes to property value added. You're always going to get less added value at the sale of the house than the money you had to spend to build the pool. And with a cheaper house, but with the same amount spent on a pool, the percentage lost in the overall sale is higher.

I can very much understand wanting a pool in Vegas. Just figure that out BEFORE you buy the house, and buy one that already has one.
Yes and no...

I agree that you wont get all the money back spent on building it... especially at 50k.... but...at least in my case..I think the pool will sell my house at a premium quick.. I dont have a standard rectangle pool....

Old 08-18-2015, 05:46 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,965,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
I had mine bead blasted, bit of a waste of money since it's only been a year and looks as bad as it did before.

What did you use to scrape them?
Use a pumice stone. About $8 at pool stores. I like the ones at NPS, a little coarser so it works faster.
Also use "Phos-Free" weekly. It keeps the water line deposits to a minimum.
Gas heater yes. But a pool cover will use the sun to keep water warm.
I shock every two weeks or so with 2 paks of that $1.50 stuff, works great.
I clean filter basket and pump filter once a day or two days. I clean canister filters 4 times a year. All in all not a lot of work and we use the pool 4or 5 times a week during the summer and spa about twice a week year round.
But with all this said this is my first and last pool.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:49 PM

698 posts, read 986,543 times
We finished ours about 7 weeks ago so we're still in the honeymoon phase so keep that in mind on what I'm about to write; we love ours, definitely extends our outdoor lifestyle. Have had many guests, nephews, nieces, cousins visit this summer and it's nice having the option to have a pool day vs. playing tour guide on the strip or Hoover Dam (honestly, how many times can one take that dam tour?) We'll definitely get a lot of use out of it.

I did what is called an owner builder and didn't pay close to what you've budgeted for your pool. I also know someone who built something similar to what you are thinking for around 30K. See my post here, scroll down and you can see my pool - https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-vegas/2416248-build-pool-not-build-pool-i-2.html

It's not that difficult and you can save quite a bit of money AND get in upgraded pool. If you're interested in learning about it feel free to send me a PM.

I do all my pool maintenance and use a method that does not require that I run to the pool store every week and buy chemicals. I've bought pool conditioner (CYA) and Acid from the pool store, that's it. Very easy to maintain.

Lastly, don't install the pool thinking you're going to increase your house value or make it easier to sell. Install it because you and your family will enjoy it.

Going out to take a dip in about 30 minutes, beating this heat for sure!

Old 08-18-2015, 05:52 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,641,494 times
A pool after a year is like a cold soda in the fridge.
You know its there, and that makes you happy, but you keep it for company

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: